Wailing at sleep time

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My big cat is around 4 years old, a female, spayed. She has a strange habit of wailing madly as soon as I retire to bed. At first I thought she was hurt and dashed out of bed to see what was wrong but every time there was nothing wrong. Visits to the vet showed no health problems. But the wailing persisted, not every night but fairly frequently.

The strangest thing is, she eventually climbs into bed with me usually when I am already asleep. Why she wails so much she knows I am within reach I do not quite know. I tried to take her to bed with me when she began to wail but she jumps right off, wails a bit, and later joins me in bed of her own volition. A very cat-like behavior, always does what she wants :)

I wonder if it has something to do with her being an housecat turned feral turned housecat again. I've heard her wailing like this when she was living on the streets, maybe there is some trauma...

Has anyone experienced something like this? Is she very much upset?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long has she been living with you? It could be a habit from her early years. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little over three years. She has always done this, at first she would wail a lot more.