Vet said I have to give dewormer for 5 days but they only gave me enough for 3 days

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my kitten to the vet 3 days ago because he was lethargic and had diarrhea. The fecal tests came back negative but they said that it's possible the test was inaccurate, or that it might be GI issues. So they gave me Panacur for the possible worms and antibiotics for the other stuff. I've been giving those to my kitten and he has gotten better. But today after I gave him his third dose of panacur (.45ml per day) I realized that I ran out of it completely. But the instructions say that I have to give it to him for 5 days. I dont understand why the vet said to give it to him for 5 days but only gave me 3 days worth of dewormer.

My kitten is on Revolution (got his first dose 2 weeks ago) and I gave him a dose of Pyrantel two days before the vet visit. I do think that it was more likely that the issue was a bacterial imbalance rather than worms (based on the circumstances leading up to him getting sick). So I'm pretty sure it's the antibiotics that are helping more than the dewormer, however I'm obviously not 100% sure. I'm wondering if its absolutely essential that I go back to the vet to ask them for a refill of the dewormer. If I was low on antibiotics I would absolutely get a refill without even asking about it here because I know it can screw up the healing process if you cut the treatment short, but I wonder if its the same with the dewormer, especially since my kitten has already gotten pyrantel and revolution before this too. I can't call them to ask because it's a busy clinic and they're understaffed in the customer service department (if that's what you call it) so nobody ever picks up the phone when I call, and it's also a bit of drive away (and gas prices are insane these days!) so I just want to hear some opinions on whether its crucial I get the refill for the next 2 days or not.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dosage is 1ml per kg per day so what weight is your kitten. It should be given for 3 to 5 days. Does the bottle your vet gave you state how much is in it? Are you able to email them if they aren't answering your calls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 2lbs. The vet didn't give me a bottle, they gave me a syringe with the amount I'm 'supposed' to have, and then they gave me smaller syringe to measure it out for the daily dose.

I could try emailing them but I very highly doubt I'll get a response today.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Three days may well be enough for your kitten as he is so small. It is strange how the vet told you 5 days so I would definitely chase it up.