Vomiting, not eating or drinking, unhappy with vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet has given your kitty some pain meds. I will pray for you all and hope that Dollsy rebounds quickly!!! Hugs to you and my deepest condolences for the loss of Daisy.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine (sp?) is a partial agonist/antagonist and has a limited effect despite higher doses...in other words, it helps with pain to a certain degree but after a certain dosage, more of the drug doesn't cause additional effects. I agree about a large dose of an opiate based painkiller being used if necessary, but Buprenorphine might not be strong enough (although in her weakened state, it might be enough to help her across the rainbow bridge without pain). A stronger pain product would be more appropriate, although I hate to have to resort to euthanasia. Even though it is best for everyone, I still have great difficulties in dealing with feelings of guilt and grief afterwards.

I hope for the best for little Dollsy. A tiny ball of fur half way across the world and she has my eyes getting misty, thinking about her little fight for life. Please pull off a miracle!!

Jim

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
w2q12 oh sorry that was my cat saying hello :)

It's likely the syringe feeding that has kept her here. Her body will survive on that unless/until it is no longer able to function, it can either mean saving a life, or not. But not syringing means certain death, and for me personally, I will syringe feed unless I know for sure a kitten has actually begun the process of passing away, and have been surprised that sometimes it will pull them through, so don't think of it as prolonging death, if she is going to die it will happen regardless.

There are some ways to tell if she is in the dying process.

Use a watch or clock with a second hand or google one online, place your hand on her left side just behind her front leg. Count the heart beats for 15 seconds, then multiply it times 4. This is the cat's heart rate.

Do the same with breaths, count how many times her chest/tummy expands for 15 seconds then multiply times 4. 

Take her temperature with a rectal thermometer.

If you can not then feel her paw pads, do they feel warm or cool?

You can also smell her breath. Smell like kitten breath or foul?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Catwoman that you should continue to syringe fluids into her. It's obviously kept her going this long. There is always a chance she could bounce back sunce she's still alive. Poor sweet baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt claw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little warrior passed away five hours back. I tried syringe feeding but she wouldn't swallow. It'd just dribble down the other side of her mouth. She passed away at about 5 AM. It's around 10 now. I just buried her

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, no :bawling: I'm so, so sorry :(

You were an amazing mum to her and her siblings. Try to take some comfort from the knowledge that they knew love and comfort in their final days, and that they loved you every bit as much as you loved them :alright::hugs:

:rbheart: Rest in peace, Dollsy, you gorgeous girl :rbheart:
:angel::heart3::Blue Dragonfly::heart3::purple Butterfly::heart3::paw::heart3::rbheart::heart3::paw::heart3::purple Butterfly::heart3::Blue Dragonfly::heart3::angel:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
@Capt Claw the team at TCS would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.

When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect.  However if you feel you would like to, we have a crossing the bridge forum where many members start a tribute thread for their beloved companions.
 RIP Dollsy,
You were well loved
 ​

Status
Not open for further replies.