Vibes for Stumpy please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to all that are responding to my recent teeth pulling vibes for Stumpy. To keep a history going in this thread, Stumpy's right and front teeth are being pulled this Monday. He's in severe pain and medications cannot help him anymore. The only way to relieve his pain right now is to remove his teeth or euthanize. We're opting for the teeth.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no doubt that you have made the right decision for Stumpy.

I have heard that cats do fine without their teeth.

I will be thinking of your precious boy on Monday & sending vibes for a quick recovery.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little man! I agree that you've made the right decision for Stumpy. Lots of cats do just fine without teeth. He'll adapt. Sending good thoughts your way that all goes well with his surgery.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed for him - are the vets going to do pre-anaesthetic bloods and put him on a drip? Cats can do fine without their teeth, the only thing you will have to watch really is grooming - but I have had 2 completely toothless cats, and both have managed to eat wet and dry, and Ginger even managed raw meat as long as it was cut up small enough.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Fingers crossed for him - are the vets going to do pre-anaesthetic bloods and put him on a drip? Cats can do fine without their teeth, the only thing you will have to watch really is grooming
Honestly, we didn't talk specifically thru the procedure on Monday. I was a little wiggy when we made the decision on Thursday but also trust my vet - she does a lot of dentals surgeries.

We're already having to groom him. He's been fairly greasy since this all began so that routine shouldn't change for us. He's short hair and his coat responds well to a good brushing with an occasional wet wipe.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hugs and easy dental surgery vibes for Stumpy.
I hope this helps relieve his pain and all the other problems he has had.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy's surgery was done by about 10:30 this morning and we picked him up around 4. They removed the IV when we picked him up so he still has a cute little bandage on his arm.

They removed less teeth than they thought they needed to. He still has his left side teeth and 3 of the 4 canines - the other front teeth were removed. He lost the 4th canine many years ago and we never knew how he managed to do that.

You can tell he's still fairly groggy, but he was hungry and ate a bit of canned food. He's on pain medication for the next 5 days, pred every other day for life and antibiotics for a week a month for the rest of his life.

All he wanted when he got home was to be with his dogs. He was anxious for the first 30 minutes or so when hubby wouldn't let him with the other animals, but then we realized he would relax if his puppies were with him. A few hours later we let loose the rest of the cats and no problems with any of them. Spanky even sat next him for a while as if to guard him from the other cats (the strange vet smell can trigger attacks).

We are going to settle down on the sofa and let him come snuggle with us. Try to get the bandage off soon as its beginning to bother him.

I personally think he's going to wake up in the morning feeling like crap. We'll have the pain meds ready to go for breakfast. I hate to see my babies feeling like this!!

Thanks for all the vibes. We'll see in the next few months if this treatment has been successful.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that Stumpy came though his surgery and is recovering at home where he is happy.

I will keep him in my thoughts and am sending him lots of healing vibes for a quick recovery.
Keep us updated about his progress.

Stumpy

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I am so glad that Stumpy came though his surgery and is recovering at home where he is happy.

I will keep him in my thoughts and am sending him lots of healing vibes for a quick recovery.
Keep us updated about his progress.

Stumpy
Sending lots of prayers for a speedy recovery.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope that the dental extractions were successful! I hope Stumpy heals quickly as well, poor baby.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that Stumpy's dental surgery went well. I hope he's feeling better soon and that the long term results are all that you hoped for. Hugs and healing vibes to Stumpy.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed, I am glad they didn't have to take as many teeth out as they thought, but I bet he doesnt feel as crap as you think, I have only had issues after dentals with one of the cats I have, and the majority of the ones that come here have had to have dentals.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He was gulping down dry food today - he really doesn't like canned food all that much. And I just caught him chasing Oscar up the basement stairs and down the hall at full pace.

He's my alpha. Tough as nails and I shouldn't doubt him in the least.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish you had a picture to share of your boy running at full speed.

Way to go Stumpy.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds as if Stumpy is back to his old self. I'm so glad he came thru his surgery so well. He sounds like a tough little guy. Sending him loads of ear skritches.