Vibes needed for my rescue hamster.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please let us know how the little guy is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for not coming back to this thread earlier, but the last two days have been incredibly busy for me -- between work, my pets, and my little Sampson being at the vet...I'm just grateful that I have tomorrow off along with some time to catch my breath. But, please know that you've all been in my thoughts and knowing that my dear hammie had so many prayers and vibes being sent his way has brought me peace during this difficult time.

But, enough about me. I know you all want to know how Sampson is doing. And, while I'm surprised beyond belief (and very, very grateful!) I am here to post that Sampson is still with us
. In fact, not only has he beaten so many odds, he is back home with me

Sampson survived Thursday night at the vet and yesterday came and went with his gaining strength. It was still touch and go, but the fact that his diarrhea lessened was really what helped us realize that he may, in fact, be able to turn the corner. Yesterday he continued to receive antibiotics, anti-diarrheal medication, sub-Q fluids, and Bene-bac. He also received an injection of a stronger antibiotic (whose name I cannot seem to remember at the moment) and was given some pain medication to help ease his discomfort. I did visit him early yesterday morning and again after work in the afternoon -- the difference between morning and night was astonishing and my vet and I decided that if he continued to improve overnight that I could bring him home after work today. And, despite what appeared to be a grim situation, little Sampson did, in fact, come home with me this afternoon

Sampson is not out of the woods, but his condition appears to be improving and I now have a lot more hope than I did just mere days ago. He was off his food all through Wednesday and Thursday and is still not eating as much as he should be, but he has started to nibble and the big news of the day was when I saw him drink from his water bottle (at this point, we are back to giving him plain water in his bottle). He is still quiet and sleeping quite a bit, but he did do a little climbing in his cage and even explored a bit. I wouldn't go as far as to say that he has his strength back, but he certainly doesn't seem to be as hunched or wobbly as he was in the past. I literally cried as I watched him drink, munch, and hobble around this afternoon -- I was just so happy. Or was it relief? Either way, he is a miracle in my eyes and I hope he continues to progress and move forward as he deserves all that life has to offer.

Now that he is at home, he is off of all of his original medications. He may be put back on another antibiotic in the coming days, but there was some strong concern that he was being over-medicated at the vet's office and we are trying to ensure that he doesn't become ill from too much antibiotic. Due to the nature of his illness and his earlier prognosis, we went all out with meds and some of those medications can cause liver and renal damage as well as GI upset (these are normal side-effects and in this situation the potential benefit far outweighed the risk). But, being that he is drinking and eating some, we are less concerned that he was negatively impacted. And, with no diarrhea, it seems like the GI upset is not going to be too problematic. His last dose of antibiotic was yesterday at around 4:00pm, so if we were to see some negative or lasting side-effects, we'd have started to experience them already. And, while he's not going to be considered free and clear for a number of days yet, things are definitely looking up.

Right now, I'm thrilled beyond words. And, I'm so grateful! But, I'm also afraid that he's suddenly going to go downhill and that I'll lose him yet. In fact, writing this post was hard as I'm terrified that I'll jinx myself (or, rather, Sampson). I can't lose him -- especially after being given so much hope. But, it's in God's hand and I know He hasn't brought me and Sampson this far to just let us fall...

Please, continued prayers and vibes would be appreciated for me and my Sammy hammie. I know TCS has been so wonderful to me and I cannot express my gratitude in words. I'll just have to believe that you all already know...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Positive thoughts, positive thoughts! don't think about jinxing, think about how he's going to keep getting better and better. Hurray!

I actually clapped my hands when I read he was doing better and is at home with you.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God Alison, I was so afraid of reading this post, and now you just made my day, and my night, and my weekend!!!! This is just the best news!!!!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many many many many many many move vibes for your little fighter!!!! He will only get better and better now!!!
Big hug for you