Vibes for my dad are Needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still haven't found out weather he has rabies or not. I just hope dad goes to a better docter, and doesn't find out to late.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ilovecats

Still haven't found out weather he has rabies or not. I just hope dad goes to a better docter, and doesn't find out to late.
Jenny, rabid dogs are pretty rare nowadays. Any time somebody gets bitten, and it's not clear whether the dog has been inoculated against rabies, it's usual to keep the dog in quarantine for a while, as a precaution. There's no need to get yourself so worked up about it. The worst that can happen is that your dad has to get a painful shot.

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? The dog was a stray, as my mom now tells me. She says that its could be deadly. I guess she's wrong.

Thanks Tricia!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Rabies is deadly, but it's more common among wild animals like foxes or raccoons. The shot is effective if given within a short time after a bite, though. It's no longer a question of a series of shots given in the stomach, at least where I'm living now.
There has been a lot of information about rabies in the German media over the past few months, because a German woman contracted it while in India, and died after she returned home. We're having trouble with it among foxes in my county right how, so hardly a week goes by without a newspaper article on it, and anybody working with feral cats has been given information sheets.
I imagine the rescue group will try to find the dog's owners, and if they can't, your dad may have to be inoculated. Again, they're talking about it in his case because they're being cautious, and there's no reason to panic.

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness! What a kind-hearted dad you have!
Bless his heart. To the bone, OUCH!!! That sounds way painful.

please keep us updated on his condition. The dog had a tag on it? So that means it was someone's dog? So if that is true, I would think that chance of it having rabies would be smaller. I pray that your dad (and the dog
) recovers quickly!

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks Lacey.
Dad looked to see if the dog had tags, we don't know if he did, because the dog ran off.

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ilovecats

Aw, thanks Lacey.
Dad looked to see if the dog had tags, we don't know if he did, because the dog ran off.
You're welcome! Gotta go, and won't be on again until Monday probably, so until then I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny, sorry but some things just don't add up-

You said that the dog is in some kind of rescue in one of your previous posts but just now you said that the dog ran off???

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me explain:

The dog did run off, animal patrol was called, and we're hoping that he was caught and brought to a shelter.