Vibes for our bipolar son

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a great day today! We went sight seeing to a town with interesting things to see that is a little over an hour from here. I was raining but that was okay - we need the rain.

On the drive home, Ben said that he had fun today. That means so much to DH and me. And for Ben to have had fun - priceless.

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know I have learned that if there is any upside in situations like these it's that you really learn to appreciate those tiny little things so often missed in everyday life! Like how simply "he had a good time" can mean so much and be priceless! I am glad I could help! It makes me happy when I can share a part of my life with someone and then have it help them in some way! It means its not all for nothing. Still sending those good vibes your way and hoping there are many more priceless moments to come!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really feel for you and your family. Mental illness can be very difficult and with such a stigma attached it can at times make it even harder. I can empathise with you, i understand the roller coaster of emotions, the ups and downs, unable to make real plans as you never know what that day will bring. You sound like you are doing the very best for your son and in time he will benefit from it. He is of course coming up to a difficult stage in any childs life when hormones start running wild and changes are quick and often. I was told by a proffesional that in times of high anxiety or irritability that suggesting an activity that needs hand and eye coordination has a good calming effect. Even a computer game could be good like that. Things like knitting (prob not something your boy would be in to but an example all the same), baseball, tennis, painting, drawing, musical instruments. The future is hard to see when your focus is demanded in the here and now. Your son though, could grow up to live a relatively independent life. He may always be on meds or have therapy or have emotinal issues, but he does have hope to be his own man. There are many positive results with 'learned behaviour', where you put in to practise what you have learnt from a therapist say and you have the knowledge to overide your own extreme behaviour. This of course would come in time. Your son is unique as are we all, he still has a future ahead of him and he has the chance to have a good one. You are certainly doing all you can to ensure that by the sound of it. As he gets older, with the help he needs, he still could do well. All the best to you and your family for now and in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as an update, Ben has had 2 really good days in school this week - 100 points each day (these are behavioral points). He was off school Mon and Tues so this is actually so welcome after the 2 suspensions.

I hope that things continue to get better. I am concerned about Thanksgiving week which he has off. Ben doesn't adjust to changes very well - things started to deteriorate after we returned from a vacation to see his sister at college. I hope that we can keep him focused during the break.