Waiting for 1st ringworm culture results.... what to do now?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

Dear Elizabeth and Auntie,

Why either of you would another cat — after hearing my wormy tale of woe — is beyond me, but you're certainly welcome to date him. He's free most nights, assuming he's done his homework. He's got a busy weekend schedule: lime-sulfur dips, manicures, fundraisers, screen tests, and he's interviewing agents on both coasts.

Seriously, I had visions of being a foster mom someday, and this experience has put a full and permanent stop to that. I'm even beginning to think it's risky to visit our local shelter, which is a really nice, happy place for both the cats and visitors. I'm viewing hand sanitizer in a whole new light.
Oh, funny, funny.

I used to foster, but no more. Bringing the second litter of ferals into my home while the first was here was nerve-racking in the extreme. Especially since the ferals needed a lot of work before they could be brought in to be examined. I was on pins and needles the whole time. *whew* No more for me!

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Oh, funny, funny.

I used to foster, but no more. Bringing the second litter of ferals into my home while the first was here was nerve-racking in the extreme. Especially since the ferals needed a lot of work before they could be brought in to be examined. I was on pins and needles the whole time. *whew* No more for me!
I had dreams of fostering, but trapping, fixing, and release five adults who had tumors and other problems made me realize how much money it could cost. Then I trapped my two babies with the full intention to foster and rehome, but fell totally in love with them and now I have four cats.

I admire those who can foster and them let go, but I'm not one of them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's just too much risk involved: too many infectious diseases that can spread to the forever cats, too big a chance of heartbreak when it comes time to give them away. Especially if I wasn't the one doing the applicant screening.

Today everyone was behaving a little more normally at my vet. Tomorrow morning, the kittens get cherry-flavored Sporanox while the cats get giant terbinafine tablets that we can't cut properly into halves and quarters (spend that money!).

Tomorrow the two females will have their first baths and lime sulfur dips at the groomer (spend more money!). I'm dreading this; I'm afraid stress will finally make them come down with the same virus the boys have been struggling with for 3 weeks. (The boys are too sick for dipping.) I'm also worried about the smell and having yellow cats, of course. I wish there was a gentler alternative. I read about alternative treatments (white sulfur, Health Guard) online but I don't know whom to trust. If you have any experience with this, please let me know! I should probably start a new thread on this....

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is off the topic, but I just realized that the real reason my sister doesn't want us to come home to PA for Thanksgiving is because her daughter is flying in with her puppy from CA! That's her ringworm panic, not our ancient dad.

I finally know where I rank on the family totem pole: somewhere under the pup.

I'd rather stay here with my cats anyway. I'd never find a cat sitter while they're having ringworm treatment anyhow. And I guess that goes for Christmas, too.

Can we have a Christmas tree during this plague, I wonder? I've never tried to vacuum one....

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you know, if it helps, we could take turns driving past one another's house and waving.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Well, you know, if it helps, we could take turns driving past one another's house and waving.

You do know that you two are quite insane???? Is that OT? This is really fun, though!

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All three of us have — what? — four or five cats? Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for that reason alone.

We're about to start the morning medications, with the first ringworm oral meds. We were having fits last night because the terfinabine pills don't cut well, and they should be very close to the halves and quarters we need because it's powerful stuff. I will throw myself on the mercy of the CVS pharmacists and see if they can do it for us.

I wish the Sporanox wasn't cherry flavored. The kittens are going to hate it.

Fingers crossed!