Wanting To Get A Dog But Have A Very Aggressive Cat. Please Help.

Is it a possibility to get a dog?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kierrak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure if this is the right place to put this but I really need some advice. I’m 17 and live with my parents and we currently have a 5 year old indoor cat called willow. She is very aggressive to visitors and will often hiss or attack them is they are too close to her and will even attack us if we touch her a lot of the time. I love her to pieces but I would really like to get a dog. I struggle with anxiety and depression and think it would really help me to get a emotional support dog just as a compaion for when I’m alone or feeling at my worse but I am unable to do this as my parents believe we could not have a dog without getting rid of our cat willow. When family members have brought round dogs she has never actually attacked them but has hissed or refused to be in the room they’re in. I would never get rid of her in order to have a dog and just really need some advice.
Is there any way to get a dog with such a aggressive cat? And is there anyway to stop her being so aggressive?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think any cat would hiss and hide from a strange dog that someone brought over to visit. There is no way to tell how the cat will react to a dog that you get to live there, and properly introduce to the cat, without actually doing so. It might take time, and effort to properly introduce them. But i would not say its not possible, just because she does not like strangers, i wouldn't necessarily call that aggressive, just defensive of her territory. Proper and slow introduction would be necessary. :heartshape:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Cats and dogs are often a far easier intro than cats and cats, especially if said dog is a fairly chilled out character, clear boundaries are set as to his/her expected behaviour, and the cat is given plenty of safe places and escape routes so the dog can't make her feel backed into a corner.

I would look for either a chilled out puppy (if you're up for doing a lot of work and training yourself - ideally including puppy classes with a good trainer), or a relaxed, low energy adult who has been cat tested or succssfully lived with cats previously. Either way, prepare yourself for a fair amount of work, both in and out of the home. A puppy will be considerably more of a handful, but even an adult dog will need training and reinforcing about your 'cat rules' and house rules, and work to help build a bond between the two of you. Training and play are the best ways to build a strong bond, regardless of age, as well as creating a more relaxed, obedient and happier dog :)

Be prepared for a rocky start to the cat/dog relationship though. The dog shouldn't be off leash around the cat until it is clear that the cat isn't seen as a toy, and I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised for a few months or so (this includes at night). Dog crates make such a difference here, as kitty can really get close to and inspect the dog without any risk to either party. I crate train all my dogs, and they love it...to the point of going in there for naps when they want some space or peace! Win-win :D

I'm not trying to dissuade you at all - just to make the level of work and commitment needed to have a successful cat/dog home :)
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Caring For Cats And Dogs

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: In addition to the article links Columbine Columbine posted, here's one more on Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats

And another one on Introducing Cats To Dogs

I've never had a cat and dog in the same household, but there's a thread with a feral/stray cat that was brought into a household with a dog. At first the cat would hiss at the dog. It took some time, but the pic in the below link, shows that they are now friends, or at least not bitter enemies. ;) First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray