WalMart

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know their prices are really good but the ones close to me have their problems.  I can take rude employees, I think I'm overly sensitive to that because I am older and remember when service people were much more helpful than they are now.  The ones here are really dirty and I can't buy food at a store that is dirty.  I know that I can't see what is in the back at other supermarkets but at least the front is clean at the ones that I go to.

curlyqpgh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find their business practices to be repugnant, and I won't shop there unless its my only option. In Wisconsin, each store costs the state about $5,800 per employee due to their poor wages and poor and/or expensive health care coverage.

I'm not saving any money if those artificially cheap prices are just being taken out elsewhere. The Walton family is rolling in it while their employees can't make a living wage.

No thanks.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I find their business practices to be repugnant, and I won't shop there unless its my only option. In Wisconsin, each store costs the state about $5,800 per employee due to their poor wages and poor and/or expensive health care coverage.

I'm not saving any money if those artificially cheap prices are just being taken out elsewhere. The Walton family is rolling in it while their employees can't make a living wage.

No thanks.
 It used to be that if you wanted something made in America, you went to WalMart. When Sam passed away and his kids got control, all that went by the wayside.

The reason the prices are better than the supermarkets is because WalMart doesn't pay their employees very much and many of those employees don't get much in the way of benefits. They are among the working poor, basically subsidized by the American taxpayers.

The United States of WalMart by John Dicker is an interesting book about the corporation.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Mr. Sam (which was as formal as he would let you call him) was alive, he would often go to the Walmart in Bentonville, and help people load their purchases into their cars. He was unassuming, friendly, cared about employees and customers, and did his best to keep Americans working. Remember when it was Sam's American Choice, instead of just Sam's Choice? And their motto was Satisfaction Guaranteed?

When the children and grandchildren took over, they decided that profit was the only thing that mattered.

Last edited:

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think this is funny: there's one store in the "nicer" part of town and people go to Aldi's in their BMW's lol ... and then closer to where I live you'll see people there driving the 1975 Caddy with duck tape keeping the trunk closed.  LOL!  :)
I noticed the same thing at our local Sav-A-Lot. You would see new expensive cars parked next to those that had no resale value. (Mine would be the latter. :lol3: )

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were at Walmart one day and parked next to a Bentley. Guess the expensive car drivers have to shop in Walmart so they can pay for their cars!!!!

Oh that reminds of of another story. A few years ago we were driving here in Naples and there was a very luxurious car next to us at the traffic light. Steering wheel was on the right side. Paul rolled down the window and asked the lady driving what kind of car it was. She said it was a Bentley. He said "would you like to trade cars?" Her immediate reply was "Sure, I'll meet you here tomorrow". We were driving our 1999 Honda Accord (I think - maybe it was even before that).

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do shop there, but it is never a pleasant experience. For one thing, they are not stocking items like they once did. Their prices are why I go there. I really prefer Target, Big Lots, Family Dollar or just about anywhere else. I never buy meat at Wal Mart, but I do buy canned goods and other items there.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want meat you go to a meat shop, if you want cheap things like can goods you go to Aldis if you have one near you.If you want cheap pool items for the kids it's Dollar Tree or Big Lots .

Last edited: