Walking into Walls?

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife has already taken Izzy to the emerg, but I thought I would ask here. As a brief history note, Izzy had a liver shunt that was treated surgically in October - he is still on a low protien diet & lactulose though.

Most of today, Izzy was a little listeless & did not want to eat much at all. At around 6:30, I started massaging his stomach in the hopes that I could stimulate him to poo; I was worried that a recent change to dry food backed him up. I think he really overate the dry food over the last two days, so I thought the massage would help. His stomach was very hard, & I *think* I heard something pop while I was massaging him; I'm not entirely sure. After I put him down I noticed he was walking along the sides of the wall & trying to get into corners & dead ends; almost like he was blind.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing taking the cat to the emergency clinic. I hope that they are able to help him.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what it could be, just wanted to offer some prayers that its nothing serious..

Please keep us updated

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh bless his heart. I dont know what it could be, but I will send out a prayer for him. Please let us know what they say!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have, turned out to be a stroke from the stress the cat had been through. Good luck with your Izzy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's back home - the vet thinks it was an amonia overdose so the vet gave him some liquids & another dose of lactulose. I gave Izzy a little beef today mixed in with his low protein food at noon to get him to eat. That probably just pushed his amonia levels right over the edge. I guess I wont be doing that again.

We'll keep an eye on him this weekend, but I suspect the vet is right. We've seen him somewhat dazed & confused before the shunt was diagnosed - we've just never seen these particular symptoms. Apparently head pressed against the wall is classic in shunt kitties.

Thanks for all your thoughts & prayers

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update, I will continue to keep your baby in my prayers