Volunteers Cat Animal/cat Shelters, Do That Many People Really Develop Allergies To Their Cats?

river2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read a lot of notices in animal shelters where cats are put in shelters because their owners have become terribly allergic to them. I have allergies to other things and am really scared the same thing will happen to me and I'll have to give my beautiful cat up. Can anyone offer a glimmer of hope? Do that many people develop horrible allergies to their cats and have no choice but to reliquish them or can it be managed most times?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, the percentage of people who develop cat allergies that are so severe there is no option other than rehoming is miniscule. It happens occasionally, but it's not a common thing at all. In most cases, the owner simply was not willing to try a solution (such as allergy pills or shots/air filters/vacuuming more) or gave that as a reason for rehoming because they felt it sounded better than whatever the real reason was.

I highly doubt allergies will force you to give up your cat if you are actively seeking a way to keep it. It's not impossible, but it's not a high probability.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had allergy testing that showed a moderate allergy to cats. Despite the level being considered "moderate" by the doctor, my symptoms are usually not that bad. Blakeney Green is right, with the right preventative measures most people can live peacefully with their cats.

Though I disagree with "allergy shots" being thrown around as a cure. Allergy shots are a cure that is far worse than the disease.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DD has a friend who lived with her mom. They had 2 cats who were senior gals. They had them for years. All of a sudden, DD's friend's allergies were so "severe" that they brought them to the Humane Society. They were not put up for adoption due to their advanced ages. They never even tried to find someone to take or at least foster them prior to surrendering them. :sigh:

I would have taken them but found out after it was too late. :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My DD has a friend who lived with her mom. They had 2 cats who were senior gals. They had them for years. All of a sudden, DD's friend's allergies were so "severe" that they brought them to the Humane Society. They were not put up for adoption due to their advanced ages. They never even tried to find someone to take or at least foster them prior to surrendering them. :sigh:

I would have taken them but found out after it was too late. :frown:
That's terrible. Did your daughter's friend have allergies previously and it suddenly got worse? What were her symptoms? Were the poor cats put to sleep?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m mildly allergic to my cats but would never give them up for it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's terrible. Did your daughter's friend have allergies previously and it suddenly got worse? What were her symptoms? Were the poor cats put to sleep?
That's what they said but I doubt it. like I said, the cats had lived with both of them for years. Yes, I believe that they were. I don't blame my DD's friend. They were 16 at the time :ohwell:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had animals all my life and with the exception of one horse, I never have had any allergies to them. With the horse, it was something in our skins that didn't sync. I broke out in a rash wherever I touched him other than the palm of my hand. Didn't matter, I put up with it.
I believe unless you already have allergies to them, If you vacuum and wash bedding to keep the dander down, you won't become so allergic that you have to give them up.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Allergies can and do develop at any point in a person's life. While I fully believe it is possible to develop an allergy to cats in general I don't think you would develop an allergy to your cat. The reason being that if you are allergic, and I am, to cats you develop a tolerance to your cat after a certain amount of time. I do believe that people who surrender cats/kittens they had less than a year may have legitimately not realized they had an allergy or they might not have realized the severity of it until the Cat was in their home. I can't fault someone who decides that changing their life and taking daily medications isn't for them. I take three medications a day, did five years of allergy shots, don't have curtains, don't have carpeting and my furniture is either hardwood or leather. All to be able to have cats and that isn't a way everyone is willing to live.

So, yes, cats owned under a year I can see surrendered for that reason. But the one where the cats were older is likely not that. The cats probably got too old, and I really want to be wrong. At a rough guess I would bet that 50% of surrenders for allergies are legit allergies. I am sure others are people just not wanting to admit the real reason. Out of shame when filling out the paperwork and being judged by others; not only at the adoption center but also by their friends or family. The other would be to hide something that the adoption center might deem as unacceptable or impact chances to find a home (like peeing outside litter box or scratching furniture or fighting with other cats). It could also be that the adoption center changed the reason to something that tugs on people's heartstrings. A cat surrendered for a reason related to their humans is more appealing then a cat who may have had a medical issues now treated or behavior issues that were due to environment.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I agree with most of your post, the long time pets are either being lied about or the workers are changing it, the short term pet owners likely didn't know.

Allergies can and do develop at any point in a person's life. While I fully believe it is possible to develop an allergy to cats in general I don't think you would develop an allergy to your cat. The reason being that if you are allergic, and I am, to cats you develop a tolerance to your cat after a certain amount of time.
:flail::lolup:

I had no cat allergies as a kid. None. A couple of years after getting Shadow and Montressor, I was tested as having a moderate cat allergy. Those two triggered it. It's been 15 years and I'm still allergic to Montressor. Most nights are just a stuffy nose and a mild sinus headache, some nights are emergency Sudafed at 2am because the sinus headache is so bad. One night my husband wasn't home so I didn't turn on the fan that blows on us from feet to head. The headache I woke up to at 2am was one of those that makes you wish you were dead. Apparently that fan normally blew all of Montressor's allergens away from my face, since he sleeps above my head.

I tried allergy shots, lasted all of 3 weeks. A single hive the size of the palm of my hand lasting nearly a week and really debilitating flu-like symptoms for 3 days following each injection was not something I could live with. So I can totally understand why someone would not want to get allergy shots.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the number of people saying that an allergy is why they are surrendering their cat is all that reliable. I think that is, for some people anyway, an excuse that someone wouldn't challenge them on.

I don't know how many people develop an allergy to cats and of that number how many develop a severe allergy requiring rehoming. We have had, probably still have, people here that have some degree of allergy to cats. Most have been able to keep their cats by doing a few things to help keep the dander now. Frequent vacuuming, running an air purifier, wiping down their cats with a damp cloth every few days, and not allowing the cats in the bedroom are some of the things that I have seen mentioned here.