Vet says "put him down;" Need your advice

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's a handsome cat with a wonderful face! Give him a little time to mend and enjoy his food and I'm sure he'll be even handsomer, with a sleek, silky coat.

I hope you find a vet that you feel you can trust. The only other all-cat vet practice I know personally is in Arlington, but it looks like there's a place called "The Cat Doctor" in Peabody. Don't know how much of a trek that would be for you and Charlie.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jim2006

I had regretted doing it to Peter. But it's not reasonable to have an indoor cat that's not neutered. And they say neutered cats live longer, which I think is true.
Don't regret making the decision that's in your pet's best interest! And, it's true what you say about indoor cats, but even outdoor males are better off neutered--they don't get in mating-related fights, they don't wander across roads as much because they don't follow the female pheromones, and they absolutely cannot get testicular cancer (it helps that they don't have testiculars :p ).

If you get it done while they're young, they don't know the difference, and the cats I've known who had it done when they were older didn't seem to miss them at all. They really are quite useless on a cat that isn't part of a careful, intentional breeding program.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have a gorgeous little fella there. He is so lucky to have you.

I am so happy to hear that he's ok. You have no idea how much I was worried for you and your kitty. You both were in my prayers. Hope you have many more years together.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jim, it is so wonderful to see pictures of him, read the story of how you got him, hear that you got him neutered, and that he is doing so well... This is truly awesome! I am so glad I read this update before going to bed... I can now sleep sound!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not the best looking! Charlie is beautiful - I love his face and he's just a very, very handsome young man.

Here's wishing you both many happy years together.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love stories with happy endings. I am glad things are going to be okay for this cat. It was meant to be. By the way, he is a sweetie and a very pretty boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jim2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, this is long overdue. Charlie's ear problems have never recurred. And he is about as happy as a cat can ever be, I mean really. He just loves me and his life. When I come through the door after being out, he just jumps all over the place and makes all kinds of noises like he's really happy. I've discovered that he loves plastic bags, so I always bring one home. I play with him a lot. He loves to wrestle with my hand. He's much bigger now. I think he was just a couple months old when I rescued him. I haven't been able to let him sit in the window much because the heat this summer in the Northeast has been unbearable, and I've got the AC on all the time. I know he misses it. I am concerned that he throws up his dry food with some frequency (always the dry food, which might mean something; maybe I should take him off of it). But everything else is fine. Like I said, he's an extremely happy and active cat. As for the vet, that is still in the process of begin resolved. I'll let you know how it turns out. They billed me over $1000 for what was an ear infection.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy for you and Charlie!
Just goes to show you, trust your instincts. Please give Charlie a gentle head skritch for me. Good luck working things out with the vet.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Golly so glad to see this update! There is a lot to be said for trusting your own instincts.

You are so lucky to have eachother. It brought tears to my eyes reading this.

I don't know where the limit will ever be on the price of veterinary care. It just goes up, it seems at will.

Give that Charlie boy a belly rub (if you dare)! for me.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I have a cat that has Mega E. She cannot have any hard food at all or it comes back up. Not a big deal, she eats all ( Wellness and Innova) canned food which people say is way better for them anyway.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jim, great to hear from you and Charlie!

About him throwing up - is this right after he eats? Can you see the whole pieces of food in the vomit? If so what he is doing is regurgitating, probably because he is eating too fast.
One of the things you can do to slow him down is to elevate his food bowl a few inches - I have the same problem with Lucky, and I raised her bowl with a thick phone book under her place mat. Raising the bowl helped Lucky a lot.
Something else you can do is to put a baseball or a couple ping pong balls inside of the plate, or buy a slow feeder bowl - that will slow his eating down, helping to prevent vomiting.

Stick around, I hope to see you and your baby more often!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jim2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Hi Jim, great to hear from you and Charlie!

About him throwing up - is this right after he eats? Can you see the whole pieces of food in the vomit? If so what he is doing is regurgitating, probably because he is eating too fast.
One of the things you can do to slow him down is to elevate his food bowl a few inches - I have the same problem with Lucky, and I raised her bowl with a thick phone book under her place mat. Raising the bowl helped Lucky a lot.
Something else you can do is to put a baseball or a couple ping pong balls inside of the plate, or buy a slow feeder bowl - that will slow his eating down, helping to prevent vomiting.

Stick around, I hope to see you and your baby more often!
Yes, I can see whole pieces of food; it's clearly not been digested at all. This sounds like it might be his problem. I love how people help each other on this board. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you.