Vomiting after eating

paula mandm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old kitty occasionally vomits soon after eating. He has done this since we adopted him at 10 months. Otherwise, he seems to be healthy, normal size and weight, playful, etc. He probably vomits 2 - 3 times a week, and it's typically within 5-10 minutes after eating. Feeding him small amounts of food does not seem to make a difference.

Should I be concerned? Thank you for comments.

Paula

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's throwing up partially digested or undigested food, then it is cause for concern. Throwing up can lead to mouth problems later on. It's possible that he's allergic to something in the food. What are you feeding him? Have you tried feeding him with his food dish elevated and or with large marbles in the bowl so he has to go slower?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paula mandm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your response Stephanie. He's been eating Purina (dry) Pro Plan indoor cat. Since he does not vomit every time he eats, maybe it is an issue of eating too fast. Adding marbles to his food sounds like a good idea. But I'm concerned that he may swallow a marble. Should the size of the marble be about the size of a grape?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you recently opened a new bag? If so, the formula may have changed. I used to use the regular sized marbles (about the size of a grape, yes) when we did this with Callie. You have to be sure to wash the marbles daily, if not more often.