Vet Trip Changed My Kitten? Help!

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet maybe two/three days ago.

Before, my kitten, Murphy was a happy, cuddle bug, and full of kisses. Now, after vaccinations and some deworming, he has changed a little bit. Like I would go for a pet, he would run off. He sometimes allow it. He doesn’t bite me or anything bad. It is just not like him.

I hope he is okay. Is it because he is a kitten? Should I call his vet? He is 9 weeks old. I don’t want him mad it me.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always call and ask your vet questions. Is Murphy eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally? You could try to see if you can get Murphy to play or try offering him treats before you try to pet him. I do not believe Murphy is mad at you he could just be feeling scared still a little from the vet visit. My Starbuck used to do the same thing when she was a kitten. I would get a wand toy out and play with her when she did not want to be petted. After play I would give her some food or treats and then try to pet her. She seemed less likely to run off when I tried to pet her after the play time and treats. I hope this helps you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If everything else about Murphy is normal, eating, sleeping, drinking, elimination, then I think that Mr. Murphs is just pouting at you a bit. I mean, you hauled him off to a total stranger who visited indignities on his tiny royal body! The good part is, I've never known one to hold a grudge about something like this for longer than a very few days. Do as catlover73 catlover73 suggests, grab a wand toy, get him engaged, and he'll be your little love bug again in no time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
catlover73 catlover73 He is playing, drinking water and eating. Doing everything he should be doing. I will call the vet Monday because unfortunately they are closed tomorrow. Thank you for your help and reply!

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I just hope he comes around in these next few days or weeks.

I am sorry if I sound like I am overacting, I just want him okay and a happy kitty. ❤

Last edited:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet maybe two/three days ago.

Before, my kitten, Murphy was a happy, cuddle bug, and full of kisses. Now, after vaccinations and some deworming, he has changed a little bit. Like I would go for a pet, he would run off. He sometimes allow it. He doesn’t bite me or anything bad. It is just not like him.

I hope he is okay. Is it because he is a kitten? Should I call his vet? He is 9 weeks old. I don’t want him mad it me.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a feral siamese, TAZ. Oh how I loved that little thing, he adored me and would sit at the bathroom sink, into the kitchen when I washed dishes or did other domestic stuff.
I should have known he was stressed when I put him in the carrier to be neutered and he pooped BEFORE I got to the car! I cleaned the mess, I took him in. That afternoon I picked him up and when we got home he made a point of making sure I KNEW he was NOT HAPPY! For 10 days he would not look at me or follow me, he would turn his back at me and GLARE AT ME over his shoulder. One morning my loving TAZ was back and life was good!

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
You did! You were right!

I am sad because in few more weeks, he has to go back to the vet...

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did! You were right!

I am sad because in few more weeks, he has to go back to the vet...
My 10 year old female Starbuck is terrified of car rides and hates being near anyone but us. A vet gave us a sample Feliway Wipe and told us to wipe down the carrier before her next visit. Hubby had to take her to the vet on his own while I was at work and usually it takes two of us to get her in the carrier. He wiped down the carrier before trying to use it. He told me she fussed a little bit being put into the carrier. She was fairly quiet in the car. She usually screams like she is being murdered in the car and pees on herself. She did not pee on herself. She actually walked out of the carrier at the vets office on her own. She also did not hide after she got out of the carrier at home like she normally does. I would look into this product and see if this would help your baby. My hubby said Starbuck acted like a different cat and was much calmer about her vet visit. Starbuck has a reason to hate being in the car some jerk abandoned her out of a car window when she was a 4 week old baby. She still seems to associate car rides with bad things even now 10 years later.

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old female Starbuck is terrified of car rides and hates being near anyone but us. A vet gave us a sample Feliway Wipe and told us to wipe down the carrier before her next visit. Hubby had to take her to the vet on his own while I was at work and usually it takes two of us to get her in the carrier. He wiped down the carrier before trying to use it. He told me she fussed a little bit being put into the carrier. She was fairly quiet in the car. She usually screams like she is being murdered in the car and pees on herself. She did not pee on herself. She actually walked out of the carrier at the vets office on her own. She also did not hide after she got out of the carrier at home like she normally does. I would look into this product and see if this would help your baby. My hubby said Starbuck acted like a different cat and was much calmer about her vet visit. Starbuck has a reason to hate being in the car some jerk abandoned her out of a car window when she was a 4 week old baby. She still seems to associate car rides with bad things even now 10 years later.
I’ll look into this! Thank you! ❤

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a feral siamese, TAZ. Oh how I loved that little thing, he adored me and would sit at the bathroom sink, into the kitchen when I washed dishes or did other domestic stuff.
I should have known he was stressed when I put him in the carrier to be neutered and he pooped BEFORE I got to the car! I cleaned the mess, I took him in. That afternoon I picked him up and when we got home he made a point of making sure I KNEW he was NOT HAPPY! For 10 days he would not look at me or follow me, he would turn his back at me and GLARE AT ME over his shoulder. One morning my loving TAZ was back and life was good!
:lol2: :lolup: :lol:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:grouphug::grouphug2::lovecat2::catrub:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess if the ONLY TIME you left the house was to go into a building full of strange smells (of terrifed animals or in our case PEOPLE) and have strangers poking and probing. We would NOT WANT TO EVER LEAVE THE HOUSE AGAIN! I KNOW my blood PRESSURE when I see a white jacket goes way up!