Wandering Mom? (urgent)

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

So, before anyone starts yelling at me that I'm some sort of horrible person, please read my entire situation before commenting.

We had to go out of the state for a week and were forced to leave our pregnant cat with some friends. This morning we came home and we got a call from said frienss that Bagghera had started to give birth.

The friend was not able to keep her for the next few days so we were forces to pick her up today. We left the house immediately after the call and went to get her and the kittens.

When we got to her house she had given birth to three kittens. We took her into the car and placed her in a towel-covered bin with her kittens. I drove as slowly and carefully as I could but she was freaking out, running all over the car, panting, etc. (probably from trauma that she expierenced when she was a kitten... she was transported to us in awful conditions).

When we got home we put her in a separate room where it was nice and quite and she seemed to calm down a little, began purring even, and gave birth to two more kittens.

(I should probably mention now that she is a very young mother and this is her first litter, so she may not have an immediate motherly instinct, but honestly, I just have no idea at this point...)

Shortly after she gave birth to the fifth kitten, she hesitantly left her nest and started sniffing around in closests. That's when I knew she wanted to go to a more secluded area.

I had picked up and moved one of the kittens because it was crawling away from the nest, and because she didn't seem bothered by my interference, I thought it was okay to handle them... I now regret my decision to do that because I'm worried she is going to abandon them...

Once she found a suitable closest she began taking her kittens there one by one, but left one of them at the old nest... I wanted to put it with the others while Bagghera was gone but was told not to by my family members... Although we pointed a heater on the left behind kitten, I think it's still by itself and I feel awful...

She seems like she is spending way too much time away from them... She's wandering the house, meowing, not appearing for hours, and I'm starting to get really worried about the poor kittens...

When the kittens climb on her or try to nurse she gets really impatient and carefully knocks them off of her, like she's annoyed by them.

So, what should I do? Should I wait a few days to see if she'll get used to them? Should I start hand-feeding them? Should I put the fifth kitten into the new nest or will she do it? Why is she acting like this? What can I do? Will the kittens be all right? I'm extremely worried.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put the fifth kitten in the nest immediately. It should not be alone. Please add a heat source for all the kittens, such as a heating pad set on low under a blanket with room to move off if it gets too warm.

Close mom in the room with her kittens. She does not need the run of the house right now. Put her food, water, and litter in the room with her.

Do begin feeding the kittens now too. It sounds like they desperately need food. They should also nurse mom, who will hopefully calm down once you put your foot down about her staying in the room with her kittens for now.

If she does not settle and feed them regularly, you’ll need to hand raise them.

Please keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, your cat is hormonal right now having just given birth. It often takes new moms 48 hours to settle down. Give her a dish of KMR a day. She needs the calcium. She also sounds confused after being in another home for a week and the car ride, and having kittens in 2 different places.

Staying in one room should help her to feel safe. Give her time, but go ahead and supplement the babies for now. They must eat.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto to everything that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said! Also *most* moms will not abandon their babies when moms handle them. That's an old wives tale, even most wildlife will not. Of course there are some exceptions to the rule, but generally you should be fine to handle them. So don't worry about moving the baby back to the nest and also picking them up to feed them. She should settle with them once she is closed in the room with them and her hormones level out some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are they doing today? All together now in the room? Did you feed the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are they doing today? All together now in the room? Did you feed the kittens?
Hey, guys, thanks for the help!

I think they're doing well! Bagghera ended up having one more kitten overnight!

As soon as I woke up I closed her in the kitten room and gave her food, water, and her litter box. I also turned the heater off for the babies. They are all together now.

I'm going to let her feed them today... maybe the hand-feeding is not needed? I picked the up to move them and they all had little pot bellies so hopefully they're okay?

One kitten does look a littttttttle smaller than the rest... should I weigh them all? When? What should I do for the smaller kitten?

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH ALSO!

When can I check up on them/watch them? Should I give her her space? Is it okay for me to keep on going in and out of the room every hour or so just to check up on them?

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also forgot to mention that it looks like she doesn't mind having us around... before she had the last kitten yesterday she was meowing and on the stairs, as if she was calling us upstairs with her. Like, as soon as we went to here, she went upstairs, as though she was saying "come here."

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just came in to check on them and it looks like the smallest kitten has died..... how did this happen? I'm so upset.

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So I helped the rest of the five kittens to a teat and they all look like they're eating now... should I still go and by the KMS milk formula just in case?

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like Bagghera has no idea what to do and is only calm when someone is in the room helping her...

When I opened the door she was sitting right beside it, far away from her kittens.

As soon as I sat down by her kittens she started rubbing against me and laid down and that's when I helped the kittens to her. Now she's relaxed and letting them eat while I'm sitting next to them... I'm scared to leave the alone now haha

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs you for now. Please weigh the kittens daily. You need to know if any need additional support.

Are you able to keep mom inside and away from intact males all of the time until the kittens have weaned?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can go in often to be with mom. It seems to calm her. I would not allow other people in right now though.

You should buy powdered kitten formula to have on hand, and to give mom a dish a day. She needs the calcium, and you may need to supplement the kittens.

It’s unfortunate the runt died. If it’s the same one that was left out, it’s because the kitten got cold and starved to death.

Why did you turn the heater off?

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can go in often to be with mom. It seems to calm her. I would not allow other people in right now though.

You should buy powdered kitten formula to have on hand, and to give mom a dish a day. She needs the calcium, and you may need to supplement the kittens.

It’s unfortunate the runt died. If it’s the same one that was left out, it’s because the kitten got cold and starved to death.

Why did you turn the heater off?
I will.

And it's not the one that got left out.

Should I turn it back on to "Low?" I turned it off because we put the mom inside and it's really warm in this room... but I can turn it back on and keep it on

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I turned it back on and set it to 70 degrees

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Like is this normal for her to be doing this?

Sorry for the sideways photo.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is what normal? Mom taking breaks?

It’s okay for mom to take breaks. This is why you need heat on though, so the kittens do not get cold. They cannot regulate their own body temperatures the first 3 weeks.

I think you need to make the kittens’ area to roam smaller these first 3 weeks. They need to stay contained and closer together. They will begin needing to explore soon enough.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I know about new born kitten care is what I have read from our experts. I know they will request that you weigh the kittens twice daily and that way you will know who will possibly need any supplementation. Do you have a scale handy to weigh them? Also, so sorry that one of them did not make it. As sarther2 stated, please have enough room next to the heating pad where the kittens can scoot off the warm heated area if they get too warm. ;)

Millitrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got it. I'll go out and buy the KMS and heat pad. I'll also make their area smaller.

So, right now the kittens and her are in my step brother's room and he really doesn't want them to be in his room... is it okay if I make a space in my closest in my room and move everybody in there? I can keep better track of them since I am the one who is most involved with them.