Wallpaper Removal Tips???

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If the wallpaper has any spots that are not glued down completely flat it will show up in the paint. Sealing over the top of the wallpaper will not make it stick to the wall any better. You may also get the paint peeling off. This is especially true if there are several layers of paper.

Another thing to consider: wallpaper with paint on it is much more difficult to remove, if you decide you don't like it after it's done.

You should go ahead and do whatever works best for you. I just finished doing the opposite, put up vinyl wallpaper over the paint in my bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i heard/saw/read somewhere that to choose colors for your home, choose a color [or color family] that's in your closet.
my closet has lots of royal blue. my house is painted in shades of blue ranging from sky to deep peacock.
I've seen that suggestion on a few tv shows as well! Basically the thing is- i know what color i want (I want green) but i'm having a hard time deciding on a particlar shade as there are a few that are very similar and i'm just having a hard time choosing!!
I will probably go ask for a paint sample of each and put each on the wall to see which fits that room better when i get a chance.

Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

If you properly remove wallpaper it shouldnt damage your walls at all, except for the occasional gouge with the spackling knife.
As for painting over it, I dont recommend it but if youre going to try it before you put all the sealant and all that stuff on, paint over a wallpaper seam and see what you think. They will show up so you'll be able to tell that there is wallpaper under there. Also, any bubbles or wrinkles will stick out like a sore thumb. I've got painted wallpaper in my house (painted before I bought it) and if you'd like I can take a picture so you can see how it looks.
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'd have to agree with this. I've yet to see paint over wallpaper that doesn't show up all the seams and bubbles/flaws. If possible, IMO, it is best to remove the wallpaper, fix any areas with spackle, sand, clean, prime and paint.
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

If the wallpaper has any spots that are not glued down completely flat it will show up in the paint. Sealing over the top of the wallpaper will not make it stick to the wall any better. You may also get the paint peeling off. This is especially true if there are several layers of paper.

Another thing to consider: wallpaper with paint on it is much more difficult to remove, if you decide you don't like it after it's done.

You should go ahead and do whatever works best for you. I just finished doing the opposite, put up vinyl wallpaper over the paint in my bathroom.
Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it.

Our kitchen actually has painted over wallpaper so i'm definitely familiar with how it looks. If done properly, you shouldn't be able to tell. Hopefully we can do ours well.

Considering how time consuming it will be to rip all of the wallpaper in the house down and that we also have to finish the attic soon so i can start working on the room we're planning to use as a nursery- we're trying to get everything done as quick (but well done) as posisble...so if there is a chance we can paint over the wall paper and do a good job then i'd rather do that at this point because there's sooo much we have to do soon!

The plan is to try out a test area first though (one that includes a seam) - we will seal it prime it and paint it and see how it turns out. If it unsightly we will rip everything down and just start from scratch. If however it looks ok we're going to do the whole room that way. I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least try a test spot and see how that goes.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My FIL suggested ironing the walls to remove the wallpaper!
Didn't do it though, we just painted over the wallpaper, i did accidently rip off some parts so i used plaster and sanded it down... I hope the land lady doesn't notice