Vet will neuter our cat at 8-9 months old... Isn't that too late?

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neuter timing

My male kitty will be 6months when I return from a vacation. He will be 5 months at the end of this month. The vet has recommended neutering at 6m. I am concerned about the variability of sexual maturity and the occurrence of urine spraying. In order to ally my fears re spraying should I neuter at 5m plus rather waiting till I return, I will neuter him early sept, approx 3 wk before he's 6m. I also have a 6m spayed female.
Thoughts on that plan?
Thanks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to predict when/if spraying will start. It's usual in Germany to neuter at six months, and our last cat was "fixed" at that age and wasn't spraying. He did start spraying at 3 1/2 years, but fortunately that was mainly in the backyard. An intact male had sprayed there, and that started Jamie spraying in strategic spots whenever I took him outside. He did it for the next ten years. The only time he did it in the house was when a tom cat sprayed the outside of a cellar window. Neutering isn't fail-safe, in other words.

What does your vet say? I'd suppose a few weeks probably wouldn't make much of a difference as far as the surgery is concerned, so if you're worried about spraying, go for it. It's common in the U.S. for kittens to be neutered much earlier.

Last edited:

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old thread from 2013, but I am SO glad I read it. My vet doesn't want to neuter my kitten Happy before 6 months and I was scared he would starts spraying everywhere. From what I understand, wheb he starts spraying it means it is time for him to be neutered - hopefully if this happen my vet will agree to proceed with the operation!
I thought I was being an awful cat mom by not arguing more with the vet, but this thread reassured me. I really like this vet, he is so calm and soothes Happy with his huge hands (the vet is probably around 6 feet 7 inches tall!) and has been really patient with me and my 3000 questions.
So, for the spraying... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.