Vets

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well over here you're unlikely to switch from one to another as you enrol for both human medicine and veterinary medicine age 18 after school. You can take a year out first of course, and it's not impossible to be a late starter but they're not the easiest of courses to be accepted on if you're a bit older. And I think having dropped out of one or the other would make it pretty impossible to get onto the other. However, I did have a friend who wanted to be a doctor for as long as I knew her (since age 11) but when she did work experience age 17 decided she wanted to be a vet instead. She got accepted at a prestigious university to study to be a vet but after her first year changed her mind again and switched to the human medicine course at the same university.

I do think being a vet is harder than being a doctor because there is more than one species involved. Vets have to learn the anatomy of several species and understand what medicines are appropriate for which species, differences in dosage etc.

I'd expect vets to like animals, but the attraction of being a vet probably lies in the science and detective work needed to diagnose a sick animal as much as in being fond of animals. A certain amount of emotional detachment is probably needed too given that many patients will die.

I remember taking a sick hamster to a vet several years ago to be put to sleep. It was a weekend so I had to go to a different branch that was open on a saturday and not the vet who had seen the hamster previously. The vet was a huge, tough looking man but one of the gentlest I've encountered. He took my hamster into his hands and looked close to tears as he admitted that pts was the best option. I could tell he would loved to have been able to save him and valued even the smallest life. That meant a lot to me at the time.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I remember taking a sick hamster to a vet several years ago to be put to sleep. It was a weekend so I had to go to a different branch that was open on a saturday and not the vet who had seen the hamster previously. The vet was a huge, tough looking man but one of the gentlest I've encountered. He took my hamster into his hands and looked close to tears as he admitted that pts was the best option. I could tell he would loved to have been able to save him and valued even the smallest life. That meant a lot to me at the time.
This is the best part of working for a great vet and at a great practice. I am so lucky to have worked with such great people.
I agree that vets are not taught manners, some have them , some dont.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to see so many willing to speak up for vets. In my opinion we blast them way too much in these forums. I haven't always been thrilled with my vet but I recognize she is an individual with strengths and weaknesses. I don't think she is incompetent, just not perfect. And you know what, I'm not perfect either (purty darn close though!
).

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMHO, I think a GOOD vet would be one who does not declaw. Period.

Finding a vet who does not declaw would be like finding a needle in a haystack. I would love to find a vet who does not declaw, I have searched, but to no avail.

IMO, if a vet declaws, he has no compassion whatsoever for any pet whether for dog or cat-he is a vet only for the $$.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

IMHO, I think a GOOD vet would be one who does not declaw. Period.

Finding a vet who does not declaw would be like finding a needle in a haystack. I would love to find a vet who does not declaw, I have searched, but to no avail.

IMO, if a vet declaws, he has no compassion whatsoever for any pet whether for dog or cat-he is a vet only for the $$.
How about someone who is elderly and on blood thinners who has a family cat who scratches her on occasion and she bleeds and could get an infection. Would you like that cat put to sleep instead of having it declawed? Some owners do not have a choice! Or maybe having this elderly person who loves the cat so much and she needs it for companionship should try and find another home and cause stress for all invlolved to avoid declawing the cat?

There are alot of reason cats get declawed. I personally do not declaw my cats and understand while some people need to have there cat done.

Its not that cut and dry and this is off topic.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vettech

How about someone who is elderly and on blood thinners who has a family cat who scratches her on occasion and she bleeds and could get an infection. Would you like that cat put to sleep instead of having it declawed? Some owners do not have a choice! Or maybe having this elderly person who loves the cat so much and she needs it for companionship should try and find another home and cause stress for all invlolved to avoid declawing the cat?

There are alot of reason cats get declawed. I personally do not declaw my cats and understand while some people need to have there cat done.

Its not that cut and dry and this is off topic.
My mother is elderly and could get an infection yet the cat is NOT declawed as the one was ( she is in my siggie) it changed her disposition ...

I have a IMMUNE disorder and if scratched take care of it .... YES technically a scratch or bite could kill me , that is a risk I TAKE ... BACK to the topic

I have a great vet that knows what her patients folks can afford and works accordingly ... often that means instead of a RX a natural remedy from the local health food / supplement store

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alcool9999

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone so many posts to read

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

My mother is elderly and could get an infection yet the cat is NOT declawed as the one was ( she is in my siggie) it changed her disposition ...

I have a IMMUNE disorder and if scratched take care of it .... YES technically a scratch or bite could kill me , that is a risk I TAKE ...
Well, that is your choice, others have their choice. To eaches own. Its a controversial topic. I see both sides and remain open minded.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being "open-minded" has nothing to do with the brutality of de-clawing. If your vet de-claws, my advice is to look for a better vet. Yes, that's just my opinion, but I know it is shared by many people who care more for their animals than their possessions.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get a better vet? Some vet declaw to save a cats life!

ok,This is the last post I am making on this topic. Being in the vet tech profession for over 12 years I have seen at least 15 cats in a sit and wait decision cage.

I have begged the vets I worked for to let me keep a cat at the hospital that an owner wants declawed or sent to a shelter due to medical reasons. I am talking here strictly on medical reasons, not "possessions" being shredded by cats. I would try and adopt the cat out
I have tried myself to adopt many cats out, shelters were full, some cats were sent to "no kill" shelters and lived its life in a cage as it was not to be declawed so now it is homeless and maybe somewhere dead or put to sleep as once the cat is out of my hands I am out of control.

I had a cat who stayed with us for 1 1/2 years at the hospital and finally i got him adopted. Everyone wanted kittens. We did not really adopt, it was special cases, such as housing a cat so it would not be declawed or put to sleep. Well this cat came to me 2 months later and I was doing CPR on him and preparing him for a chest tube, he died in my arms. The owners let him outside as he was clawing their furniture and knew we did not want him declawed. You want to talk about pain? Was it worth it to not declaw this cat?

I had a vet when I was new as a tech ask me to assist him in euthanizing two cats 4 years old as the owners would not declaw. They would not let me help them find homes. I quit my job that day and never would assist in euthanasia of an unwanted cat ever.

Death is final! Living in a cage is not the answer either!

There is no one answer to this complicated problem

No one can share on this unless they have been through this. People who do not look at the whole situation and what is best for everyone involved with the cat. Being so closed minded can get a cat killed.