vomiting from ringworm medication

phantom05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been pouring over all the threads regarding ringworm here since we are battling infection.  One of my cat who's got the worst lesion has been on all 3 meds - terbinafine, itraconozole, and fluconozol and all have made him vomit.  Has any of the ringworm warriors experienced this and what did you do? Also adding that the lime sulfur dip is close to impossible with this cat.  I need to treat aggressively since I have some spots as well and we have 3 cats.

thanks 

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please got to you vet right away the vomiting is a very bad sign! He could possible be dying from the ringworm right now!

#DiegoJames

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do NOT die from ringworm. But your cat sounds like he's having a bad reaction to one or more of the Meds and you should consult your vet immediately. It's possible you are being overly aggressive in his treatment. Some of the Meds for RW are toxic and RW while unpleasant isn't dangerous.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of a cat or person dying of Ringworm.  It's just a fungal skin infection.  It is very contagious and can be a real pain to get rid of.  I have heard of cats particularly kittens having it to the point they lose most of their fur.  With a bad infection some vets will shave a cat so the medicine can work better.  I think the vomiting is a reaction to a medicine and a reaction to medication can be serious.

I think it is pretty common for the cat's owner to get ringworm to.  Hopefully someone that knows about alternative treatments will post soon.  The only thing I know about it is the dip and you let the cat dry off on their own rather the towel drying them.  I think that's why they sometimes shave so the medicine gets better contact with the skin.

Last edited:

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've never heard of a cat or person dying of Ringworm.  It's just a fungal skin infection.  It is very contagious and can be a real pain to get rid of.  I have heard of cats particularly kittens having it to the point they lose most of their fur.  With a bad infection some vets will shave a cat so the medicine can work better.  I think the vomiting is a reaction to a medicine and a reaction to medication can be serious.

I think it is pretty common for the cat's owner to get ringworm to.  Hopefully someone that knows about alternative treatments will post soon.  The only thing I know about it is the dip and you let the cat dry off on their own rather the towel drying them.  I think that's why they sometimes shave so the medicine gets better contact with the skin.

DiegoJames's Report

Look it up it has happened if it is treated wrong. This is why I am worried!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take him off of oral medications and treat topically.  We had ringworm at the vet clinic I worked at in the adoption cats we had (they picked it up from the shelter), they were all treated topically with nothing oral and they all recovered just fine.  I have been where you are at, I had a kitten who had ringworm so bad she lost most of her fur.

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I would take him off of oral medications and treat topically.  We had ringworm at the vet clinic I worked at in the adoption cats we had (they picked it up from the shelter), they were all treated topically with nothing oral and they all recovered just fine.  I have been where you are at, I had a kitten who had ringworm so bad she lost most of her fur.
I feel so sorry for that cat! How old is it now? Did it's fur grow back? Sorry to ask so many things but Diego's Uncle Tanner is stuck with both a UTI and RW and it is really hard for Diego to see his Uncle in so much pain cause to Diego Tanner isn't an Uncle but a brother! If you haven't yet read my threads well now you will learn that both diego's mom and dad died before he was around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks! He was the only kitten left due to his mother leaving him since he was a runt! The other kittens either died or ran off. His mom died of what was believed to be an instestine infection. My grandma new there was somrthing wrong with Diego's mom but didn't foreshadow it as serious! One day she can along with her intestines out of her. My Step- Grandpa did what was best and put her down. This was hard to think of even doing since just only three day before that Diego's dad got trap at the nieghboring farm and was shot. Tanner his uncle and princess his aunt are the only ones there in his familly. Tanner is from his father's side and Princess is from his mother's side. And yes those two did make a litter, and it was last year.

PS I'm sorry I ment TANNER is his grandpa sorry got mixed up. Princess is his aunt though. Yes an old cat grandpa and aunt had baby kittens hard to believe but it happened! Thank godness we are taking Diego he is still 2 months but there is girl kitties that still arn't spayed and this is a BIG problem on farms. It seems you can never get everyone spayed and nuetered so then Diego happens! I just don't want the same problem for diego to repeat itself!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel so sorry for that cat! How old is it now? Did it's fur grow back? Sorry to ask so many things but Diego's Uncle Tanner is stuck with both a UTI and RW and it is really hard for Diego to see his Uncle in so much pain cause to Diego Tanner isn't an Uncle but a brother! If you haven't yet read my threads well now you will learn that both diego's mom and dad died before he was around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks! He was the only kitten left due to his mother leaving him since he was a runt! The other kittens either died or ran off. His mom died of what was believed to be an instestine infection. My grandma new there was somrthing wrong with Diego's mom but didn't foreshadow it as serious! One day she can along with her intestines out of her. My Step- Grandpa did what was best and put her down. This was hard to think of even doing since just only three day before that Diego's dad got trap at the nieghboring farm and was shot. Tanner his uncle and princess his aunt are the only ones there in his familly. Tanner is from his father's side and Princess is from his mother's side. And yes those two did make a litter, and it was last year.

PS I'm sorry I ment TANNER is his grandpa sorry got mixed up. Princess is his aunt though. Yes an old cat grandpa and aunt had baby kittens hard to believe but it happened! Thank godness we are taking Diego he is still 2 months but there is girl kitties that still arn't spayed and this is a BIG problem on farms. It seems you can never get everyone spayed and nuetered so then Diego happens! I just don't want the same problem for diego to repeat itself!
My cat is now 3 years old and yes her fur grew back.  You can see pictures here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tigger-aka-tiggles You can see the hair loss in about the 3rd or 4th picture down.  The rest are more recent pictures.  She really grew into a beautiful cat.

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise