Vomiting Cat

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all

One of my cats has very severe food allergies, something I've discussed on this site often. His current food has not been agreeing with him, so I decided to try new food with my vet temporarily. I just started introducing this food in the last week, but he has been vomiting a lot in the last day. I'm not 100% sure if it's the old food, the new food, or both. I've contacted my vet for direction, but we've tried just about every vet diet. For now, though, I am looking for a temporary fix while I figure out which long term food options are the best for him. I have plenty of water for him, and his water fountain is full too. I'm not sure if this is possible, but do you think something like kitten formula or high caloric paste might be a good option just to make sure he ingests something?

Thank you this community is always so helpful and I'd appreciate any support you can give me!

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all

One of my cats has very severe food allergies, something I've discussed on this site often. His current food has not been agreeing with him, so I decided to try new food with my vet temporarily. I just started introducing this food in the last week, but he has been vomiting a lot in the last day. I'm not 100% sure if it's the old food, the new food, or both. I've contacted my vet for direction, but we've tried just about every vet diet. For now, though, I am looking for a temporary fix while I figure out which long term food options are the best for him. I have plenty of water for him, and his water fountain is full too. I'm not sure if this is possible, but do you think something like kitten formula or high caloric paste might be a good option just to make sure he ingests something?

Thank you this community is always so helpful and I'd appreciate any support you can give me!
Yes kitten food is good. Canned or dry. Plenty of calories and nutrients also baby food meat. No additives.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten food might be too rich for him, and might be just as likely as the veterinary diets to cause vomiting.

A high caloric paste might be worth trying, but it won't be enough on its own.

Kitten formula or goats milk/raw goats milk might well be worth trying. Those may be better tolerated and less challenging for his digestion. Or Hills a/d (assuming you haven't already tried it).

Plain meat baby food might work, but avoid any protein sources you know he's allergic to.

I'm thinking also try making the food as simple as possible. Plain meat or fish, or even scrambled egg. Bone broth might be worth trying too, as it's very gentle on the stomach, but also nutritious.

I'd start by eliminating all known allergens of his, and go from there. It doesn't matter right now if the food is balanced so much as getting calories and fluids into him whilst you figure out your next step.

I'm not a vet, but just trying to use the same logic I would with one of mine. I hope you get to the root of his issues soon, and you're able to get some nutrition and fluids into him that stay down :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ETA:- Just realised I misread the original post (mistaking kitten formula for kitten food). Sorry about that:doh:

Last edited:

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes kitten food is good. Canned or dry. Plenty of calories and nutrients also baby food meat. No additives.
This is what I would do but you do what is right for your kitty. Bone broth is good too. It is whatever your kitty can tolerate. My cats are on 9 lives essential. Do well with this. No more throwing up on one of my kitties except hairballs. There is a lot of good advice. You do what your kitty can tolerate

• Purraise
Reactions: Bel

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into raw? I know its helped some cats who have severe allergies. Whatever food you get you want to make sure is carrageenan free as that can cause stomach irritation and if you have a cat who vomits lots you don't want to add more inflammation to an already angry stomach and intestines.