Vet Visit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet visit went well, the vet says her gums and inside of ears are nice and pink. Also she listen to her heart and breathing and it sounded perfect. She did take blood from her to see if they can narrow it down to why she is turning her nose up to eating and drinking. They also gave her some fluids because she was just a bit dehydrated. The results of the blood come in tomorrow.

Also they told us to try a wet food they have to see if she might like it. I gave her some when we got home and she sucked it back, which is good because it also has water in it.

So will wait for the results tomorrow.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was the wet food they gave you to try Hills A/D?  It's used to help very ill kitties because it's easily digested but it's also one of those rare foods that most kitties love.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kind of mad right now...........

I get a call from the vet saying "we are so sorry but gabbys blood was compromised and we need a fresh sample " and that I need to bring her back today to have more blood drawn. So I have to put her through hell again and take her back in a hour. We were suppose to have the results today and now have to wait unitl Monday for them.

Just frustrated right now.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back home.

The vet was able tun a basic test there from the blood from yesterday and said everything looks great. The blood work that goes out today will be more thorough but she doesn't expect any surprises. so that kind of calms our nerves a bit.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys

I noticed that she is still not drinking ( I dont think as the water level didnt come down much in her dish last night ) when the vet gave her fluids on Friday night they said that it wouldnt kick in until 24 hours later which would have been last night. She has gone pee a few times. Is that maybe why she is not drinking as she still has the fluids in her from Friday? She is eating her dry and wet food.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps hold off on the dry food until she's drinking again? Wet food has a ton of water in it, which will help loads. The other thing is to perhaps offer some boiled chicken and let her have all the water you boil it in too? My cat loves that. Wishing your kitty all the best and is back to her normal self again soon.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheers,

Thanks. Shes not eating as much of the dry food as the wet. She loves the wet stuff,lol. She is acting normally aside from the fact I don't think she is drinking. The vet was right on Friday though when she said the fluids she was given wouldn't hit her until Saturday night. She went pee a few times yesterday.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She spent about a hour and a half running around the basement chasing balls this morning ( which is usually when she sleeps ) after she got done playing she just crashed. It was funny one minute she is running around and 20 minutes later is sleeping,lol

I guess that's also a good sign right? hopefully she eats and drinks later on.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also she had a spoonful of wet food around 7am ( its now 3pm ) and she hasn't touched her dry food or water at all? I try to put the water dish in front of her and she walks away as if I am annoying her by doing that.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just keep fresh water for her, perhaps try it in a few places that she knows where to go to find it. Our vet suggested putting our water in a glass and fill it right to the top and it's the only way our cat will drink any, which is still rare. He also said keep it away from his food bowls which we did - I put it on a window ledge.  I also tried ice cubes, to see if he will chase them and also put them in his bowl, neither worked for our cat, but it may grab some interest in yours as a game.

If you are really concerned that she's not drinking or eating much, I really would suggest removing the dry food until she is back to normal with her eating & drinking. Dry food isn't that good for cats anyway and you'll not be doing any harm whatsoever in taking it away.  I would offer wet food more often too, perhaps mix the flavours up a bit, or even warm it up a bit so it smells more.  As I said before, try boiling up some chicken then shredding it up in the water. I used this for when my cat had a UTI to keep flushing it out and it's a great way to get more liquid down them. He liked it so much, I have a supply in the freezer and I defrost a portion every few days or so. Being a fussy cat tho, if I give it to him every day, he doesn't eat it!

Best of luck!

Last edited:

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I do keep water in a couple areas for her. I dont know if she is not drinking because she is mad that I keep putting water in her face. I also put the water in a glass and fill it to the top.

She was drinking a little before the vet gave her the fluids on Friday and since then I don't think she has touched her water. Like I was saying she is acting normally every other way, just doesn't want to drink or eat and when she does eat its only a little here and there.

How long should a can of wet food last for, she has almost a whole can gone since Friday evening. And thats with the dry food down for her also

Last edited:

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I myself also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks so anytime something is even a little worrisome it affects me more then most people. I will tell the vet tomorrow and see what she says. She told me on Friday that she can give medicine that will want to make her eat, but will that work for drinking too?

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She most likely will give your cat an appetite stimulant. Drinking, not sure, but by sticking with wet food she will be getting quite a lot of liquid down her anyway. I think wet food is something like 70% water?   It does sound like she's lost her appetite but by trying things that are strong smelling - like a little bit of tuna in spring water or treat food, like ham or chicken you may just naturally kick-start her appetite anyway. Warming her food does help too because it smells more. Not too much fish tho as it's not great for cats.

Please dont worry too much, the fact that she's playing so much is a really really good sign. Played for 90 mins is excellent, mine doesn't ever play that long!  And yes, I wouldn't keep following her around with water, you may create an issue with it! She knows where it is and will go get some when she feels thirsty.  Try the ice cubes, worth a try, or a running tap if she likes that kind of thing.

Again, good luck!

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

How long should a can of wet food last for, she has almost a whole can gone since Friday evening. And thats with the dry food down for her also
One can of food in just over 2 days isn't much and would make me think that at least 50% of your kitties food is dry. If you go onto wet (which is a better option of cats anyway disregarding your worry about water) I would say at least a 5.5 ounce can of food a day would be suitable - and have a look at what it recommends on the back of the can and take in account your cats size, how active your cat is as she may need more if she plays a lot.

Last edited:

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the reassuring words. Yeah she just ran around for about 10 minutes chasing a laser pointer,lol. Now she has gone to lay down. I will try the warming of her wet food.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys

Well she has been eating and drinking in the night. And this morning ate and drank as well. So hopefully she is on the mend.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got the call from the vet..

Her bloodwork is perfect, the vet was glad to hear that she is eating and drinking again. Maybe she was just in a mood last week??

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think kitties get little virtually harmless viruses just like we do.  I'm glad your kitty is back to normal.  It's really hard not only because they can't tell us what's going on but they try very hard to hide illness, so your just never really sure what's going on.   She is at the right age for getting complete blood work done to get a baseline anyway so it wasn't a waste to get it done.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! Kittens DO get viruses, it usually takes 3 days to work through their systems, and the core of this is to make absolutely certain this kitten stays well hydrated.

Viruses can kill a kitten if it is dehydrated, when it should not have happened. In other words, a simple virus is not a big deal as long as there is complete hydration for recovery.