Vibes needed for feral kittens today.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I have had this argument with a vet before and he finally admitted (after I dumped a rather large stack of research on his desk) that 'oh well I thought it was better you spend your resources on an adoptable cat, rather than one no one will want'

This is a rescue that doesn't euthanise for FIV status and have several up for adoption, but not their usual vet. And sure enough, the cat tested negative on his followup SNAP test (at a different vet
)

That being said, the rescue won't adopt out FIV+ cats to a negative household, they either go with another FIV+ rescue, to a FIV+ home or by themselves because someone threatened to sue them when taking a FIV+ cat if he bit her resident cat (she wasn't allowed to adopt but it made them aware of the potential for a lawsuit)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woohoo, we did it! We had our monthly meeting yesterday, and I brought all of the documentation you guys shared and I also shared your stories about FIV. We have agreed that from here on in, no kitten will be tested before 6 months of age and that there is no proven reason to put down the kittens who DO test positive at 6 months as long as we can find homes/caregivers for them.
Thank you all SO much for your input!