Want A Cat Tree For Very Large Cat.

SirBubbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i have 1 cat a mainecoon hes big around 25 pounds.
We just got GoPetClub 62-inch Cat Tree, Beige
However its way too small unfortunately my companion who purchased it didn't do any research and failed to notice its suggested weight limit is about 15 pounds.

He can barley fit in the cubbyhole on middle platform and the hole at the top is too small and the basket on the end cant hold him...

Im not looking for anything crazy fancy i would like it to be around 62 inch can be little smaller or little bigger just don't want like a 30-40. I would love it if it had those U shaped platforms at least 1 as well as 1 cubbyhole at the least. Also a decent platform he can sprawl out across and bask in the sun.

I'm not rich i would prefer to stay below $100 but if i need to go to $125 or so it wont kill me.

If anyone has any recommendation i would appreciate it. I have been searching around for a the past couple days but i just can't seem to find anything that isn't $800 Haha.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check out Deluxe Cat Trees

I have a 13 pound of muscle Snowshoe. While not a large cat he is beefy; he has knocked over chairs and been known to hang from the cat bed. I've never seen it wobble or been worried about it tipping even with his antics. I know other members with much larger cats have used them without problems.

You could also make your own. One of the problems with most manufactured trees is the connection between the levels. It's usually (even on the ones I mentioned) a single screw in the middle of the pillar. The pillar also tends to be hollow or rope isn't well attached. The Kitty Mansion I have is fairly well built but if the walls of the pillar were thinner I wouldn't feel as comfortable and I am fully aware that some day I will need to replace the ropes. If you build your own you can ensure more stability and durability. We have a member who started building their own scratching posts because of that same reason Art, Motion And Sound's Scratching Post Giveaway - 2018

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully someone else has had better luck, but the two cat trees I have were both in the $200-$300 range for something that was big enough and strong for my cats (one being a Maine coon). Unfortunately, if you want to try to stay in the $100 range I would suggest looking at making your own or find someone that can make one for you.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I paid around $300 to $350 for this in late 90s, has lasted a very long time. I purchased it at a pet store. It is approximately 2 feet by 2 feet and 4 feet high. It is very solid and good quality carpet.

It would cost considerably more to purchase that now so I made the following. The one I purchased is carpet glued really well and none of the carpet is pulling off it even after all these years. So I used carpet glue on the following and glued both surfaces, wood and back of carpet, so it would stick really well like the first one I got.

That one is supported by four 4x4 posts and has 3/4 inch flooring plywood on the top and base. I could dance on that one if I wanted to. I regret spending time on making the carpet covered tubes as they rarely use them and prefer to lay on top of the tubes instead of inside them. The second one I call my Cat Condo and it is 28 inches deep, three feet long and three feet high. It cost around $200-250 for the materials used to make it. I used Solvent Free Low VOC carpet glue.

The last one I call a Cat Perch.

The last one is 2 feet deep, 3 feet long and 6 feet high. About $200 for the materials to make it. I used Solvent Free Low VOC carpet glue on it as well.

If you can get your hands on free or used wood and carpet you could greatly reduce the cost of making them. I was going to Home Depot and buying small rolls of carpet. It may be better to go to a carpet store and see if they have scraps they would sell cheaper. Or look up carpet installers on the net and give one of them a call to see if they have some scraps for sale. Get the carpet glue in the larger containers (1 gallon) as you will easily go through a couple of small containers making one. I used cheap plastic putty knifes to spread the carpet glue.

I can't say exactly how much they cost me to make as I was getting the wood from work for free so I approx. what the wood would cost. I think I approx. a little high so it is likely a little bit cheaper.

Most definitely making them is the way to go as I cannot imagine how much the 6 foot high one would cost me. I added stabilizers to it at the bottom so it will hold a lot of weight, not as much as the 4 post one I made as I could dance on the 4 post one.