Was it the water?

Ihidkmc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had to put down my cat of 18 years a few days ago. I found sprawled out on the floor looking like she had collapsed and breathing heavy. She hadn’t eaten much that day but did drink some water. Took her to the vet and they discovered she had a lung full of fluid. They did some blood work and her sugar values were all high, her blood count was all messed up and she was dehydrated. She had also lost a pound in the last month. They weren’t entirely sure what was wrong but because of her age and prior kidney problems they felt that even if they drained the lung and pushed fluids into her it wouldn’t help as she seemed to be too far gone. Even if it did help they thought it may only help for days, not even weeks. So we decided to put her down.

I cleaned out her pet fountain a few days later and found a slimey looking mold growing on the filter. After reading about mold toxicity I can’t help to think that she may have gotten sick from that. When I read the symptoms, many of them matched other symptoms of things like her old age, the advancing kidney disease and other problems she had but I can’t help to think that this mold may have put her over the edge. I had cleaned it recently and have never had problems with mold build up like this before.
I’m kicking myself because I wonder if she may still be around had I found that mold. I feel terrible and keep balling my eyes out thinking that I could have done better. Please tell me it’s not all my fault.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - it sounds to me that she was one of those kitty's who had a lot going on health-wise, and honestly there's no way to know which one of the various things caused the final issues.
I cleaned out her pet fountain a few days later
Plus, I don't know of course, but it's possible the mold didn't start until after she'd had her last drink out of the fountain.

Bless your heart, but she wouldn't want you to feel so badly. It's not your fault, I promise :vibes::heartshape::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ihidkmc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - it sounds to me that she was one of those kitty's who had a lot going on health-wise, and honestly there's no way to know which one of the various things caused the final issues.

Plus, I don't know of course, but it's possible the mold didn't start until after she'd had her last drink out of the fountain.

Bless your heart, but she wouldn't want you to feel so badly. It's not your fault, I promise :vibes::heartshape::hugs:
Thanks for the reassurance.

There were other things at play but I can’t help to think that may be what put her over the edge. I certainly hope it wasn’t but I guess there is no way to really know. I still can’t help feeling bad about it.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat wouldn't want you to suffer guilt over her passing. She'd want you to remember and celebrate the good times you had together.

Don't worry. You were there at the end- with fortitude, love and compassion- when your cat needed you.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
18 years is a very long life for a cat. The fact that she lived that long is a testament to the love and care you gave her, and which I’m sure she returned in full.
Unfortunately, they just don’t have the lifespan we would wish for. It’s never easy when we lose them to the battles of age. Try not to get caught up in guilt; there’s always going to be some kind of tipping point, no matter what we do.
Remember the love ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ihidkmc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
18 years is a very long life for a cat. The fact that she lived that long is a testament to the love and care you gave her, and which I’m sure she returned in full.
Unfortunately, they just don’t have the lifespan we would wish for. It’s never easy when we lose them to the battles of age. Try not to get caught up in guilt; there’s always going to be some kind of tipping point, no matter what we do.
Remember the love ❤
Thanks.

She did have some problems other than old age. She just seemed to decline so quickly. As I play back in my mind through her last days I remember seeing signs that maybe I should have paid more attention to. If I had, maybe she would still be around. Or maybe she had problems that we didn’t know about and a combination of everything finally just caught up to her. I guess we will never know.