WalMart closing on Thanksgiving this year

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We stay out of WalMart as much as we can; I don't think we've been in at all this year, but it's probably more about the pandemic than anything. I read that they're going to remain closed on Thanksgiving this year, citing wanting their employees to enjoy time with their families. (I'm realistic enough to know that it's more about the bottom line.)

I wonder how many other stores will also remain closed.

Rick and I used to go out on Black Friday; it was our "thing" and we enjoyed the shopping and having breakfast. This year? I will do all of our shopping online. I've asked our DIL to try to come up with "Wish Lists" for the Grands as early as possible, so that I can get the shopping done and have everything shipped. She's working on it for us.

And no, with the longer shipping times and such, it's not too early to start thinking about it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stay out of WalMart as much as we can; I don't think we've been in at all this year, but it's probably more about the pandemic than anything. I read that they're going to remain closed on Thanksgiving this year, citing wanting their employees to enjoy time with their families. (I'm realistic enough to know that it's more about the bottom line.)

I wonder how many other stores will also remain closed.

Rick and I used to go out on Black Friday; it was our "thing" and we enjoyed the shopping and having breakfast. This year? I will do all of our shopping online. I've asked our DIL to try to come up with "Wish Lists" for the Grands as early as possible, so that I can get the shopping done and have everything shipped. She's working on it for us.

And no, with the longer shipping times and such, it's not too early to start thinking about it.
I start next year's list Christmas Day. All the stuff that I should have bought but was never told they wanted it usually. All the stuff I told others to buy for them but they didn't. If they don't get it for their birthdays (Jan and April), I will get it for Christmas (if they still want it a year later). I also "pin" stuff to Pinterest of stuff they will casually mention wanting so I can remember.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's no secret that WM does not give a rip about their employees. Maybe they did when Sam was alive but they haven't in a long time. It's not that. I hate WM and avoid it whenever possible. I'm not opposed to stores being open on Thanksgiving. Some employees want to work that day. They have families to support and buy holiday gifts for too. Whatever the real reason is for them closing is whatever IMO.

I have a coworker ( I like her very much) who went on a rant one year about how horrible it is for stores to be open because it's so unfair that the employees couldn't be home with their families. 2 minutes later she told us that she and her DH went out for breakfast and lunch on Thanksgiving. So it's OK for restaurant workers to be away from their families on a holiday but not retail employees. OK. Whatever you say.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really should never have given in on opening on Thanksgiving. But yeah, Black Friday has been dying for several years (at the stores anyway; online shopping is doing fine!). Last November they felt like they had done Black Friday setup for no reason. Plus with the pandemic they've been closing overnights anyway, so it seems like a natural progression.
It's no secret that WM does not give a rip about their employees.
I have several relatives who work at Walmart, and they say they're treated better there than anywhere else they could work locally. Which doesn't say good things about the employment situation here :/. They get health insurance! Paid sick leave! Walmart is forced to obey anti-discrimination/anti-harrassment policies, OSHA regulations, and other federal laws! Not common things in rural America.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do all my shopping online and have for years. There is better selection online than in an actual store for the most part. I can't tell you the last time I was in a Walmart. I used to be a Target fan but it's hard when you go in for a $20 item and find an additional $150 worth of items you "just have to have". :lol2: Less impulse buying online. Just like going to the grocery store with a list. I stick to my list so I don't end up impulse buying.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope all the stores close for the holidays this year. Honestly, I think that by having them open, it is a great way to add to the pandemic...

I also dislike Walmart. I try to avoid it as much as possible. I have yet to be in there, this year. I refuse to go to it..

I am doing most of my shopping, other than groceries on-line. It is easier... but so much easier to just "add to your cart"... I have to cut back..

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The postal service is not doing well, take twice as long to deliver, having items stuck at one location for a week or two. It took me nine days to get a 2-day PRIORITY piece of mail. So if you are planning on ordering online then Amazon is about the only reliable delivery source. UPS and FED EX usually use USPS as final delivery and there they get stuck.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it a rather odd that America has a national holiday to celebrate being thankful for what you have, immediately followed by a day of rushing out to get all the things you don’t have! :lol: But I do hope that Walmart employees at least get the day off.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents are starting now too. I often shop for toys in the summer. I have 2 totes in the garage that I hide stuff in. Usually there are toy clearances about this time of year. I’ve been in Walmart a few times; but with my kids and not thinking about it.

UPS and Fedex are doing fine shipping. What they give my local post office gets delivered the next day. A few boxes have made it here early. But one package went clear to the other side of the country. Last Sunday it was 2 hours away. I still don’t have it. Its school books and I’m about to start lesson planning! Blah...oh well.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several relatives who work at Walmart, and they say they're treated better there than anywhere else they could work locally. Which doesn't say good things about the employment situation here :/. They get health insurance! Paid sick leave! Walmart is forced to obey anti-discrimination/anti-harrassment policies, OSHA regulations, and other federal laws! Not common things in rural America.
I'm glad it was a better work and benefits for the people you know. I spent 5 years at Walmart, with 7 years at Walgreens right before. Being full-time at both, I received health insurance and sick leave benefits. I left Walgreens because at the time Walmart had better pay and more opportunities to advance. But when Walmart increased the starting wage to $10, they change raises from a standard 40 cents to 2%.... That cut my raise about in half. Not to mention inflation that year was 2.1%.... so we were all losing money over all. They do have good bonuses if you store is doing well though. Each quarter we may have received a few dollars up to a few hundred.

The culture at Walmart was a lot more stressful with many more unhealthy, power hungry managers while Walgreens was a lot more easy going and healthy. There was only one manager that would yell at and put down employees the whole time I was at Walgreens between all three stores I worked at. But again, the things you mentioned are important, and glad workers there have somewhere they do get those important rights and benefits.

I hope all the stores close for the holidays this year. Honestly, I think that by having them open, it is a great way to add to the pandemic...

Yes, this! Before all these announcements it made me cringe thinking of all those people in a store for Black Friday packed like sardines, climbing over each other to get items. It gets intense! Plus, people stand in lines 30-60 min. before sales start, so people would be in the store a long time. I hope many more stores close, too.

Best Buy and Target have also joined this movement. <3