Walking with cats

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would be interested in the experiences of others who go for long walks (more than a few blocks) with their cats. I live in Mendocino on the border of a state park. Every morning I walk in the redwoods with my two cats.

I have to say it was their idea and seemed like a good one. It was good exercise for me because, even though cats walk slowly and are easily distracted, walking up and down the steep hillsides stimulates the cardiovascular system. I no longer suffer from high blood pressure.

Patience is the watchword. Never walk cats, if you have an appointment to keep later. I believe that mother cats "park" their kittens for five to ten minutes at a time during hunting training. Although my cats disappear into the brush at certain points on the trail, they generally reappear after that interval. I spend the time fiddling with my camera and exercising my humility.

I started walking my cats on leashes in the backyard when they were kittens, until they were old enough to get through the cat flap by themselves. I called this milestone their "cat mitvah", for that day they become a cat. Since one cat was six months older than the other, the youngster was quite frustrated watching his partner graduate to tree climbing and worked hard to achieve his own independence.

Although the extreme height of redwoods discourages most cat-stuck-in-a-tree scenarios, the older guy did get up fifteen feet before realizing there was no safe place to jump down. I found a cut sapling, braced it against the tree and was able to coax him down that path.

It all depends on the cat's temperment. Some days one of them won't show up, maybe to catch up with us later or not. Other days, they spend most of the time pouncing on each other.

The younger cat has learned, when he is ready to go home, he can speed up the other cat by provoking him into a chase and always heading toward home.

On the occasions when we have been caught in sudden rainstorms, I have been surprised at just how fast and single-mindedly the cats will return the quarter-mile to home.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say
and welcome to TCS! I think you have a tremendous relationship with your cats and it sounds the same for them with you! I am in NYC, my Maia is harness/leash trained but not for sidewalks or parks here. Currently I have a back roof top garden area, she is very shy and skittish, so I think it actually allows her to feel safer. Are you a photographer? Nice to see a positive and helpful to others experience. Please keep in touch with TCS!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! I took Zissou a couple times to the private park near my old place and we walked a couple miles to the old burial ground and back. I only had to carry her a little bit. On Thanksgiving we walked up to Mirror Lake on campus. That was quite a ways but the sidewalks were deserted and she was okay. On a normal day we can't leave the immediate area, too many cars and people.

Zissou and I are both jealous of your area. She wishes she could try to climb redwoods!

I agree, they definitely do stop pretty often. Sometimes Zissou's like "Looks like a good spot for a nap!" and just lays down.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you are not letting them roam unsupervised. Just still be cautious of fleas, ticks, and traps and other animals that might chase them.

Question: what happens if your cats decide to chase a squirrel up a tree and then get stuck?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do take a number of photographs on each walk but even with image stabilization, there is rarely enough light in a redwood forest. However, my camera takes excellent video clips and the eye is more forgiving of things like grain and blur in moving pictures. I would be glad to post video clips, if storage space is available, and would appreciate information on format and size restrictions.

As for tree rescues, I already related one case where I used an available sapling as a alternate descent path. There was a time when Vivekat climbed a redwood to a branch 30 feet off the ground. Now cats always come down; you never find the skeleton of a cat in a tree. As we all know, "always" can be an unacceptably long wait. After half an hour, I returned to my car and retrieved a rope and a backpack. I knotted the rope at three foot intervals. Then, I looped the rope over the limb, climbed up, stuffed her into the backpack and climbed down. Naturally, not every cat will accept that kind of handling 30 feet in the air; gloves are de rigeur. Half an hour later we were back home. She was fine; I was sore for a week.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you might try at home to train them to get IN the backpack or something on command (with a treat inside) so that you can just tie the backpack to the rope, pull it up to the cat; cat jumps in and you lower it

I actually trained my RB female as a kitten to jump on my shoulder/neck/back - thought it was a cute idea. Well one day she got up on a shelf and was afraid of jumping down. So I "bridged" myself as a inbetween landing and gave her the command to get on my back. She did and no problem after that. Just a thought for the future

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Wow, you might try at home to train them to get IN the backpack or something on command (with a treat inside) so that you can just tie the backpack to the rope, pull it up to the cat; cat jumps in and you lower it

I actually trained my RB female as a kitten to jump on my shoulder/neck/back - thought it was a cute idea. Well one day she got up on a shelf and was afraid of jumping down. So I "bridged" myself as a inbetween landing and gave her the command to get on my back. She did and no problem after that. Just a thought for the future
I would be scared to death of a cat jumping 30 feet down onto me, ready or not! I would think that is a bit different, however it sounds like you are one of the few who have an exceptional relationship with your kitties and realize the possible entanglements. I
you, it is for the patience and bond you have for this extraordinary experience that many people may not think possible, disbelieve, or simply admire, like me
Would love to see your images, but on this site the option of video is only through posting a link. If you have another site displaying your art, you can leave a link. Looking forward to seeing it! And would love to see some pics of your kitties! ^There is the Fur Pictures Only forum for kitty pics........

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like a good idea to pre-train a cat to "bag" itself in a tree rescue but the fact is, cats won't willingly step onto swaying flexible surfaces.

Vivekat would purr every time the vet picked her up, which prevented him from hearing heart and respiratory sounds. He showed me an old vet trick by putting her on the clinic scale. As soon as she felt the spring-loaded surface wobbling, she stopped purring.

Training can do some interesting things. Although Vivekat could get down off the roof in the back of the house, she would meow down at me from the front edge of the roof. After a few trials, I was able to hold up an orange crate and keep it steady enough that she would step on it and get an "elevator ride" down to the ground.

This particular cat was extremely well bonded to me. At one point before she recovered from a serious illness, I would sleep in the living room to be near her. When I became so depressed that I began to cry (a lot of things were going on), she got up from her "sick bed" to come and comfort ME.

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made the mistake of encouraging "Monkey", a willful Siamese, in his habit of jumping up into my arms. The problem was that he was arbitrary about the moments chosen for this trick. My brother was angry when Monkey unexpectedly ripped his shirt, because of what Monkey considered a "missed catch". He also scared the bejesus out of a cable repairman one day.