Vixens Being A Lil' Vixen :..

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My, baby Vixen is prego, but I'm not real sure how far along, I thought she was due to have them earlier this month but she's not showing any signs. She is being a bit honory to the other cats, & spends a lot of time in her box, her mammary glandls are also dropped & filling. So I guess my question is does anyone have a clue as to how close we are to having kitties? Any thoughts are appreciated

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you feel the kittens move? How long now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's semi feral so don't let me hold her often, I believe I've felt them move twice now the first time being around 3 weeks or so ago. She let's me rub her belly or use to, but she would always tense up and make it tight so really couldn't feel anything at all.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to keep her inside and away from intact males until the kittens have weaned?

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's in an outside pen with 7 other semi feral cats two males who have already been fixed and the rest we are working on,

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should really be inside in a dark, quiet space. She should not be outside with other cats right now.

In addition, she can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, so will need to be separated.

Where did all of these cats come from?

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are 8 month old kittens we trapped & pened from a feral colony, still trying to trap, their mommas(2) and 1 more male kitten. We, first trapped them around thanksgiving.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway that you can separate her? Either in a dog crate or a spare bedroom or bathroom? I think having her kittens that close to all of those cats may be stressful to her. Also as it was mentioned she can get pregnant again a week after birth even without going on heat.
Thank you for caring for these cats!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you began to feel the kittens move 3 weeks ago,it should be near now.

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did try to bring her in about a week or so ago, but we have 2 small house dogs & my mom's is very happy with the kitties so she got so stressed out she started running into the walls& door. So I put her in the carrier & she kept ramming the sides & door so I was scared she was going to hurt herself or her kittens so I put her back in the 20 x25pen we built

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said keeping her inside is not working but the other risk with her being around intact males is they will continute to breed with her over and over. This results in her being pregnant by multiple males and the kittens will all be born at the same time but aren't all necessarily ready to be, which basically equals a big mess. Maybe a large dog crate? Perhaps a friend has one you can borrow. Or a bathroom in your house?

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All the male kittens have been neutered, and I am in process of blocking off a small section of the pen where her box is. Hopefully it'll work.

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No worries, I am the same way. That is why we took & got the boys fixed first, I am just hoping blocking off the pen works

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sooo, apparently I Really don't know ANYTHING ABOUT CATS BEING PREGO!
VIXEN still has not had her kitties which means I was WAY OFF on her knock up date. But WE DID GET her mamma ( bad news she's PREGO too) .
SO NOW TO MY QUESTION, Vixen started having clear discharge, and noticeable intermintet contractions on tue night around 8:30,( when we actually noticed) she's been restless, vocal, and acting like she's in heat, early wed morn she started to breathe abit heavier &faster but never settled down (still having contractions). Any way now it seems as if everything but her acting heat, discharge, & occasionally vocalizing has stopped! Is that normal for a first time litter? Or labor in gen? Or should I be worried about her? ( more than I already am)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may have been pre-labor, but it would be best to have a vet check her if you are concerned.

If she has dystocia, her labor will not progress normally and she would be unable to produce strong enough contractions to push out the kittens.

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so for your advice, I'm new to this cat/ kittens thing (never had them)
These r all rescues so I'm truely clueless &
Trying not to freak out about every little thing, I don't quite understand pre-labor?
Is that the 1st stage or like braxton hicks?

Rescue_13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is some pics of Vixen today & her mamma,
20180322_191501.jpg
20180322_191522_Burst01.jpg
20180322_191639.jpg
20180322_191716_Burst01.jpg
20180322_191501.jpg
20180322_191716_Burst01.jpg