Vibrating Mouth?

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As odd as that sounds, that is what our kitten Mylo does whenever he plays with the laser. He already learned that we control it, so every time we whip out the laser, he starts looking around for it on the floor even before we press the button. In addition to this, he opens his mouth, as if panting, and it vibrates (?). I am not sure if I am using the right word to describe this. His mouth opens and it then closes a little and opens again vigorously. Almost like he's laughing.  He also does this when he sees the laser point on the ceiling. It is really bizarre!

Here's a few pics I tried to capture of him doing this:

Does this happen to anyone else's cat? Under what circumstances? 

I am not worried about this, but I just want to understand what is going through his mind and share experiences with this.

-Ana 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is common.  It is called chattering and is believed to be quiet stress relief when they are stalking prey.  Turn all the noise off in the house and see if he is making a chattering sound.  It will make you
Mine do this when watching the squirrels and birds from the back porch. I have seen three of the ladies in a row, watching and chattering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is common.  It is called chattering and is believed to be quiet stress relief when they are stalking prey.  Turn all the noise off in the house and see if he is making a chattering sound.  It will make you
Mine do this when watching the squirrels and birds from the back porch. I have seen three of the ladies in a row, watching and chattering.
The apartment tends to be very quiet and yep we hear the chattering hehe. I was giggling while taking the pics and extending my arm as far out as I could so I wouldn't distract him. He didn't always do this until the beginning of this week. My husband and I were like "OMG! Did you see that?!" It was pretty funny. Our older cat doesn't do this. Or at least not while we are around. I guess you could consider it a personality thing like most cat behaviors. 

Oh cats are full of surprises and good times.