Walking around meowing alot.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone elses cat do this?

Ok, little background.. I live downstairs in my parents house. Its basically like my own apartment, and me and my cat Mikey live down there. Basically all the rooms are connected and you can walk a circle around the downstairs. 

Well Mikey likes to hang out in his window tree i built him, and stare out the windows. Every once in a while throughout the day, he will be up there and start meowing. Then jump down and just start walking circles around the apartment meowing. 

Sometimes ill go to check on him, and he's fine.. Doesn't seem to be scared by anything, very loving anytime i check on him. Eats fine, playful like always, seems totally normal.. Just seems to be something he does. I'm not worried about it or anything as he seems just fine. 

It always starts at his windows. (he has 5 that he uses, 2 that he spends most of his time in) So im guessing he's seeing something outside, makes a fuss about it, then scouts out his territory by walking around announcing himself to make sure no other evil critters are around. Which is probably why i can't get him to stop spraying the back door.. Its not real bad, he hits it a couple times a week. I keep the bottom of the door covered with plastic and foil down to protect the carpet. He used to spray on almost everything when i first brought him inside, but its only been the back door for close to a year now. Iv tried cleaning it tons of times with all the right cleaners, but he always see's something outside and ends up going back too the door. So i just keep it covered and deal with it and clean the plastic off from time to time. 

He's an EXTREMELY talkative cat anyway.. Most people don't really get how talkative he is until you actually meet him.. You can sit there and have a conversation with him just like talking to a person, he will respond every time. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are right in your analysis of what's going on. Having a very talkative cat myself, I can empathize with you on conversations with the cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah most of the time i find his "chattyness" to be really cute, and fun.. But of course there are times i wish he would just shut the heck up! lol.. 

But it is fun to talk to him, sometimes i almost seems like i know what hes saying just by the way he meows. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had quite a similar cat ,   who I adopted at age 2 and had just been neutered then.     He was a very dominant, territorial cat.   It was very important to him to patrol his territory.    In his case, it helped to start taking him out for walks on leash to patrol around the area.  then he just marked the territory outside.   He started just "pretending" to spray the back door when he saw other cats outside.   I mean literally he went through the motions but did not actuallly spray!  Then he finally just stopped.  

He ended up giving up spraying entirely ,  and just marked things by rubbing on them instead.  

Feliway diffusors can also help.  

You didn't mention if Mikey is neutered?   If not that would be the first step.   Some of his vocalization could be due to that  (calling to females )  and of course the spraying could be related to not being neutered. 

asterix000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten that is very chatty too, she has a bit of a harsh meow but I'd miss it if it were to ever stop. 

Why a meow? For my cat it could mean she is about to fit somewhere small, sees a shadow, wants me to see her, cant see the top of something, her nemisis the ceiling fan is taunting her, theres a sun beam that isnt large enough to suit her...... you get the idea.

The spraying may or may not be related, but it sounds like a perfectly logical conclusion.

I dont have an experinced answer, but if it were me I would try senting the door with vinager or citris zest 1st to see if either detured from repeating the spray. Both would have to be reapplied as the sent fades with time but its something that you could try if your not sure what else. Make a note of how long from when you applied a sent to when you get a repeate spray and try increasing the frequency  of the application in order to check if it is having any affect at all.

Anything you can do to break the habbit will help, so dont be afraid to experiment.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh yeah, Mikey is [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]neutered, got it done as soon as he was old enough for it.. I also have the feilaway diffusers in every room downstairs.. I used to let him outside for a couple hours every day, but he kept getting himself into trouble, caught him coming out of a large drainage pipe that goes under the street, and after 3 pet ER visits for large cuts he got while doing whatever he would do outside (im not talking little scrapes either, one cut was almost 4 inches long, and i could see his muscle through the wound). Plus alot of other cats roam my neighborhood, and my yard, and he was getting into fights alot.. So i decided to make him a indoor only cat, safer for him, and easier on my wallet. That was about a year ago, and hes adapted quite well to it. Doesn't beg to go outside or anything.. I thought about taking him out for walks, but i don't want to give him the idea that hes gonna start going out again.. Or that it would be an everyday thing, as i work alot so i can't be there to supervise his outside time. [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]As for him spraying the back door, iv tried about everything.. Cleaned it with urine off, sprayed it down with citrus orange spray, and with that citrus stuff, he will avoid the door for a day or two.. And since he usually hits the door when im not home (sneaky little bugger) it can't really show him to NOT do it, since i don't catch him in the act..  Its not a big concern for me though, every week i just change out the foil and plastic, he doesn't even do it a whole lot, i rarely even ever smell it unless i get down close too the foil. I just consider it one of the little things i have to put up with to have my best buddy inside and safe with me.. [/color]

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. Keeping him safe is worth a little extra effort. As long as you don't mind. I can't think of any ways other than the ones you are already using to keep him from spraying.