WALKING A CAT ON A LEAD RIGHT OR WRONG?

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is walking a cat on a lead a good thing to do. I personally believe that a cat shouldn't be allowed to wander freely unless you live somewhere away from dangers such as roads, like a farm. However I have researched walking a cat on a lead and it says you should only walk a cat in a "no dog area" but I believe there isn't really anything that exists except from a "cat proof "garden. But as cats are such agile climbers it's very hard to "cat proof" anything. I've read books that say that letting a cat out to wander freely is a very bad idea but many people do it and hve very happy cats but you sometimes hear about cats that never come home which would be awful. Many breeders say that they will only sell to someone that insures that the cat will live a indoor life only going out in your garden or a lead. My problem is that I think there are just too many dogs in my area. What do you think?

I would be very grateful for any replies.

Thank you

xxx

tumbleweed01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to let my cat outdoors both on a leash and without one. I've become a firm believer in the advice I've received from many others, i.e. that a cat should not be outdoors at all (whether on a leash or not). Both my previous vet and my current vet have provided this same advice as well. The biggest reason is that by being outdoors, even on a leash, the cat can pick up fleas, ticks or other bugs which can carry diseases quite harmful to the cat. Our vet recommends that a cat not even be allowed out on a cement or wooden patio which squirrels can access since they can leave droppings, ticks or other insects which can cause illness and harm the cat.

Furthermore, years ago before I learned how bad an idea it is to have your cat outdoors in any fashion, I used to take mine out on a leash. I soon discovered that no matter how high the quality of the leash and harness, she could easily "slip" the leash and take off on her own. Cats seem to be able to slip leashes MUCH more easily than dogs.

Letting a cat outdoors WITHOUT a leash is an even worse idea. Not only can they pick up illnesses from ticks, etc....by running freely they are exposed to getting hit by cars,  to getting attacked/killed by other animals, to socializing with other cats who may have such major cat illnesses as feline leukemia, etc., or  to just disappearing completely. If you look at many pet health insurance plans, they charge higher rates for cats who are allowed outdoors whether on a leash or not. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to let my cat outdoors both on a leash and without one. I've become a firm believer in the advice I've received from many others, i.e. that a cat should not be outdoors at all (whether on a leash or not). Both my previous vet and my current vet have provided this same advice as well. The biggest reason is that by being outdoors, even on a leash, the cat can pick up fleas, ticks or other bugs which can carry diseases quite harmful to the cat. Our vet recommends that a cat not even be allowed out on a cement or wooden patio which squirrels can access since they can leave droppings, ticks or other insects which can cause illness and harm the cat.

Furthermore, years ago before I learned how bad an idea it is to have your cat outdoors in any fashion, I used to take mine out on a leash. I soon discovered that no matter how high the quality of the leash and harness, she could easily "slip" the leash and take off on her own. Cats seem to be able to slip leashes MUCH more easily than dogs.

Letting a cat outdoors WITHOUT a leash is an even worse idea. Not only can they pick up illnesses from ticks, etc....by running freely they are exposed to getting hit by cars,  to getting attacked/killed by other animals, to socializing with other cats who may have such major cat illnesses as feline leukemia, etc., or  to just disappearing completely. If you look at many pet health insurance plans, they charge higher rates for cats who are allowed outdoors whether on a leash or not. Hope this helps.
I agree 100% with you and I'm glad that someone else agrees with me. I did worry for a bit if I was going to harm my cat with not enough exercise but clearly that is not a problem and I should just stick to my garden. Thank you for all the advice, I will follow it carefully.

xxx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see where "right" and "wrong" come into play here. If your cat likes being out on lead and it's safe in your neighborhood and you enjoy doing it, than do it. If not, don't. No biggie. It's certainly not necessary for most cats' happiness.

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see where "right" and "wrong" come into play here. If your cat likes being out on lead and it's safe in your neighborhood and you enjoy doing it, than do it. If not, don't. No biggie. It's certainly not necessary for most cats' happiness.
Thanks, I understand that it really depends on the owner and area they live in.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It depends a lot on the cat as well. I tried walking my first two on a leash when they were little. Their idea of going for a walk was that I did the walking and they rode on my shoulders. :lol3:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem I've seen is that the calm, sweet cat people know in their house can turn into an angry, raging, running chainsaw if spooked by almost anything.

We walked our first cat on a leash, but quit when a friend's cat strangled on a leash when she ran up a tree and then fell, out of the reach of the owner.

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, hearing that a cat can be strangled by a lead has made me think twice. Thats very cute them riding on your shoulders. :D

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tired walking my cat on a leash (I have a harness not a neck collar). She pretty much acts like a dog who is not leash trained. You are either pulling her to move, or she is trying to escape. Needless to say, I don't walk her anymore. 

She however, LOVES being outside. She is a door dasher. Especially when my front door opened to the outside she would run out and up the first tree she saw, then get stuck. I found that allowing her on an outside patio (supervised), or sitting outside with her in a secluded grassy area, (her with a harness, leash and carried to our spot inside her carrier then propping the door open), she really enjoyed and seemed to run out my front door less because she had her outside time periodically. This is kind of a risk though, because once she knew about outside, she would sometimes cry to be let out, where as before she experienced outside she wasn't as eager to go out. 

I think that the outside world is certainly more dangerous than a strictly indoor kitty, however I think that some cats really want to go outside, and you have to weigh that against possible harm that may come from taking them outside. 

Also, jut as a side note. My cat got tapeworms by eating an infected flea and she had not been outside in almost a year. (Unless being carried to the car and back in her carrier counts). She is currently on flea medication even though she is strictly an indoor cat. My vet said that your house/apt can get fleas which your cat can pick up even if they never go outside. Mine sits in the window but I live on the 2nd floor and I doubt that fleas can jump that high.

Sorry this turned out to be pretty long.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've pretty well given up on the lead thing... I haven't met a cat who's taken to it yet, and I've tried it on a lot of them.. mine and at the shelter.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jack loves his leash and his vest. He cooperates even putting it on and off. Most of the time he just sits in my lap but likes the chance to chase a lizard across the pool deck or wander over to taunt the dog next door through the fence. People make the mistake of thinking their cat wants to take a stroll on the sidewalk. Since one never sees a cat doing that off the leash, why would they want to do it on the leash. Cats like to get into dark places, up on things and wait in ambush. That's what I try to let Jack experience on the leash.

I would never have an outdoor cat as a cat companion, however. They are simply not safe outside on their own. I do support the outdoor cat community. I just wouldn't let Jack the Cat be exposed to those risks.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all go out on a harness and lead. I use a flexi lead and let them wander, their harnesses are quite secure and none have escaped. They also quickly learnt that harness=outside, no harness=inside and do not pester to go out at other times, or dash out the door.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie has been going outside on a leash at least once a day for 13 years. He wears a dog harness, which he's managed to slip out of a couple of times. We stay on our property or the immediate neighbors', and the only dogs he comes into contact with are ones he knows, since we live in a cul-de-sac. I've been calling him Mighty Mouser, because he's caught a total of 8 mice or shrews this week alone, despite being on the leash (a 5-meter retractable). Hie "outies" are the highlights of the day.

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for replying and after hearing you all I don't think I will walk my at on a leash often if at all.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I thought just the opposite!  After all these positives, I think I'll give it another go with my youngest.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really think the flea argument is very valid because dogs can pick up the same diseases, but not many people would say you can't let your dog out, in fact most advocate For it.

I think if you can get your cat to cooperate on a leash, it is a wonderful way to let your cat have some fun time with you. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat likes the outdoors, walking him or her on a good figure-8 harness designed for cats, and an attached lead, is nice.  For cat fencing, input "cat fencing" in your computer's search engine and click on the links.  When we lived in the desert, we utilized our existing 4-stall barn and compound, adding cat fencing at the top to keep our "barn crew" safe and other living beings out.  We also built out an existing patio from our living room, making a "catio" that was safe and secure, for our indoor cats.  You can see a lot of wonderful "catios" at catioshowcase.com (or .net -- I don't recall the suffix, but it's one of the two)  including ours, which was in the Mojave.