Vomiting but no vet till Monday

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys my two year old Lil Bit threw up once yesterday morning and I figured it was due to Thursday when I had had to feed a different food because I was out of their usual and a friend gifted me a bag of cheeper food, anyway last night I ended up with the stomach flu and Lil Bit threw up a few more times and again this morning. We switched back to her regular food yesterday, and she ate good, she didn't want to eat earlier this morning and the vomit has been mainly clear water though occasionally with food chunks or a couple times half digested food. Other than the vomiting she's acting as she normally dose hanging out dozing getting nosey when I bring in the mail or groceries. She's drinking but not real interested in food. The vet isn't open till Monday any tips to get her threw till then? (Picture taken a month ago)
* She is spayed
* she is small for her age.
*She had flea medicine topical a week ago.(provecta 2)
* She doesn't seem lathargic.
* She turned her nose up at a tray of salmon flavored wet food when offered to tempt her appetite.
* She ate good yesterday, but vomited a lot up last night.
* Had diarrhea wee hours of the morning yesterday blamed food change.
* No emergency Vet in our area (that I can afford)
* Other cats in the house seem fine no one else is vomiting
* Her bestie and playmate passed a week ago from unknown cause sudden onset anemia. She liked sitting on his head and bathing him.
* Most of the vomit is clear liquid
* I worked from 9am Thurs to 7Pm & yesterday from 12-6pm. so I can't say what she did during those times.
* She went 8-9 hours between vomits today one episode vomiting twice at 10 am and one episode vomiting twice at 5pm (5pm was one clear liquid one with small food chunks but mostly clear.)
Any Advice Please.
IMG_20220525_223332589.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It doesn't sound like an emergency, so just watch over her and keep her eating her regular food - along with watching for more diarrhea.

I wasn't sure about the vomiting because I think you said she threw up a lot last night, but then you mentioned that she mostly is throwing up clear liquid. You might try giving her more frequent meals to see if that might help with the clear liquid vomiting - sounds like that could be from going too long between meals (stomach acid build up). If she gets hairballs from time to time, that might also be playing a role in this.

She could be grieving a bit from the loss of her bestie, and the food change was just enough to set her 'over the edge'.

Let us know how things progress with her - hopefully, you will be telling us that she has settled down some and is doing fine!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly clear and a little foamy is either stomach acid. Or mostly water. My Betty will get these hairballs that tear her up all day. The best I can do for her is to take away her food and turn off her water fountains for a good six to eight hours and let her vomit herself dry. If I leave a fountain on, she’ll load up on water and then barf it all out. After about eight hours, I’ll try her with 1/4 portions. If she can keep a quarter portion down, she may get a half portion a few hours later.

My recommendations is to restrict her access to food and water for long enough to settle her stomach: about eight hours. Then start her back with smaller portions for half a day or a day. If she free feeds, you may have to lock her up in another room or a bathroom to enforce that quiet time for an upset tummy. The short-term stress of being in tummy time out alone is worth not having to needlessly lengthen the time her stomach is in spasm and rejecting food and water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mostly clear and a little foamy is either stomach acid. Or mostly water. My Betty will get these hairballs that tear her up all day. The best I can do for her is to take away her food and turn off her water fountains for a good six to eight hours and let her vomit herself dry. If I leave a fountain on, she’ll load up on water and then barf it all out. After about eight hours, I’ll try her with 1/4 portions. If she can keep a quarter portion down, she may get a half portion a few hours later.

My recommendations is to restrict her access to food and water for long enough to settle her stomach: about eight hours. Then start her back with smaller portions for half a day or a day. If she free feeds, you may have to lock her up in another room or a bathroom to enforce that quiet time for an upset tummy. The short-term stress of being in tummy time out alone is worth not having to needlessly lengthen the time her stomach is in spasm and rejecting food and water.
Thanks and yes all 6 free feed I have four plates of food set out starting at 8-9 am because one of the boys will throw up if he eats out of a bowl but I'll try holding the food. Bought Pedialyte to give her if she throws up liquid again I looked it up and it should be safe in small amounts I'm worried about dehydration. She seems to be going 6-8 hours between vomits.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. It doesn't sound like an emergency, so just watch over her and keep her eating her regular food - along with watching for more diarrhea.

I wasn't sure about the vomiting because I think you said she threw up a lot last night, but then you mentioned that she mostly is throwing up clear liquid. You might try giving her more frequent meals to see if that might help with the clear liquid vomiting - sounds like that could be from going too long between meals (stomach acid build up). If she gets hairballs from time to time, that might also be playing a role in this.

She could be grieving a bit from the loss of her bestie, and the food change was just enough to set her 'over the edge'.

Let us know how things progress with her - hopefully, you will be telling us that she has settled down some and is doing fine!
She dose tend to get hair balls and the first time she threw up I just assumed she tried and failed to get it up cleaned up the water shed puked up and went to work. Also three weeks ago someone a neighbor left a bag of nine lives at my door and I also feed a small feral colony of 3 currently as someone dumped a new one off anyway I ended up switching from their normal Purina to it two weeks ago for about 3 days due to a delay in my pay check the rest went to the ferals then it was Purina untill Thursday when it was the cheep Purina kit and kaboodle for 24 hours or so untill I was able to get their usual which I did yesterday around 10Am and she ate well today her appetite has been little to not existent but as I said other than the mostly water vomit and appetite decrease she seems fine and I free feed I use a small container from the Amish store that I get dog treats in once it's empty to scoop out the food they get two of these a day it's about 2 cups separated into 4 plates and available all day and night untill it's gone I feel once a day in the morning and they graze threw out the day. Normally theirs very little or none left the next morning.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems it was just greif and food change Sunday night she hadn't vomited in 12 hrs by Monday morning she was back to her usual self