Visiting, and my cat is beating up the host's

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am visiting for a week and my cat is stalking, cornering, and beating the hell out of Charlie.

Charlie is the host's recently adopted kitten, he is only a few weeks old and a harmless little bug. He only wants to cuddle and play. This is his home, we are the ones who came to visit. But Jokasta does nothing since she arrived except torment the poor fella. She keeps growling and acting like a major bully. She refuses to eat, drink, or use the litter box. It's like her life's purpose is exterminating poor Charlie. 

Anyone has any idea how I can bring back the peace? I'm feeling sorry for the little guy being whacked in his own home, and I don't want to keep my cat locked in the bathroom for a week. 

Thankies!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is normal behavior and setting up who's going to be the top cat.  If you don't want this to happen, confine your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is normal behavior and setting up who's going to be the top cat.  If you don't want this to happen, confine your cat.

What's to be "top" about, he's the size of her head + one ear. Jeez, cats!

But yeah, it looks like this is the solution for the moment... keeping her away from him. 

Thanks for your input! 

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten of a few weeks old should not be around another cat, he can easily be hurt. Keep them apart at all times.

Has he got his mum and littermates or is he being hand raised? 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Top cat" status has nothing to do with age or size, but by personality of the cat.  You see this type of behavior whenever you introduce a new cat to a home. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are visiting a house with another cat for only one week, you should never let your cats interact with each other. That simply is not enough time for two cats to start getting along. I made that mistake when my roommate's girlfriend's cat was staying at my apartment for a week or so while her kitchen was being worked on. My roommate let the cat out, and I got to see my normally confident and happy cat be reduced to a quaking, slinking shell of himself. It took a long time for him to calm down, even after the other cat was back in his own home.

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A kitten of a few weeks old should not be around another cat, he can easily be hurt. Keep them apart at all times.

Has he got his mum and littermates or is he being hand raised? 
He is being hand raised. He was rescued from the side of the road after the owner saw a rather large dog giving him trouble. Mommy and possible littermates were nowhere to be found.
"Top cat" status has nothing to do with age or size, but by personality of the cat.  You see this type of behavior whenever you introduce a new cat to a home. 

Yeah, I see that now. Well, the little guy fought back and is now occasionally chasing *my* cat. Turn of events!

But we mostly keep them apart for their own good now, and I think peace is somewhere at the horizon. (At least my cat seems to be growing bored with him.)

Last edited:

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are visiting a house with another cat for only one week, you should never let your cats interact with each other. That simply is not enough time for two cats to start getting along. I made that mistake when my roommate's girlfriend's cat was staying at my apartment for a week or so while her kitchen was being worked on. My roommate let the cat out, and I got to see my normally confident and happy cat be reduced to a quaking, slinking shell of himself. It took a long time for him to calm down, even after the other cat was back in his own home.
Very good advice, thank you! I had no idea they would act like that.