Walking the cat - is this a good idea??

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can do it, just dont expect much posstive feedbacks from neighbor's or family members. To most people outside of the forums walking a cat is strange. Its a little strange at first but you get used to it and unlike a dog a cat will never pull and pull to run away like a dog would. Cats also dont come everytime you call too. I've never owned a dog before but I seem to like walking cats better then dogs simply because its easier and you dont feel guilt if your cats breaks something as you would a dog though being the nice person I am I would offer to repay some of the total of the thing involved. Its a great thing to do to a cat if supervised and done well.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First get the idea of taking your cat for a walk out of your head!
You can harness and leash train them, but with cats it's more that they go where they please and drag you along behind.

I have never, in 30 years of leash trained cats, ever have one bolt for the doors.
Put a harness on one however, and they know it as a cue.

These days, my gang goes out onto the back patio with me, they do not view the front door as the door to outside as the back is all they know.

I can (and have) stand in the doorway chatting up my neighbors and the cats will all sit on the back of the couch and watch.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get ahold of the January issue of Cat Fancy my article about this appears on page 34