Veterinary Nutrition Consult... Experience? Recommendations?

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our poor Pawnee... first a horrendous vaccine reaction, then histoplasmosis, and now idiopathic cystitis. The last flare was bad: dripping blood clots as she walked across the floor... We got her through that, but she WILL NOT EAT ANY of the therapeutic diets, no brand, no flavor, no can size, etc. Appetite stimulant mirtazepine will get her to eat some of it for a day or two, but no more. I am not nuts about those formulas anyway. My vet agrees that we need to do something different, but admits she does not have the detailed nutritional expertise to evaluate what alternatives would be best. I have no problem with doing a raw or homemade diet (did it for some years with an IBD cat that helped her enormously) but I don't know what recipe is right for this ongoing urinary / bladder problem. So I am seeking a reputable, credentialed expert for a consult, either to supply recipes or recommended commercial foods and/or supplements. I have some info from Lisa Pierson; and am waiting to hear for details from the U Minnesota Vet School, which offers phone consults. I live in the Chicago area, but have not found that U Illinois, Purdue or U Wisconsin vet schools offer anything. If anyone can suggest other places to contact, or can share their experience (good, bad, indifferent) with such a consult, I would like to hear about it. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - these folks are pretty awesome. I don't know which department is appropriate so I'm giving you several.

Contact the Department of Biomedical Sciences

Colorado State University
1680 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1680

Phone: (970) 491-6187
Fax: (970) 491-7569
[email protected]

Contact the Department of Clinical Sciences
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
300 W. Drake, 1678 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1678

Phone: (970) 297-1274
Fax: (970) 297-1275
[email protected]

Contact the Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences
1681 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1681

Phone: (970) 491-7038
Fax: (970) 491-2940
[email protected]

Contact the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology
1619 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1619

Phone: (970) 491-6144
Fax: (970) 491-0603
[email protected]

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
jstie jstie I live in the Chicago area also and will private message you with some suggestions. I have been very fortunate to receive exemplary veterinary medical care and would be more than happy to spread the word. I sincerely hope Pawnee can get the urgent help she needs soon. :hugs:

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This vet hospital offers courtsey consults for vets: Referral Services - MSPCA-Angell There's a nutrition dpartment with a board certified nutritionist.

Tufts Veterinary School also offers a consult for vets: Veterinarian Nutrition Consult Request Form

This company does custom made pet diets based on a pet's medical history: https://secure.balanceit.com/ You do need to buy the company's proprietary pre-mix. The baord certified vet who founded the company used to work at the vet hopsital here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pawnee update: thanks to a member on this group, I was able to arrange a consult with a local specialty practice who has a veterinary nutritionist available. We filled out forms, sent in records, etc. After a bit of a communication glitch, which caused some delay, I got the nutritionist's email today. Basically, he said I was doing everything right in what I had tried. However, her records show that she has an inflammatory cystitis NOT caused by crystals or stones, and there is no evidence that diet (prescription or otherwise) has much effect on this brand of FLUTD. So his recommendation was to give her whatever high-quality wet diet she likes, with some water added. I could also add a sprinkle of fine table salt just to encourage drinking (she actually drinks frequently on her own). He also sent a recipe for a plain cooked meat diet with the balanceit supplement mentioned above. He had recently been on a meeting with an expert in idiopathic cystitis, and he had confirmed that the theraupeutic diets, both Rx and OTC, have no evidence of effectiveness for this. So, the good news is I can stop obsessing over what she eats. She does tend to eat one thing and then refuse it after a few days, but we've found that we can rotate through 3 or 4 different types of premium canned food or my raw mix recipe, and she'll eat readily. I'll add some water, and that's pretty much the best we can do. He also mentioned stress reduction (she is the most laid-back cat on the planet, but we can accommodate that well enough), clean litter boxes, etc. So I feel content that we have explored the diet aspect as much as we can, and it IS a relief that I can stop worrying - she can eat whatever good stuff she likes and it won't hurt her. She's doing well now (god, I spend my life with half an ear cocked for the gush of pee every time she's in the box...), and hopefully we can carry on! Thanks to all who sent suggestions and sympathies!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - Thanks ever so much for the update! Members here ROCK.
Due to the fact that many manufacturers of both wet and dry cat food are adding sodium, I would be hesitant about following through with the suggestion to add salt. It sounds like you're ok with what you're doing water-wise in any case. If you don't already have a water fountain you could try that, and also if you can, filter the water with a pitcher or faucet-end filter.
(If by chance you do run into food refusal issues again, there are topper products, as well as things like tuna, purebites treats or her favorite treat crumbled into or onto the food, baby food with no onion or garlic, nutri-cal, and kitten milk replacer).
I'm SO thrilled for you that you can relax and enjoy her rather than dealing with the stress :vibes: :redheartpump:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Pawnee update: thanks to a member on this group, I was able to arrange a consult with a local specialty practice who has a veterinary nutritionist available.
;)

So happy this worked out for Pawnee and you. All the members here are very dedicated to helping with information and support. :thumbsup: