Vibes for Me, Please. (Female Related Issues, You've Been Warned!)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a very scary thing to be facing and you have my sympathy. And lots of vibes for a good outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I may have jumped the gun and got everyone worried too soon but it helped to read everyone's replies while I was waiting for results...

I went this morning to the doctor to go over the biopsy results and get a treatment plan. She said when she got my pathology report back she was shocked because every one of my biopsies came back as "Mildly Abnormal" - three abnormality 'grades' better than indicated by the PAP! The endocervical brush sample came back as "normal"! She said she had called the lab back to make sure she had the right report because this was totally unexpected, she was expecting to be either doing the LEEP procedure (to remove the abnormal sections of cervix) or sending me to oncology today. The test did confirm I have "Asymptomatic High Risk HPV", which we were aware of beforehand.

She wants to re-test the PAP and do another Colposcopy in January to follow up on this, but for now she says the tests show no reason why I should be concerned about having cervical cancer at all. This was totally against what she expected after seeing my cervix during the colposcopy and what I was prepared for - but for the better! Maybe TCS vibes really are magical!

My family is all breathing a sigh of relief, and DH and I are going to go out tonight to celebrate. We are, however, also going to talk to our marriage counselor about how to deal with situations like this in the future regarding his anxiety. Its not fair for me to have to deal with things on my own like I did with this.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and hugs. Keep us posted. It helps to talk.

<edit> just saw your update. I'm glad to hear the good news, but still if any worry lingers we here are glad to listen and offer support.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this thread now. I think the worst is the waiting part, the not knowing. The suspense is killing us all!

I am happy you got an asnwer this morning though and that it was a great one! What a relief fo you and your family!

I'll just add that my mom had an abnormal pap a year or so ago, and she ended up having to get that LEEP procedure done. She's fine and well now, and keeping up with her screenings.

Best of luck with your DH too, I hope some counseling can help lots. People need to be able to talk!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you heard good news day! Anytime you need anything please call or stop by! You know where I live! So no excuses!

Good luck with everything dear!

On another note: Thanks to you I cant turn on our hall light without laughing now!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, that wonderful news was totally unexpected!
I'm very relieved for you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that the news is positive!!

Make sure you get PAP tests every single year without fail. Actually, since you are high risk, you should be getting them twice yearly.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definite vibes for you. Perhaps it's just a big old scare. I've had about 5 abnormal ASCIS smears but then it cleared up. Hopefully that will be the case with you, as well!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

... and for laughs I thought you said colonoscopy ... and went huh why
That was my first response as well

I'm soo happy to see the good news! (I had to go back and edit my post after I reread the thread update!)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a ca-125 (blood test for ovarian cancer) come back abnormal once. I know what you went through and I'm so glad that you got good news.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am SO happy everything worked out okay! It's so frightening to have such a serious health scare. You must be so relieved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

... and for laughs I thought you said colonoscopy ... and went huh why
Actually that was my first response. I was like "WHAT? Why on earth do I need to do that?!?!?! What does that have to do with my cervix?!?!?!" They had to explain. DH had a colonoscopy a few months ago, I surely hope to avoid that at least til I'm older, ugh!g

Thank you everyone for your replies and support. We are very relieved that this came out the way it did and not how the doctor expected. We are doing a followup in January and the doctor got clearance from insurance for me to have repeat PAPs 4x a year if necessary as with the HPV I am considered high risk for cervical cancer. She said if everything is OK in January she will probably have me follow up for a PAP 2x per year, but if I have more abnormality we will watch it 4x.

Isn't being female FUN!?!?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Actually that was my first response. I was like "WHAT? Why on earth do I need to do that?!?!?! What does that have to do with my cervix?!?!?!" They had to explain. DH had a colonoscopy a few months ago, I surely hope to avoid that at least til I'm older, ugh!g

Thank you everyone for your replies and support. We are very relieved that this came out the way it did and not how the doctor expected. We are doing a followup in January and the doctor got clearance from insurance for me to have repeat PAPs 4x a year if necessary as with the HPV I am considered high risk for cervical cancer. She said if everything is OK in January she will probably have me follow up for a PAP 2x per year, but if I have more abnormality we will watch it 4x.

Isn't being female FUN!?!?
This is standard. Also, if it persists past a year, they'll probably repeat the colposcopy and biopsy to make sure that it hasn't gone beyond low-grade.

I've been through this same process since 2006. The wonderful news is that HPV has no impact on pregnancy. You can get pregnant, have the baby, and be perfectly fine even with abnormal paps, if that's something you and your DH have been thinking about (no need to tell us here, just thought I'd share that with you).

I just had a colposcopy, but the area was so small, they didn't biopsy. They won't re-pap until postpartum.

I'm a bit astounded that your doctor reacted so poorly without all the test results. It was a bit knee-jerk of her to react the way she did. She really caused a lot of anxiety and fear without having proper information. I hope that she learns to be a bit more prudent in the future, because it really was unnecessary. :/