Vomiting after URI?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty is just getting over a URI. It had him breathing through his mouth on Saturday, back to breathing through his nose on Sunday and energy has seemed to resume almost to normal with him wanting to play again. There is just some residual sneezing.

He seemed uninterested in his dry food on the days he couldnt smell well. Monday he was being odd and pushing his water bowl around the kitchen, spilling water everywhere.

Tuesday he threw up 3 times after eating his dry food. We gave him wet food yesterday only which he kept down. Then today, he has kept down his dry food but threw up a ton of water, two different times.

I am going to be giving him only wet food again for the next few days, but what gives.

What is going on?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's impossible to tell what's going on. Is he on any medication for that URI? If so, that could be the issue (side effects of an antibiotic). He might have been really hungry and eaten too fast when he threw up on Tuesday since you said it happened after eating his dry food. Today when he threw up the water, was it before his meal? It's possible he was hungry so he drank a lot of water (too much) and got so filled up it had no where to go but out.

If the vomiting continues though, time to call your Vet. Is he peeing and pooping like normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are probably right on the eating too fast. Cause it was right after eating.
He is not on meds for the URI and it’s mostly passed now.
the water vomit was quite a while after drinking and eating. He had been laying in his toy box for a while before he got up to vomit.
peeing and pooping is normal. And he had blood tests recently which were normal so don’t think it’s hyperthyroid or anything.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If everything is good now, then I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully this was just a two-time thing only.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not yet sure that everything is okay.
We have been giving him wet food only this weekend. No vomiting thankfully.
I gave him half of his normal dry food amount this evening to see how he did on that. He ate it all in one go (as did his brother.) No vomiting.

However, as he was laying in bed next to me, he woke up and started licking & smacking his lips as if he was going to vomit. I picked him up and placed him on the hard floor for easy clean up. As I was holding his chest, I noticed his left side of his chest was quivering. I thought maybe he got spooked by my actions and felt the rest of him, but he wasnt shaking anywhere else, not even on the right side, where I felt a normal paced heartbeat.

He did some more smacking and licking, but ultimately did not throw up. The quivering in his chest stopped as well.

Very odd...

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you think something might be wrong, best to have a Vet look at him, or at the very least, give them a call and see what they think.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He hasnt had any vomiting lately! He is back to normal again. Yay!