Waggers TenderMoist

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried Waggers TenderMoist cat food? In my on going quest to find a food my kitten Loki will eat I found this but it seems pretty new. Any thoughts or opinions on it? I might try to grab some to see if he'll eat this along with his wet foods.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never heard of it, and when I tried to open the website, all I get is a blank page.  I was finally able to open up another site that sells it, but couldn't get much info on it except their ingredient list.  Ground Pecan Shells?  Never saw that as an ingredient before! 

I like that it has prebiotics and probiotics in it, but there are a couple of ingredients in it that I am not familiar with, one being glucona delta lactone, and I'm not quite sure WHY that's in there, but then again, I don't manufacture cat food, so don't know why a lot of things are in cat food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://waggers.com/waggers-tendermoist

I've never heard of this brand before. I can't tell if this is a dry food or a semi-moist food . The product comes in 3 pound bags but then the FAQ pages says the products have up to 30% moisture which is more than dry food but less than regular canned food.

Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens  

Ground Pecan Shells?  Never saw that as an ingredient before! 

I like that it has prebiotics and probiotics in it, but there are a couple of ingredients in it that I am not familiar with, one being glucona delta lactone, and I'm not quite sure WHY that's in there, but then again, I don't manufacture cat food, so don't know why a lot of things are in cat food
The company's FAQ page says this:

Ground Pecan Shells are added into Waggers TenderMoist to add fiber and is required to help reduce hairballs in our cats. Pecan shell is a pure natural material made of cellulose and lignin. In fact it is the identical composition of a common material found in pears. If you have eaten a pear and noticed a gritty texture, those are clusters of the same type of cells as pecan shell. The pecan shell fiber has very low irritant properties and is less likely to cause inflammation. What is really good about the pecan shell resource, is that the shell is protected during the life cycle from contamination by both an external green husk and the fiber system of the tree which acts as a large filter for any possible ground contaminants. The result is a pesticide free clean fiber source that is natural and requires no chemical processing or additives. In pet food, pecan shell is ground to individual cells called sclereids that have a round oval shape (also found in apples, cloves, cinnamon, and pears). Pecan shell is a very rich source of antioxidants such as Ellagic acid and Gallic acid. In fact, the shell contains more than 3 times the antioxidant value of an equivalent weight of either raw blueberries or raw raspberries.

Glucono Delta Lactone, often abbreviated GDL, is a naturally occurring food ingredient and is one of a class of ingredients known as acidulants. In food manufacturing, acidulants are used to reduce the pH of the food, retarding spoilage (GDL can be used as a natural preservative in some circumstances), as well as to prevent the discolouration of the final food product. In large scale commercial manufacturing GDL is widely used in products such as tofu, honey, fruit juices and wine. GDL is made through the fermentation of plant-derived glucose. It is not made from wheat or from any other gluten- containing grain. The final product, which is a fine white powder, is 100% free of wheat, gluten and dairy. It is soluble in water, is completely non toxic and is completely metabolised by dogs and cats digestive systems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

http://waggers.com/waggers-tendermoist

I've never heard of this brand before. I can't tell if this is a dry food or a semi-moist food . The product comes in 3 pound bags but then the FAQ pages says the products have up to 30% moisture which is more than dry food but less than regular canned food.
It's a semi-moist food, which seems pretty rare these days. My kitten will eat semi-moist treats and wet food but not dry food, so I thought this might be a good step for busy days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think semi-moist foods fell out of favor after that huge pet food recall a couple years ago. I remember semi-moist foods years ago. Tender Vittles was one brand,

It would be ok to try this food to your cat. It's good to expose cats to a variety of different types of food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The company's FAQ page says this:

Ground Pecan Shells are added into Waggers TenderMoist to add fiber and is required to help reduce hairballs in our cats. Pecan shell is a pure natural material made of cellulose and lignin. In fact it is the identical composition of a common material found in pears. If you have eaten a pear and noticed a gritty texture, those are clusters of the same type of cells as pecan shell. The pecan shell fiber has very low irritant properties and is less likely to cause inflammation. What is really good about the pecan shell resource, is that the shell is protected during the life cycle from contamination by both an external green husk and the fiber system of the tree which acts as a large filter for any possible ground contaminants. The result is a pesticide free clean fiber source that is natural and requires no chemical processing or additives. In pet food, pecan shell is ground to individual cells called sclereids that have a round oval shape (also found in apples, cloves, cinnamon, and pears). Pecan shell is a very rich source of antioxidants such as Ellagic acid and Gallic acid. In fact, the shell contains more than 3 times the antioxidant value of an equivalent weight of either raw blueberries or raw raspberries.

Glucono Delta Lactone, often abbreviated GDL, is a naturally occurring food ingredient and is one of a class of ingredients known as acidulants. In food manufacturing, acidulants are used to reduce the pH of the food, retarding spoilage (GDL can be used as a natural preservative in some circumstances), as well as to prevent the discolouration of the final food product. In large scale commercial manufacturing GDL is widely used in products such as tofu, honey, fruit juices and wine. GDL is made through the fermentation of plant-derived glucose. It is not made from wheat or from any other gluten- containing grain. The final product, which is a fine white powder, is 100% free of wheat, gluten and dairy. It is soluble in water, is completely non toxic and is completely metabolised by dogs and cats digestive systems.
This is the issue I have with getting things off of the company's website that is actually selling the product...they aren't going to say anything BAD about an ingredient.  When I googled ground pecan shells, guess what I saw?  USED IN MULCH, PLYWOOD FILLER, that sort of stuff 

I DID read (on other sites), that GDL is most often derived from CORN. 

AND I STILL cannot open up their website in Firefox. (just get a blank page)   Wonder why?  I use it because it works much better than Internet Explorer. 

So...the jury is still out on this food from my point of view.  Not saying it's bad, not saying it's good.  BUT, it's IS darned expensive

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is the issue I have with getting things off of the company's website that is actually selling the product...they aren't going to say anything BAD about an ingredient.  When I googled ground pecan shells, guess what I saw?  USED IN MULCH, PLYWOOD FILLER, that sort of stuff 

I DID read (on other sites), that GDL is most often derived from CORN. 

AND I STILL cannot open up their website in Firefox. (just get a blank page)   Wonder why?  I use it because it works much better than Internet Explorer. 

So...the jury is still out on this food from my point of view.  Not saying it's bad, not saying it's good.  BUT, it's IS darned expensive
Please don't take this as rude, but I'm going to have to disagree with one of your points here. I'm not exactly super knowledgeable about pecan shells, mulch, or plywood filler but I can point out that pecan shells were at least cleared by the aafco and the fda (back in 09 I believe) to be safe for consumption. By saying that they are found in the other non-edible foods you are making a false parallel. Water is also found in all of those things, but I think we've all agreed that we're willing to take the risk by drinking it. GDL however is a completely valid point to bring up, I hadn't realized it was made most often with corn! I might need to reconsider offering this food to my cat unless I can get conformation of where they source theirs. Sorry the site doesn't seem to want to work with Firefox, it works pretty well with chrome (we shall never speak IE's name, it is the voldemort of browsers) so that might be a viable option if you ever decided to switch browsers. Yeah the price is not pretty, it better come with a chance of finding buried treasure at that price hahaha. 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Please don't take this as rude, but I'm going to have to disagree with one of your points here. I'm not exactly super knowledgeable about pecan shells, mulch, or plywood filler but I can point out that pecan shells were at least cleared by the aafco and the fda (back in 09 I believe) to be safe for consumption. By saying that they are found in the other non-edible foods you are making a false parallel. Water is also found in all of those things, but I think we've all agreed that we're willing to take the risk by drinking it. GDL however is a completely valid point to bring up, I hadn't realized it was made most often with corn! I might need to reconsider offering this food to my cat unless I can get conformation of where they source theirs. Sorry the site doesn't seem to want to work with Firefox, it works pretty well with chrome (we shall never speak IE's name, it is the voldemort of browsers) so that might be a viable option if you ever decided to switch browsers. Yeah the price is not pretty, it better come with a chance of finding buried treasure at that price hahaha. 
Never fear...you may always speak your mind with me
.  I was just pointing out that pecan shells are used in mulch, etc.  Not saying they might not be a great source of antioxidants too, just saying I can't find much on that subject...mainly finding they are used as fillers.  I do know that pecans themselves are a great food
.  We eat them around here as often as we can afford to

As to the GDL, just call them and ask their source.  I'm guessing they'll tell you.  It's not always corn.  My guess is that theirs isn't, actually.  If they're charging an arm and leg for this stuff, my guess is they wouldn't dare have any corn in it

(funny about IE being the voldemort of browsers....we're just now re-watching all the Harry Potter movies since my granddaughter is visiting.  Tonight it's the Half Blood Prince
)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Odd. I can open the web site with FireFox. Maybe your FireFox needs to be upgraded or is missing some plug ins? Or you may have a browser setting that prevents things fom being displayed properly.

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I actually went ahead and ordered it. I was briefly excited that they did in fact give me a treasure map when I opened the bag, but it just turned out to be feeding transition instructions hahaha. Today is the first day I tried it out on my kitten, and so far it is a hit. He ran up and instantly chowed down! This is a cat who steadfastly refused to touch dry food and would even pick it out of wet when I mixed it. We'll see how it treats his tummy and such but so far I'm calling it as a good choice for supplemental munching between meals and great for days when my schedule is a little inflexible for all wet kitten meals :)  

mika12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in NYC and got a nice sample bag from my local petstore- enough for three meals. I have 3 cats, 2 2.5 year old boy littermates, and an 11 month old girl I recently adopted. The girl doesn't eat ANY dry food (I feel Orijen and Wellness Core to my boys) so I decided to try out the sample I got on her and she LOVED it! So much that I went back and bought a bag of the chicken flavored one. One of my boys rarely drinks water and is very picky about food and he pushed my girl so he could get some too. Each piece is pretty small so it might not be good for those who don't chew their food well; the two that have been loving this food are both weird eaters, they can't chew certain soft treats (it just falls out the side of their mouths) but have no problem eating this. My other boy is a great water drinker, only eats when he's hungry (he free grazes dry food), and has no interest in wet food so I don't think he will be eating the Waggers which is fine by me because it's on the pricier side (came out to be $26 something after tax, the Orijen I get them is pricey as well but I believe they're 5lb bags, not 3lbs). I get made fun of because I do feed my cats premium brands but if it's going to keep them from over eating and healthy, I have no problem spending the extra money!

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in NYC and got a nice sample bag from my local petstore- enough for three meals. I have 3 cats, 2 2.5 year old boy littermates, and an 11 month old girl I recently adopted. The girl doesn't eat ANY dry food (I feel Orijen and Wellness Core to my boys) so I decided to try out the sample I got on her and she LOVED it! So much that I went back and bought a bag of the chicken flavored one. One of my boys rarely drinks water and is very picky about food and he pushed my girl so he could get some too. Each piece is pretty small so it might not be good for those who don't chew their food well; the two that have been loving this food are both weird eaters, they can't chew certain soft treats (it just falls out the side of their mouths) but have no problem eating this. My other boy is a great water drinker, only eats when he's hungry (he free grazes dry food), and has no interest in wet food so I don't think he will be eating the Waggers which is fine by me because it's on the pricier side (came out to be $26 something after tax, the Orijen I get them is pricey as well but I believe they're 5lb bags, not 3lbs). I get made fun of because I do feed my cats premium brands but if it's going to keep them from over eating and healthy, I have no problem spending the extra money!
Yeah, the price isn't what I'd like it to be but it is small enough price to pay for healthy food that finicky cats will eat. Don't feel too bad, I get made fun of for how I feed my cats too, but my last cat lived almost 21 years so I must have been doing something right hahaha. The new kitten I have gets a wide variety of high quality wet food fed in rotation (One can in the morning and one in the evening) and the salmon & chicken waggers free fed. So far it seems to be a good system and it gives me the cushion I need on busy days when I can't be there at his regular feeding times.

mika12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What brand(s) of wet do you give your babies? I've tried everything- all three seem to like Fussie Cat so I buy cases of those, my new girl is happy to eat pretty much anything but I've settled on Weruva TruLuxe (she loves Kawa Bunga the most) and Spots Stew to switch it up. I also found Applaws recently- they sell these appetizer portions that come in plastic cups and bought them because they only have 3-4 ingredients in them! It's a good 'snack':)
My guys are so picky so I can never buy too much of something because one day they'll eat it and the next day they won't even look. this woman told me that feeding cat food with fish/tuna isn't good for them- I usually don't get paranoid, especially because my cats are in great health, but am interested in any thoughts/input.

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What brand(s) of wet do you give your babies? I've tried everything- all three seem to like Fussie Cat so I buy cases of those, my new girl is happy to eat pretty much anything but I've settled on Weruva TruLuxe (she loves Kawa Bunga the most) and Spots Stew to switch it up. I also found Applaws recently- they sell these appetizer portions that come in plastic cups and bought them because they only have 3-4 ingredients in them! It's a good 'snack'

My guys are so picky so I can never buy too much of something because one day they'll eat it and the next day they won't even look. this woman told me that feeding cat food with fish/tuna isn't good for them- I usually don't get paranoid, especially because my cats are in great health, but am interested in any thoughts/input.
As far as picky goes my kitten just has rich taste mostly, he's pretty chill about eating all of these upper(ish) brands of wet food but only the waggers "dry" food.

Nutro Max (kitten)
-Chicken & Oceanfish
-Chicken & Liver

Blue buffalo Wilderness(kitten)
-Chicken
-Salmon

Blue buffalo healthy gormet (kitten)
-Chicken

Natures variety (all life stages)
-Salmon
-Pork
-Beef
-Lamb 
-Duck 
-Rabit

Wellness (kitten)
-Chicken

I try to make sure he doesn't end up with one brand or one flavor multiple times a day, mostly because I would hate eating the same food over and over again and can't imagine a cat would be much different if given a choice. I live in Virginia so I have a dearth of options for in store buying, which is the only way I can get all the foods without buying cases. I mostly just wander down the pet store aisle and look for food without many grains or by-products geared towards kittens and let my tiny monster taste test them.

sirenscall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 this woman told me that feeding cat food with fish/tuna isn't good for them- I usually don't get paranoid, especially because my cats are in great health, but am interested in any thoughts/input.
The woman who told you not to give much food with fish/tuna isn't exactly wrong, but there seems to be a lot of argument about it. What it comes down to is that many fish seem to have a high level of mercury in them that can build up in a cats system and cause them trouble down the road. Personally I don't worry too much about it, but I still try to limit how much I give adult cats, no more than once or twice a week. In kitten food it seems that your main options are only chicken, fish, and turkey flavors so there isn't a lot of wiggle room. Since I'm not a vet or otherwise formally educated in cat nutrition I can't say how valid these are but it does seem to hold water as I've researched. My best advice on this is to just research it yourself and weigh the evidence as you see it or ask some vets. 

mika12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're right- there is just so much information everywhere that I end up driving myself crazy! My friend's mom said she fed her cat regular cans of tuna for its whole life, it lived 21 great years. There are plenty of cats who eat fancy feast and live long healthy lives...I guess we know our cats best and know what works best for them.
When I first got my boys, I was interested in feeding them a raw diet but the vet was so against it and suggested Royal Canine dry for their free graze. My boys would scarf that stuff down and I realized they weren't getting full so I switched to Orijen and Wellness Core and the difference in the amount they ate was insane. Their coat got super shiny and silky as well, I really do believe feeding grain free is important. I love my current vet so I will ask her opinion on the tuna/fish thing!
Thanks for all your replies- it's great to get input from other mommies!

21rouge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a new addition to our go to cat food store (Canada). As others have mentioned it is incredibly expensive (3 lbs for $30). I have mixed with our usual Orijen dry food. Our 3 cats have so far eaten it w/o question.