Want to adopt cat... will he spray??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My sister adopted a male last year and he was a kitten and he has to go.
He is spraying and my sister has tried everything.
He was fixed at 3 months of age and he still does it.
That IS alarming....especially since the only way for a spraying cat to "go" would be to have him killed (I think we forget, because having him "put to sleep" sounds so peaceful, that it IS simply having the cat killed....which may be necessary sometimes, but should not be taken lightly).

Have they looked into hormonal treatments? I hear many of them are very effective. How about other medications? Some anti-depressants are quite effective. I hardly think killing the cat would be preferable to medicating him.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said she found someone to take him that knows what he does.
He has been doing this for at least 8-10 months.
What I mean by have to go is she can not have him in her place.
My sister would never have a cat pts for spraying.
In fact I hate when people do stuff like that and have told people off.
I do not know why any one would get that idea.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dashalovesyou

Given what a sweatheart that cat was, we aren't too concerned that he will get left behind - he will probably react as positively to someone else as he did with us and find a forever home.
Wish I could be as optimistic as you about that. The fact is that thousands of wonderful cats, just like Mr. Darcy, are PTS every year simply because there are too many of them. And most of them are adult cats because so many potential adopters don't even make it past the kitten cages.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Twenty years ago I had two kittens - brother and sister - and I SWORE after dealing with absolute madness 24/7 that I would never, ever have two kittens together again. There was so much energy flying around I don't know how they didn't explode. I loved them dearly, but two at a time was just too much.

Ironically, even though they were both spayed and neutered very young, Orfie began to spray when we moved out of the apartment into our house. He was 4 years old.

So... my point is, two kittens at a time aren't always the best thing, and they can still grow up to spray, no matter how young you got them.

Please go adopt the two-year-old kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dashalovesyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mr. Darcy is no longer at the shelter! Since he is not available for adoption yet, that means he had an owner and was picked up!

Solves our problem and his problem!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dashalovesyou

Mr. Darcy is no longer at the shelter! Since he is not available for adoption yet, that means he had an owner and was picked up!

Solves our problem and his problem!
That is excellent news!

As you can probably tell by many of our comments, we were rooting for Mr. Darcy!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure hope that is what it means. And I hope his owners take precautions to keep him indoors. I was really hoping he would go to a great home.