Want to switch to the best dry food possible for my cat - need suggestions

chrissie1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have 3dogs..and when I only had one, shes now 10years old, I was feeding her Science Diet, Iams..and I thought I was feeding top quality food. When I brought the 2nd dog, Kelsey shes 2years old..I went to a forum, much like this one dedicated to her and the other two dogs breed. They are all pit bulls, and I became educated on dog nutrition.

I learned that Science Diet and Purina and Iams and Pedigree were all crap. Those foods carry NO nutrional value, and are made to have longer shelf lifes. The exact same thing can be said about cat food.

Google local pet stores..not pet smart or Petco, but local, little pet stores. There you will find the "good" cat food, and cat treats. I feed my dogs Timberwolf dry kibble, and my cat eats Orijen dry kibble. My cat also eats canned cat food...by Merrick.

A few good top quality brands of cat food: Merrick, Orijen, InnovaEvo, Timberwolf makes an awesome cat food, but the name has lost me at the moment,. Itcan be found on their site. California Natural, Felidae.

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat which is where we get differing opinions on food and people claiming the food won't improve health or increase lifespan. Sure some can eat dirt, have no apparent health issues, maintain good weight, and live in to their teens. I am serious I have a barn cat that will eat dirt, cheap cat food, and most anything else she finds laying around and all that is true. My grandpa also has a cat that has to be over 14 because it's been 12years since she showed up as a full grown cat and she eats the cheapest thing he can possibly get from walmart.

However I still don't believe food makes no difference. It has been seen by many people that their animal's health problems all went away and even those with no health problems suddenly seemed healthier from feeding better foods. It's been proven time and again that food does have an impact on health and even lifespan. Just because a handful can eat dirt and live forever doesn't mean majority won't benefit from better foods. People who argue against what are considered higher quality diets usually have experience with that handful that happen to have good genetics. Now if you have one with good genetics then you can buy cheap food and use the extra money to keep your catnip habit going but for most that's not true.

In my own experience I found California Natural to be the best for my money. It's fairly cheap compared to similar quality foods, good for alleriges, all my cats can keep it down, all my cats eat it eagerly, and they've never been in better health. 3weeks of that after feeding purina for years and my sister tried to tell me that wasn't Carmel. Her coat was fluffier, her colors are 10times darker, and instead of always being a very tiny lightweight cat she's gotten really heavy and it's all muscle. My sister said she's huge now and looks like a normal sized cat for the first time. My 2nd choice if your keeping cost in mind would probably be Natural Balance but mine don't really like it as well and one has a very sensitive tummy so the CN worked out better. The rest of the foods I like are more expensive. If I had the money I'd do premade RAW, if I had the time I'd do RAW, but I don't.