Vicks humidifier with Vicks Vapopads

Gwenkb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m a new cat owner here. I just recently got my cat, but I have my humidifier long time ago. I usually having headaches so I use the Vicks vapopads to get relaxe (normally I just using the humidifier only with water, and no essential oils or any medical). So for the Vicks vapopads it’s including eucalyptus oil, menthol, glycol, cedar leaf oil & others. I know these are toxic to cats. I wonder if when I use this vapopads in my room without the cat, will it be harmful to my cat. Since I don’t usually use it, and it is in my bedroom with the door close, and my cat is outside in the living room. It is really helpful if I know more information, since I’m just new to having a cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI! Welcome!!

Thank you for being a concerned cat person :)
Based on the way that you're describing how you're using the product, although I'm not a vet I believe your cat will be ok.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A number of years ago during the awful Camp Fire in Northern California, I was forced to buy an air purifier. Being technically inclined, I bought one that was Wifi connected with all the fancy sensors. I'm glad I did because it gave me opportunity and insight to test things like, "how does a diffuser in one room affect the air quality in another?" The results were surprising. Now this purifier doesn't break down what components of the air set off its electronic nose. So it's possible the water vapor itself was responsible. Even still, the evaporated oils will be part of that vapor. A diffuser in one room running for 30 minutes is enough to spike the air quality to unhealthy levels as measured in the other room. I did not have a closed door between the rooms though.

To be on the safe side, I would avoid using essential oils in your humidifier with your cat even if a door separates you. If you can maintain that door between you, I wonder if the Vicks Vapo Rub product would be any better. But if the cat is going to eventually join you in your bedroom again, that might be the same problem. Cats have very sensitive noses and lungs.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet though. You can ask your vet or the manufacturer.

Or if you think these vapopads are something you will use regularly, you might conduct an experiment of your own. Run the humidifier with the vapopads with the door closed for the duration you would normally run it. Then run your cat down to the vet to have her blood checked for signs of elevated liver or kidney function. Discuss the experiment and its results with your vet.