Vet story

cind11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mirror, I feel so badly for your cat and you. We had to have our 6 yr. old baby put to sleep in early February. This was after 6 wks. of trying to make him better. And he WAS better, only to have some horrible infection do him in. They kept telling us near the end that everything was probably fine, even after I kept calling there and telling them all these weird things he was doing. (of course as it turned out he WASN'T fine) I guess trust your instincts. I hope things will go better for you. It so hard to see little, trusting animals when they're sick.

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your baby gets better! I'll keep her in my prayers. You would think that people who go into the vet business would do so because they really care about animals. It's sad when you find someone with other priorities. Trust your instincts.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again, Mirror. I can really understand why you are upset - I've been through the same thing (with a dog, rather than a cat), and things did work out fine. I sure hope the ultrasound doesn't reveal pneumonia or heart trouble (though the latter is sometimes easier to treat), and that the antibiotics help. The cat might actually be fretting less than you think, since if she's really sick she probably sleeps or dozes most of the day - I don't think the animals are much different from us, and as bad as a hospital stay is, at least it's boring and you're forced to rest up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...She came home last night. Her name, by the way, is Akasha. (we were reading Anne Rice at the time. It was the '90's, dammit. Sue us.) She truly has been the queen of the damned these last few weeks.. >:}
Anyway, the ultrasound didn't show anything. No heart or lung problems. The vet said there wasn't any major liver changes from her period of fasting. All looks good. She's up and around, grooming (sort of), vocalizing, running out to the hall to explore, and is REALLY hungry. She'd lost 2 1/2 pounds in about 2 weeks time. I'm actually glad now that she was sort of a fatty beforehand. They gave us a TON of medicine to give her. Nutritional supplements, vitamins, more antibiotics, anti-nausea pills... The whole vet medicine cabinet, looks like.
All in all, I can't complain... Yet. The vet bill is AMAZING. I'm pretty sure that if anything had happened to her I'd have stiffed the vets, so they're REAL lucky.
Only problem seems to be that the damn sneezing is coming back slightly. I don't know WHAT IT IS. It's driving me farging crazy. We've scoured the place. All I can think of is that it is something outside. Some irritant that's being released outside the building. Makes me totally paranoid, because my nose kinda hurts, too. My wife has been complaining of nose trouble all night. Hard to live in New York and NOT feel paranoid, I guess.

I guess if it presents itself as badly as it did before, we are going to run the cat up to my mother-in-law's place and just wait til Akasha gets more fortified against whatever is going on here. Her sister WAS sneezing for a bit, but she seems to have beaten whatever it is down. I think A. probably had NO immune system to speak of, so she was bulldozed by whatever wanted to infect her...
Only other thing that bothers me is that she is REALLY favoring her rear legs now. She can barely jump up onto the couch, acts like she's going to trip a lot... Anyone know if the back legs are stretched out hard during operations and procedures? That might explain it: A pulled tendon or muscle... I guess we'll see what happens.
At any rate, I wanted to thank all you wonderful people who made suggestions or just offered a nice word. It was a great help to me, my wife, AND my cat. Muchos grassy-ass!!
perhaps I'll post a pic later.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mirror
I'm so happy your baby is home with you again! Yay!!!
And maybe you'll post a picture?? MAYBE??? Show us the kitty pictures!
:tounge2:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Mirror. I'm glad Akasha is home and doing better. I wonder if you, your wife and cats have hay fever? Some years certain types of pollen are worse than others.

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy for you that you got her back! It sounds like she's doing better.

And yes, sometimes they do stretch the legs during surgery. I worked at a vet for quite awhile, and we always tied the animals down once they were asleep before we operated. (That's because sometimes they twitch, just like during normal sleep, and you don't want them to move or fall off the table.) That by itself shouldn't cause a lot of pain, though, if that's it she should be fine in a couple days.

Plus, depending upon how they operated, they may have had to push her legs apart a little in order to be able to access all of the bladder stones to take them out. Hope she feels better soon!