Vomiting bile possible blockage in Ragodoll-What to ask vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi

My Bugsy has Ibd.... The only thing that made him better was a raw diet.... Nothing else worked.... Not sire of you are willing to try, but I would give it a shot before going the steroids route... You might be able to go without it....
Good luck to you and your little one
I have been trying to get him on raw for a few months now. He vomits every time I give him a tiny amount, actually I gave him some on Saturday and Sunday in his wet food and my mother is now blaming that for this latest hairball episode. My dog is on all raw and the kitten was on mostly raw but she is now being irritating and sometimes refusing it (she would rather steal Frank's dry food which I have to keep down so he will eat something and his wet food). Feeding time is a nightmare in my house!  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One quick comment on the gas in x-rays... it can also simply be from stress at being at the vet and getting the x-ray. :rolleyes:

As to the hairballs... I know that during shedding season Carolina has had to use vaseline to get the hairballs on those long-haired kitties through their system. But if I recall correctly, her cats do not like and will not eat egg yolks, so the egg yolk lecithin itself is not doing the job.

Here's a thread on lecithin and yolks, with information later in the thread about why they (typically) work for (normal) hairball issues: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250653/egg-lecithin-for-hairballs

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Yes I am kicking myself for not getting the egg lechin and I will pick some up today. There is egg yolk in one of the tiki cat flavours though.

He seems all better today the anti nausea and cypro yesterday worked and I think he had thrown up all the hair balls. I just wish I could have these meds on hand without having to go back to the vet ( I am almost all out). Does anyone know if I can order them online?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One quick comment on the gas in x-rays... it can also simply be from stress at being at the vet and getting the x-ray. :rolleyes:

As to the hairballs... I know that during shedding season Carolina has had to use vaseline to get the hairballs on those long-haired kitties through their system. But if I recall correctly, her cats do not like and will not eat egg yolks, so the egg yolk lecithin itself is not doing the job.

Here's a thread on lecithin and yolks, with information later in the thread about why they (typically) work for (normal) hairball issues: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250653/egg-lecithin-for-hairballs
Ohhhhh I see where this is coming from now - I read the other thread..... Sorry :D
BTW - I use Vaseline (or laxatone for those who can deal with) in case of emergency, like situations such as what the OP was going through.... But my maintenance mode is Lecithin, 1 capsule/day.
Currently they are off Vaseline and doing fine - I don't know for how long...... we will see :cross: for a while :cross:
Raggies are furry!!! And the ones with digestion issues Bugsy and Lucky) are the ones who are affected the most.

I notice also that the older they get, the worst it gets...... :/

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhhh I see where this is coming from now - I read the other thread..... Sorry

BTW - I use Vaseline (or laxatone for those who can deal with) in case of emergency, like situations such as what the OP was going through.... But my maintenance mode is Lecithin, 1 capsule/day.
Currently they are off Vaseline and doing fine - I don't know for how long...... we will see
for a while

Raggies are furry!!! And the ones with digestion issues Bugsy and Lucky) are the ones who are affected the most.

I notice also that the older they get, the worst it gets...... :/
Yup they are furry. I know it is kind of mean but I am getting him shaved on Monday (a lion cut)-I found a mobile groomer who will come to the house. I just could not take him getting another hairball this shedding season and the fuminator is just is not cutting it.

I am also going to start giving him lecithin and the ibs treatment from vitality science and I am praying these will work! Will keep everyone updated.  

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup they are furry. I know it is kind of mean but I am getting him shaved on Monday (a lion cut)-I found a mobile groomer who will come to the house. I just could not take him getting another hairball this shedding season and the fuminator is just is not cutting it.

I am also going to start giving him lecithin and the ibs treatment from vitality science and I am praying these will work! Will keep everyone updated.  
Nope, not mean at all! My vet actually recommended me to do it every season..... But with the four of them it would cost me a pretty penny...... plus the stress of taking them in. I would need to drop them off in the am for the entire day. To get a van to come in would cost about $200/cat - multiplying that by 4 is just not in my budget right now...... THAT is mean :(

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy moly! I had no idea a lion cut was that expensive! I never really considered it for my shorthair, but wow!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, not mean at all! My vet actually recommended me to do it every season..... But with the four of them it would cost me a pretty penny...... plus the stress of taking them in. I would need to drop them off in the am for the entire day. To get a van to come in would cost about $200/cat - multiplying that by 4 is just not in my budget right now...... THAT is mean
Oh wow I finally found something cheaper here! There are a few groomers that come to your house one is $65 but she was booked so the one I am going with is $85. Both of the groomers I contacted are vet techs and have good reviews online. There was another service I found that is $100 but I was weirded out because they asked if my cat was declawed. 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another update: my mother just called me and told me he threw up another hairball! He didn't throw up his food this morning and was acting all better. She said he is still acting fine and ate some freeze dried chicken. I did give him the laxatone this morning. My mother is saying it is a good thing he is throwing them up, but it really worries me! 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well he ate freeze dried chicken and had his normal amount of wet. He also seems in good spirits, really hope it stays this way! 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wanted to do another update he seems all better now. No hairballs and has a big appetite for him. He just practically devoured a good amount of pride by natures variety (by the way both my cats really love that stuff). It is very rare for him to try a new food but he started eating it right away when I got home after work. He then ate over half a can of tiki cat when I came home after  going to dinner. I gave him some more hairball remedy tonight and am still getting him shaved on monday. I am excited to get the vitality science it has to come across the boarder so not sure when I will get it. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Frank is doing better! Lots of vibes that he stays that way.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks vball!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So another update Frank continues to eat very well, but there was another hairball yesterday though we are not %100 it was him. Today I got him shaved my mother keeps going on how cruel it is, but I am relieved. It was kind of stressful though to do as I assisted the groomer and Frank was not very happy and he bit me for the first time ever. It only took about 30 min to do and he seems fine now. 

Here is a pic with his lion cut:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he's cute with his lion cut.  Did he act embarrassed for a while afterwards?  I was probably projecting but I thought Alice acted embarrassed for awhile afterward.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah he seems most upset about his tail which is is obsessed with. 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks LDG! He seems fine with the cut now and I keep telling him how cute he looks.

He is eating very well, but unfortunately he had another hairball this morning. I am hoping this was just residual hair from before the shaving and it will be the last one. Still have not received the vitality science, it has to go through customs so will be a few more days.