was getting a cat, not sure ifs its a good idea

funkyguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found someone on the net gving away 4 kittens, and I emailed her that I was interested in one of them...

i got photos of it, its really cute and decided that i would come and get it when its 12 weeks old ( it twas 8 week at the time)

I called her yesterday, and I asked her if the cat is using the litterbox like it should and if the cat was ready to be picked up next wedensday, but then she told me that the kittens have been outside all the time since it was born and she had no control  over its bathroom habits!

this was surprising to me, because I thought it would be normal to bring newborn kittens inside...

is it a bad idea to get this cat? will i get it to use the litterbox if I bring it home? I assume the kitten has never seen one before...

what to do? am I asking for trouble by getting this cat?

I really like this cat, ive got many photos of it, it looks so cute..but I dont want it to pee and poop everywhere

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may not be well socialized, and that can be a big problem.  Kittens pick up litter box use very easily, usually.

However, you will need to take the kitten immediately to the vet for a checkup, worming, etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's a farm kitten (basically. Even if it's not really a farm). I've had mixed results with farm kittens. It seems to depend on how social their mother is. I have never had trouble with litterbox training though--that seems to be instinctual (you might have to sprinkle a bit of dirt on top of the litter at first, though). The main problem is how wild they might be. I would say that it depends on how it reacts when you come to visit. If he/she is friendly and easily handled, I think it should be OK. If the kittty hides and/or freaks out when handled, I'd pass.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is my experience that within a few days or a week, he should be fine.  He'll hide for some time but eventually become more comfortable and will explore at night when it is quiet and dark.   The litter box isn't an issue, they learn it quickly.  A lot of people believe it is the mother that teaches them socialization or gives them their personality.  I am inclined to disagree.  I have known plenty of kittens that are the polar opposites of their mother on personality or socialization.  Just take it slow and let him come to you.  Tempt him with treats and talk softly and sweetly to him so he can get used to the sound of your voice.  Lots of people have success getting down on the floor with them so they are not as frightened. 

Even freaking out when handled the first time by you, such as when you pick him up, doesn't really mean anything.  He could just be scared.  He doesn't know you and you are trying to take him from the place and family he does know.  It can work.  Just don't push it.  Kittens usually come around quickly.  But it can take a week or two... Often not that long but considering he has never been indoors, everything will be foreign to him so give him time and love and understanding is my best advice. 

I would take him to the vet to be checked out first and have flea medication put on him.  Odds are he has fleas and you don't want them coming into your home with him. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

funkyguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what worries me the most was not getting it to use the litterbox, and my mind is put to rest now....

about the mothercat; it says in the ad that she is a VERY kind cat that gets along with everybody and everything...

I also asked the owner if the mothercat takes good of the kittens , and she told me she is a great mother, always watching over the kittens....

I assume the kittens are used to humans playing with them and holding them,,,

I think i will give this cat a try...

another thing that worries me is that the cat has to take a 2 hour cardrive to get to my house....im gonna buy a cage of course...any advice here? (about pee/poo, puking) and getting it to relax

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, such a cute little kitty! Crossing my fingers that her "education" will go smoothly.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the kitten in a carrying case with some washable bedding and, possibly, some "puppy pads" in the bottom.  Not much you can safely do about it, otherwise.

Do NOT give in to its cries and pleading for being let out until you safely have it in a "safe room" like a bathroom or something at home.  It's likely to bolt blindly and you may never see it again.

Last edited:

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, I have brought both adult cats and kittens in from the barn and no litter problems. The eldest resident pretty much shows them acceptable behaviour and never an accident except with Da Magpie. She came in cold and weak, and couldn't always make it to the box, but I gave her pads (have human bed protectors for under the food dishes because Da Lip is a sloppy eater) and she used those for a few days. That said, kittens sometimes will have accidents simply because they ARE kittens, and get too involved in play and. as with young human children, things sometimes happen.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm going to throw my 2 cents in here to add to the other posters' replies:

l've only ever had one barn cay - one of the few females l owned. She came to me at 8 weeks old, had rarely been handled, had never been inide a house, and was ill with a URI.

She turned out to be one of the most amazing cats l've had, and she lived to be 21 years old, so there may be some hardy stock in those outside kitties.

l wouldn't worry about toileting, cats are naturally clean. As long as he can see where the litter is in each room till he gets used to his place, he'll use it. (l think it's a He).

Oh, and he'll wail like a Banshee on the drive home - don't be alarmed :)

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was feral up until about 5-6 months old and had no problem with a litterbox. We DID have to socialize him and it took him about a month to get over being shy with his new surroundings and with us but he's awesome now (well.... he's still shy around strangers but I know non-feral cats that are the same, including my parents cat, whom they had since she was 2 months old, and she was raised indoors with her mom).

THere are some good socializing tips on the board, you can try taking a look at them (look under socializing a feral in the search box). But sounds like your kitty may even be partially socialized anyway so things will probably be easier than a completely feral kitty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh aren't you a love for adopting this kitty! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :D

Put the kitten in a carrying case with some washable bedding and, possibly, some "puppy pads" in the bottom.  Not much you can safely do about it, otherwise.

Do NOT give in to its cries and pleading for being let out until you safely have it in a "safe room" like a bathroom or something at home.  It's likely to bolt blindly and you may never see it again.

:yeah: Those puppy wee-wee pads work perfectly. We have a cat that evacuates out of every orifice when we travel 10 minutes to the vet. :rolleyes: Do crack a couple of windows on the car a bit just so there's some air movement. Put the seat belt around the crate so it's secure. Maybe drape a blanket over the top of the crate, that often helps.

Other suggestions: Buy the crate. Get one that loads from the top and has a door on the side. In the future, that top loader will be the easiest way to get kitty in there, BUT, if you can, you want to be able to leave the crate out, so it becomes a "safe" space for your baby, so that getting out the crate when you need to go to the vet won't be any big deal. The crate itself will be "safe." :nod:

Buy FELIWAY SPRAY now. (Also called Comfort Zone). Have a safe room set up for your kitty. THEY DO NOT NEED A LOT OF SPACE AT FIRST. In fact, your bedroom is the best place for this, because there's humans are never "safer" than when they're sleeping. :lol3: Cats are ALL about territory, and he will be taken from his - from his family - from everything he knows, and it will be completely normal to be scared out of his mind and want to hide.

Spray the crate with a lot of Feliway the night before you go to pick him up. (Also spray it around in the safe room, whatever that will be. Just don't spray it near the litter box(es). If you can buy a harp music CD - celtic harp music - if it doesn't drive you out of your mind, it will help calm him some on the drive home. You may also want to consider buying a small stuffed toy kitty cat and an old fashioned "tick tock" clock. You may be able to find this cheaper somewhere, but and Snuggle Kitties are a little large - between large sibling and mom-sized cat, but this is what I'm talking about: If you get a snuggle kitty, I think they come with the heartbeat and batteries you need. But it helps baby not feel so alone. :heart2: (But even a small blanket wrapped over a tick tock clock will do the same thing). But put that in the crate. And leave it for him somewhere - maybe the crate with a bed in it once it's cleaned up if he does pee/poop/vomit in it on the way home

I would consider blocking off access to under your bed, because that's likely where he'll want to hide, and you want him hiding in places he can see you and you can get to him. But DO get safe spaces set up for him. A small end table with a cloth draped over it almost to the floor (but so he can peer out. Kitties universally love boxes - a box on it's side with a flap hanging down... stuff like that, placed strategically around the room will really help.

Now... this is all assuming he's scared, which is a good assumption. He may not be. :cross: But just in case, ideas to get you ready for this...

Litter boxes. I would buy two, and it's important that they not be covered. They should be low-sided at first, so it's easy for him to get in and out. You can change that later, but for starters, it's best. Kitties that have been living outside are not used to peeing and pooping in the same place. This provides that need. Even though it's more expensive, I would buy Dr. Elsley's Precious Cat Kitten Attract litter at first. You can change to regular clumping litter after a few weeks. And you may need to put a layer of potting soil (NO CHEMICALS ADDED) over the top, just so he recognizes it. (And since he's used to living outside, do NOT be surprised if he likes lying on the litter in the box at first, this is familiar to him - and another good reason for providing two boxes at first, so one can be a place to lie down, and the other can be the bathroom). IF he doesn't use the litter box right off the bat, soak up his pee and put the paper towel with his pee in it in the litterbox. Same with poop - put the poop in the box. I doubt you'll even need to do either, but if that happens, once you do, he'll get it immediately. Having that scent in the right place will "click" for him. :nod:

Do get a good enzyme type cleaner just in case. Regular cleaners don't clean up pee well enough. This stuff works really well:
But I doubt he'll have any issues transitioning to a box. Cats that are rescued from outside are typically the most fastidious about using boxes. We've NEVER had one of our cats not use a box properly (we have 8, they're all feral rescues) unless they were medically ill. And he'll have been with his family for 12 weeks, so that's a big plus there too. Mom will have taught him how to take care of his business. ;)

Here's an article I wrote on socializing feral cats. http://catcentric.org/care-and-heal.../socializing-a-feral-cat-its-all-about-trust/

That was much more directed at socializing older ferals. It goes MUCH more quickly with kittens, and with interactive wand toys (good examples: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/247491/my-cat-from-hell#post_3237670 ), your little baby will be out in no time. :lol3:

Oh - in fact, that thread ("my cat from hell" Is a good read on how to discipline/praise your kitty to train her what's OK and what's not. :nod: Basically, punishment doesn't work for cats, but praise does. She needs to know what's "right" just as much - if not more than - what's wrong. :)

Can't WAIT to hear about your kitty once you get the baby home!!!!!! :rub: :D :clap:

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know my oldest cats whole history but I do know that he was an outdoor cat for at least 5 days..I work at a golf course and he began hanging around on a Friday ...was still there on Monday because everyone, myself included was feeding him..I decided on the way in to work on Tuesday that if he was still there I was going to take him home..he was so at the end of my shift I scooped him up, put him in the car and took him..on the way home stopped Pet Supplies and got the basics including litter and a litter box..after letting him roam the house for a half hour or so I picked him up and put him in the litter box..he pawed at the litter for a bit and right there in front of me he took a pee..been in there ever since..when I took him for his 1st vet visit they estimated him at 6 months or so..