Vibes needed, because the grass isn't always greener

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will be long, so please bear with me.

Many of you might know that I recently had a baby girl. I was home for 8 weeks with her and began to feel a bit lost as a woman and wife. I knew I was a mother, but I never want to be defined by my children, so feeling lost wasn't so great.

I knew I would return to work and I was excited. In that 8-week period of being home, I forgot about how it is to work where I work. I was desperate to start getting out of the house and to be ME again, and I didn't pay attention to just how stressed and unhappy I might be here.

I've been in this job for 6 years. In that time, I have dealt with supervisors who made promises that they couldn't or wouldn't keep. All our raises and pay increases are merit-based, and that system is pretty subjective based on how your supervisor uses the system.

My former manager, for three years, kept telling me ways I could improve my performance to be considered "exceeds expectations" and every time we came around to review time, I met the criteria she laid out to exceed, but she swore she wasn't allowed to put me in that category because she was only "allowed to make one person exceeds and I was told it had to be so-an-so."

That manager is no longer employed here (she left on her own accord) and we now report directly to her supervisor. Since then, I have been given less and less work but she keeps telling me I need more work otherwise I'll never be able to "exceed."

Here's the thing, I received two 1/2 percent raises in the last two pay increase cycles. This may seem like a good thing, but when that 1/2 percent is only $180/year before taxes, it's really just crumbs. Our graphic designer, who misses deadlines, has a reputation of being difficult to work with and who cannot keep assignments organized, told me today she received a bigger raise than I did (1 percent, but she makes more so it's more of an increase).

I am feeling so extremely discouraged by this, but what really gets me is THIS part:

We're hiring a new writer. The person they chose has been described as being inexperienced and will need training. She's being offered $2k/year more than I currently make.

I feel like no one is being honest and for some reason, they refuse to either fire me or help me get ahead.

What I need vibes for is that DH's last two raises (he's gotten SIGNIFICANT raises) are enough that I can stay home.

I thought I wanted to be back at work, but this stress and feeling completely worthless here is really not helping me. Did I feel lost at home? Yes, but I never felt disregarded or useless.

Could I talk with my supervisor? I have and she thinks that having me deal more with students and non-writing tasks is a good thing, I don't want to. I want to write if I'm a writer. To not give me writing assignments is guaranteeing that I do not meet or exceed expectations because I have to have at least 40 writing assignments in the review period. I can't meet that goal if I don't get writing assignments. I really do feel as if I'm being set up to fail, and I have no idea what to do about that.

So any vibes would be appreciated and if you were able to get through all of that, I appreciate it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow that bites the big one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those pay policies make NO sense.

Many vibes he gets enough of a pay raise so you can stay home!

And as a writer - I don't know what you write about - but why not blog? There is paid blogging out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh wow that bites the big one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those pay policies make NO sense.

Many vibes he gets enough of a pay raise so you can stay home!

And as a writer - I don't know what you write about - but why not blog? There is paid blogging out there.
Thanks for responding!

I'm hoping to get away from writing for a living, because I really wanted to do technical writing (which is what I was hired to do) but am being forced to do journalistic writing. The problem with not writing at my current job is that my performance has to measure my writing, not all the other crap I'm given to do.

It's really just convoluted and biased, and I hate it. The system is subjective in it's design which leaves the biggest raises going to those under an "easy grader" and the lowest going to those under a "hard grader." It's purely based on how your boss views you, but yet you're measured against everyone in the entire organization.

I'm currently looking at another job in my entire organization but in another area of expertise (Web admin instead of writing). My love is technology, and that's why I got into technical writing. My hobbies include building computers and systems, so it's not far-fetched.

But I found out today that within the organization, directors and managers talk and they talk about where people fall in the performance-measuring system. If you're not a "top performer" you probably won't be considered, so I have that going against me.

I just hope DH is making enough for me to stop working.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sit down with your husband and crunch the budget numbers. Your job might be costing more than you think; compare your income (after taxes) to the cost of working: transportation to and from work (if you drive include wear-and-tear, tires, maintenance, etc. not just gas costs), wardrobe for work, lunches eaten out, and dinner take-out if it's too late to start cooking by the time everybody gets home. Add in daycare, additional transportation to and from daycare, any unpaid leave you have to take (if your child is sick, for example), any tolls or parking expenses, and anything you pay someone else to do because you are working an outside job.

Being a stay-at-home mom isn't for everyone, though. I was completely ready for it and looking forward to it, but still I've had moments where I feel I don't really contribute to society any more; mostly because it's a tough job and you don't get paid any money to do it. To combat that, I've volunteered at my daughter's elementary school for five years, and made some good friends recruiting other moms who had time to help out. When you child is little, you can join mom-groups and connect with other women that way, and it's great to talk about your kid to someone who wants to hear it (and vice versa).

Good luck, hope your husband gets that raise!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The workplace you describe sounds a lot like the employer that nearly drove my best friend over the edge -- utterly dehumanizing management systems, Stepford supervisors who insist on trying to quantify things that are qualitative by nature, pettiness and politics at every turn. How dare they acknowledge one person's excellence and ignore everyone else's so they can award just one "exceeds?" That's a policy guaranteed to (a) ensure unrealistic and unfair employee ratings that skew low, (b) build resentment and unrest among the staff, and (c) save them short-term money.

This is the kind of workplace that will suck the soul right out of you. Oh, I hope you're able to get out of there!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that figuring out a budget and those raises for your husband will help you stay at home with your kids, or at least stay home with them while you're looking for another job. It really sounds like the job you have now is straight from Purgatory. Best of luck to you!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

The workplace you describe sounds a lot like the employer that nearly drove my best friend over the edge -- utterly dehumanizing management systems, Stepford supervisors who insist on trying to quantify things that are qualitative by nature, pettiness and politics at every turn. How dare they acknowledge one person's excellence and ignore everyone else's so they can award just one "exceeds?" That's a policy guaranteed to (a) ensure unrealistic and unfair employee ratings that skew low, (b) build resentment and unrest among the staff, and (c) save them short-term money.

This is the kind of workplace that will suck the soul right out of you. Oh, I hope you're able to get out of there!
Thank you! I completely agree with you here!

Originally Posted by Winchester

I hope that figuring out a budget and those raises for your husband will help you stay at home with your kids, or at least stay home with them while you're looking for another job. It really sounds like the job you have now is straight from Purgatory. Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sit down with your husband and crunch the budget numbers. Your job might be costing more than you think; compare your income (after taxes) to the cost of working: transportation to and from work (if you drive include wear-and-tear, tires, maintenance, etc. not just gas costs), wardrobe for work, lunches eaten out, and dinner take-out if it's too late to start cooking by the time everybody gets home. Add in daycare, additional transportation to and from daycare, any unpaid leave you have to take (if your child is sick, for example), any tolls or parking expenses, and anything you pay someone else to do because you are working an outside job.

Being a stay-at-home mom isn't for everyone, though. I was completely ready for it and looking forward to it, but still I've had moments where I feel I don't really contribute to society any more; mostly because it's a tough job and you don't get paid any money to do it. To combat that, I've volunteered at my daughter's elementary school for five years, and made some good friends recruiting other moms who had time to help out. When you child is little, you can join mom-groups and connect with other women that way, and it's great to talk about your kid to someone who wants to hear it (and vice versa).

Good luck, hope your husband gets that raise!
We actually do consider all of those things when we look over our budget in general, so it's already set up to consider if I were to not work.

And I give props to those who can stay at home and not go stir crazy. I know it's a full-time job in and of itself, and fully respect the women who find fulfillment in it.
This won't be an easy decision and if I'm able to find a new job instead, I will definitely do that. I love my daughter, but I know that all of us would be a happier family if I were happier. If that's by staying at home instead of a crappy job, I'm there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh. Stuff like this is why I am convinced most managers are complete idiots. I hate formal reviews. They don't motivate me one iota. Quite the opposite. They force you to work yourself to the bone and then beyond the next year since you must always be improving. Even if circumstances (like the economy for instance!) change; you've still got to do better because what you are currently doing is obviously not your best... For this reason I give corporate America my middle finger.

Being a stay at home mom is HARD. It's the job I always wanted and currently have...I wouldn't give it up...but there are days I would love to have an excuse to step out for a bit. There are always new challenges. We had a breath holding spell here the other day. Freaked me out. But man it can be good too! I love being the one to teach my little girl things and watch her grow. I love watching her eyes light up. I love being silly and dancing together. I don't love tantrums, whining, etc.
I had different expectations. I figured we'd have a clean house. hahahahahahahaha! Not likely anytime soon.
And lovely home-cooked meals every night. But every minute I spend with my child instead of cleaning is worth it. I appreciate little things. I have a small veggie garden this year for the first time. I love that it's "my" project. I get to go outside alone to water and weed and what not. I usually do this toward the end of the day when the birds are out singing in full force. It's something that previously would have been a chore; but now I find it relaxing. Who knew?

If you do decide to be a SAHM; I hope you find a way to make life fulfilling for you. You will need to maintain your own identity somehow. It can be difficult; and what does it for you may change. But it's an incredible opportunity at the same time. It's amazing to see ALL of your child's firsts! First time rolling, when she sits up on her own for the first time, gets on all 4s and starts rocking...then look out because crawling is coming!! Cruising and those first precious wobbly steps!

One thing I love to do is meet a friend for lunch about once a month. Sometimes we go shopping together too. (Her boys are in daycare because she works part time.) I get adult conversation with someone who understands kids! It used to be hard to do a lunch out; but it's gotten much easier and we generally go when it's not rush time.

Good luck in your decision!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Ugh. Stuff like this is why I am convinced most managers are complete idiots. I hate formal reviews. They don't motivate me one iota. Quite the opposite. They force you to work yourself to the bone and then beyond the next year since you must always be improving. Even if circumstances (like the economy for instance!) change; you've still got to do better because what you are currently doing is obviously not your best... For this reason I give corporate America my middle finger.
Amen, sister!