Vet's Best Hairball Relief for constipation

tpapictures

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard that many people here and elsewhere benefit from the psyllium and slippery elm to help with their cats' constipation. But this question applies even if you just use it for hairballs. It is a digestive aid after all. The question is.. everyone seems to talk about how well their cat took to it instantly. My cat doesn't like it at all. Now, of course, we still haven't tried just crumbling it lightly over his food and slowly increasing the amount. But the first introduction to it wasn't good just smelling the pill, which was a shame because it seemed the smell of the jar had intrigued him.

Anyway, any tips for how you got your cats to eat this stuff? Our cat is a rescue we adopted about 6 months ago and it has been an absolute ordeal just to get him away from the crap he had been eating at the shelter to a better food he now eats. But there is no interest in food exploration at all. Any help would be awesome for tricks on getting this stuff into him.

Thank you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mix meds (not this particular one) into either plain meat baby food or tuna juice. If it's a tablet, I crush into food. If a capsule, I open and sprinkle the contents into the baby food or juice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What are you trying to accomplish - treating hairballs, or treating constipation? Or are you thinking the hairballs are causing constipation? Do you really find a lot of hair in his stool? Or, is he coughing up hairballs frequently?

Depending on what you are feeding him, to help with hairballs you can add a drop or two of olive oil to his food. Or, place a dab of butter on his paw or let him lick it from your finger. It could also help with constipation, but often that has to do with a lack of moisture (water and wet food).in a cat's diet.

Regulate brushings can also help reduce the amount of hair a cat digests.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tpapictures

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. What are you trying to accomplish - treating hairballs, or treating constipation? Or are you thinking the hairballs are causing constipation? Do you really find a lot of hair in his stool? Or, is he coughing up hairballs frequently?

Depending on what you are feeding him, to help with hairballs you can add a drop or two of olive oil to his food. Or, place a dab of butter on his paw or let him lick it from your finger. It could also help with constipation, but often that has to do with a lack of moisture (water and wet food).in a cat's diet.
I've just heard of people using it for constipation because of the slippery elm and psyllium. He also happens to have hairballs but our concern is that the backup is made worse by hairdballs. But constipation is our main concern, though he drinks enough water as is and it is a challenge to get him to eat more wet food than he does already. He is nt very food motivated and he will get himself into an anxious upset state if we don't let him eat food he is interested in.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just heard of people using it for constipation because of the slippery elm and psyllium. He also happens to have hairballs but our concern is that the backup is made worse by hairdballs. But constipation is our main concern, though he drinks enough water as is and it is a challenge to get him to eat more wet food than he does already. He is nt very food motivated and he will get himself into an anxious upset state if we don't let him eat food he is interested in.
Is he on wet or dry food? What's foods does he like now? That's a good place for us to start.

To prevent constipation 3 things are needed:
- fiber
-water
-oil
You need to know what's "missing" from the cats diet to resolve it. This will be different per cat, really. They are individuals with different metabolisms and such.