Vibes for Wellington and Bonaparte needed

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh SO happy to hear he's feeling better! (And Wellington too!) Yes, :cross: the catheter comes out today (and he can leave solitary!) and all is OK! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The catheter is out, the collar is off and he came home, went straight on his litter box and did a proper pee!! Yay for pee!!. I will keep him in solitary for a few days to make sure I can monitor his peeing properly, but he is certainly much better. What is worrying is why it happened. After Wellington had a similar episode three years ago I put all the cats on a good quality urinary food (2 vets and I discussed the differences between 3 major makes today and they agreed with me that the one they are on is the best for them) and they are on low calcium water. The water here is very hard and full of calcium and both cats had calcium stones and gravel as well as struvite crystals. So what more can I do?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Yay for pee!

I'm glad he's feeling better. Hopefully they can figure out what's causing it...if they're already drinking low-calcium water, it's odd that they're still getting calcium stones.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap: Jenny - you must be so relieved today :D. I really hope Bonaparte continues to PEE and feel good :cross: And Wellington more vibes too :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just catching up with doing some reading.  Sending lots of prayers for the boys naturally.  Let's hope all goes well.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, is the food designed to target a pH neutral urine in the bladder? Before c/d, the Hill's Pet urinary prescription food was x/d, and it targeted a more acidic pH because so many cats had problems with struvite crystals. Then as pet food manufacturers began to address the issue with urine acidifiers and lower ash content, the pendulum swung the other way - more cats were turning up with calcium oxalate crystals. Hill's Pet then changed the prescription urinary formula to target a neutral pH, not acidic.

My vet said the problem with calcium formation isn't only calcium - though we were to stop feeding the cats cat grass (or any dark greens, though they only ate grass), go with purified water (low mineral content)... but avoid foods high in magnesium. That meant no more shrimp as a treat for Tuxie, for example.

So I'm not sure on what basis the prescription food was evaluated. But one - or a diet - that's low in ash that targets a neutral pH might be what's needed, if that wasn't the target before? :dk:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, Laurie. My vet said much the same, and currently Bonaparte is on RC urinary formula. The vet said it would neutralise the urine and was lower in magnesium etc than the Sanabelle I have been using. But she thought I could revert back to Sanabelle when he finishes the RC. I have been thinking and analysing what could be the cause and I realise that he has often been caught eating Tasha's food. He is the only cat she will allow near her bowl and I do not always stop him as they are such friends. But I wonder if that could contribute to the problem - I know dog food is bad for cats, having ground-up bones etc in it, and I could kick myslef for not being more careful. From now on I am going to feed her where she sleeps, in the entry hall, where he can't get at it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:cross: that not allowing him to stibitz Tasha's food helps. I didn't know Sanabelle had a urinary formula. That's something I'll have to look for, because Jamie has decided he won't eat the Eukanuba at the moment, and I need something to supplement the Hill's and Royal Canin, or he'll start refusing them, too.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cross: that not allowing him to stibitz Tasha's food helps. I didn't know Sanabelle had a urinary formula. That's something I'll have to look for, because Jamie has decided he won't eat the Eukanuba at the moment, and I need something to supplement the Hill's and Royal Canin, or he'll start refusing them, too.
Zooplus stock all Sanabelle's formulas in France and Germany, and deliver free on large bags.

Bonaparte is completely b ack to his old self today, so he will be rejoining the others out of isolation tomorrow., except to feeding times. I hope to get Wellington's results on Wednesday.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap: Very happy to hear this about Bonaparte :D :vibes::vibes: For him to continue to be well :cross:

For Wellington's test results :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was amazed when I let Bonaparte back in with the others last night. Tasha went crazy, she jumped on him, barking, tail going nineteen to the dozen, then came running to me, jumping up, barking, back to him and would not stop. I thought she knew where he was but obviously not. She was definitely saying to me 'Look mum, he's back!! He's come back, isn't it wonderful!' She has not been herself the last few days, so she was certainly missing him.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, that's sweet! :heart4:

For some reason I never noticed the Sanabelle Urinary at zooplus - I've just ordered a small bag to try.