• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone.
He is pretty special.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Many healing thoughts and good vibes coming to your grandpa. What a wonderful long life! Has he written a memoir, or maybe recorded some stories on video? Oh, the things he must remember!
I don't know how much has been written down. My aunt would have been the one to be able to get that out of him.
He is a typical tough farming man - pondering on the past just isn't something he did when I was ever around. Working on the farm was much more important than that! But Diane is the baby of the family (Dad was in high school when she was born; he's the oldest) and the only girl. She can get whatever she wants from Grandpa.
I know she's done the family tree and was working on a family history.

He served as an Army cook in WWII on the Mediterrenian front. I know he saw the Taj Majal, the Sphynx when it was buried up to its neck and obviously the Pyramids - when they were just stuff way out there in the desert, not the tourist destination they are now. The one thing that he gave my mother of all people is his journals when they were on leave and they went to the Holy Land. It wasn't Israel yet. He called it "Following the Footsteps of Christ." He sent it to Mom after her first battle with cancer when she went into remission. He hadn't shared that with anyone else in the family. I haven't seen it all - I know it is type-written and he sent along a shopping bag (paper bag with handles) at least 1/2 full of photographs.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! The Sphinx before it was excavated! The Holy Land before it was Israel! The journals, the photos... oh, this needs to be assembled and shared! Maybe you could find a historian from some nearby college who would like to take it on as a project for publication...?

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh my gosh! The Sphinx before it was excavated! The Holy Land before it was Israel! The journals, the photos... oh, this needs to be assembled and shared! Maybe you could find a historian from some nearby college who would like to take it on as a project for publication...?
I'm drooling over the history he was witness to.

Valanhb, how is he doing this morning?