Virus attempt on cat site anyone else?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Shouldn't your AV catch that, though?
Actually, his didn't, but that may be because his computer wasn't infected last night. Whatever it was didn't do anything bad or wasn't able to. I'll do a more thorough inspection later to make sure nothing slipped by, but I doubt I'll find anything.

In the past when my windows pc was infected by that trojan Avast did alert me that something was happening, but it didn't stop it and wasn't able to get rid of it. I had to manually remove it - simple enough as it wasn't able to do much due to how I had everything set up in the os.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I'm using Firefox on Mac and it's happening to me almost every time I try to access the forum now.
i'm using Camino on a mac, no issues - but i also have ads turned off. sounds like it's from one of those.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Too much pops up, and very quickly, to screen cap it all.

It takes IE to a fake page called "My PC online" and there's a fake warning saying:

"Warning!! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware programs presence.

Your system requires immediate anti viruses check! Antivirus 360 will preform a quick and free scanning of your PC for viruses and malicious programs."

The fake page looks like My Computer, and it has red numbers in parenthesis under drives and folders saying things like "155 trojans".

Those that get this, whatever you do, do not click ok or cancel! Cancel the process (IE) completely.

...now I need to go make sure DH computer is fine - obviously I'm seeing none of this on my pc.
I experienced this yesterday as well.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms cat love

I have firefox and i had a lock up yesterday while on TCS.. Looked like some pdf was trying to download.. I shut down and rebooted.
Yes!! That's exactly what happened to me!! I remember now -- thank you!! It was like a filename except all numbers ending in PDF, right?

Whatever ad is the culprit is still out there.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the trojan horse warning too...and I agree that it seems to be ad related. I noticed that it only happened when the thread I clicked on was advertising voomba wallpaper site? or something similar to that name.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's a good clue. We should be looking for that so we have something to report.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Yes!! That's exactly what happened to me!! I remember now -- thank you!! It was like a filename except all numbers ending in PDF, right?

Whatever ad is the culprit is still out there.
Yes.. It only happened to me once when i tried to click on a new post.. Only i cant remember what post!!