Vet(s)! Keep Saying Nothing’s Wrong, “she’s Healthy”. But I Know My Baby! [signs Of Sexual Abuse]

MyBabies-MyHeart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A3B2C1B6-30D9-4996-AACA-C8CD026825C7.jpeg
Hi, we are new here. I’m the Mamma, Kiki is my “Little” (Age 12-14?) and Haus Kitty (Age 17-21) is now our guardian angel... I found them in a cabin where they had been trapped with their dead owner for a week plus. Me being the “HELL NO— I DON’T DO ANIMALS! YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST HAVE A CHILD!!” — Blah Blah Blah kind of person— SOMEhow, became their human, and they became my heart.

So Kiki (my now one and only child) has always been the bold one. She also had ALWAYS wanted to be THE ONLY CAT. She is fearless, sometimes aggressive, constantly alert and on-guard, and lover of praise from people (for a moment then she “squaks” at you. If you heard her, you’d know what “squak” means.... LOL.

So——— three months ago my partner and I broke up. It was sudden and final— and Kiki has not seen her since. For the entire year prior, Kiki had been traveling back and forth with me each weekend. So, weekdays at our home, just her and I— and weekends at (the only other human besides me that she really really chose.) Her symptoms started the week following the break-up. I could go through the entire process/story to this date (it has now been 2.5 months of non-stop vet visits (subcutaneous fluids every 3 days, me trying EVERYTHING under the sun to get her to eat—- blood tests, x-rays, ah crap- I’m sorry I’m exhausted and can’t think right now. Point is, I have taken her in time after time again, spent several thousand dollars on all different kinds of tests, and finally they decided a couple weeks ago that she probably has a heart disease… Now where they got that out of all of this, I’m not sure – but at the moment I had maxed every $ out on vets and emergency, and did not have the additional $3000 or any way to get it right then (and of COURSE, no other payment plans ) to do the next test they wanted to do. So I got firm and said, “LOOK! I have spent every single penny I have (and even DON’T have), and NO ONE is listening to me—- there IS something wrong with her!! And then proceeded to continue to list symptoms which I will not take the time to do at this moment, because my point in this whole thread is that I want to ask you – not those of you who have taken in an abused animal, as there is lots of information on what to do in those circumstances. I want to know and hear from those of you who may have had any animal that you love and care for and who lives in your home that you discovered was being sexually (or any other form) abused. I had posted a request privately on my Facebook page to some of my people, but all I really got work and cats and sad tears – I really really need to know what your experience was with the following questions. I’m not asking questions about the backstory I gave you – as all of that is just kind of show you what she has been tested for etc. – at this point it is pretty clear that She has been being abused for the last 2 1/2 months – they kept saying she was stressed from the change in relationship, she is sad, etc. etc. etc.… But here’s the thing, – my baby is not afraid dash of humans, she has been being abused for the last 2 1/2 months – they kept saying she was stressed from the changing relationship, she is sad, etc. etc. etc.… But here’s the thing, – my baby is not afraid dash of humans, of other animals, etc. and, she has never been treated for any illness whatsoever for the last seven years that I have had her – until this 2 1/2 month. When everything changed. My point is, we moved to an unfamiliar environment at that time- our own apt, but within a home that 3 others rent as well. Oh my gosh – I’m getting off the point. I am going to just post what I wrote and if you wouldn’t mind communicating any insights you have to the below questions I had, that would be fantastic. I’m sorry at this point I may have made grammatical errors, but I’m voice texting as I haven’t slept in the last two days well we’re trying to get her OK again. Right now she’s crying when she tries to poop and then she throws everything up immediately that she even has eaten. She sleeps under the cabinets in the bathroom, so I moved my down comforter on to my bathroom floor with my pillow and would sleep with my hand stretched out as close to her as she would allow so that she knew I was here. Now she has moved out onto the down comforter, but she spends most of her day there and if she hears noises runs back under the bathroom counter. This is not my child – she is a freaking bad ass. But this child is scared. OK – that’s all. Questions below. And please forgive me if I made any errors in this post – this is my first time here and I read through the information but probably could have given it more time – I was just desperate to hear something right away. Also, do not worry, I’m not asking for a veterinary advice – we have another vet appointment, the second one this week alone on Thursday for more follow-ups. And, she is going every single place with me that I go until we figure this out – although I started rebuilding my business a year ago, so most the time I can work at home with her so that she doesn’t have to be toted around. Thank you for listening, and your feedback to my initial request below.
————————————-
My request: If your cat has been sexually abused by a human WHILE they were yours/and/or STILL yours, I have a couple questions. I need to hear from those who have observed, experienced, cared for, known and loved their kitties while seeing strange behaviors develop, unexplained sicknesses, emotional changes, etc and knowing something was very wrong but hitting blanks at every test until the day you finally suspected and soon thereafter knew.

1) What were some of the “symptoms” that your vet (vets) kept trying to diagnose, and the various “conditions/illnesses” they diagnosed your cat with while the abuse was happening.

2) If you could briefly let me know what types of changes from the list below you observed during the abuse, and/or later recognized as attributed to that once you’d discovered it.

a) Behavioral Changes, Mannerisms, Etc

b) Physical Changes-Weight, Face, Sounds, Breathing, etc.

c) Personality Changes

d) Eating Habit Changes

e) Sleeping Location/Time Changes

f) Frankly, ANYthing that you believe applicable at all!

3) How did your cat act/react towards the perpetrator. If they knew them prior to the abuse starting, what were they like then vs. the time that fit the abuse?

4) What actions did you take to protect your cat thereafter, and to discover again the ways you could provide the safest, calmest, warmest, most loving, self-less, healing home for them - emotionally, mentally, physically. ❤

*** I appreciate any experience you have to share, though I COMPLETELY understand how this may not be something you want to discuss. And to those of you— so so so much LOVE! And of COURSE, inboxing me your experience is awesome— though if you feel so led as to share it with others as well, so we may better identify the signs and take action, go for it! HOWEVER, I spent a great deal of my work day at the vet again, so I am going to disappear while anyone who chooses to share, does.***

Two final thoughts— please forgive the length of this request, though I suppose ya’ll know I’ve never been good at the whole “less is more” thing...

And lastly, please forgive this one, as I know I am asking a lot from you without “reciprocation”— but I do not want to discuss anything about myself and Kiki at the moment. My brain and heart are tired so please don’t take it personally.❤ Experiences will help, and we are taking one step at a time, though with each one I still hope that we hit a tide that rushes us away from this being part of her story. We will update you as soon as possible, and in the meantime—— BIG ❣❌⭕❤ from The Mama and her Kiiiiiiiii

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok this is a lot to read and take in but of course we all want to help. First of all what are the symptoms your cat is having specifically? Cats do everything possible to hide their pain and discomfort so what are you seeing that is making you think your cat was sexually abused? This is a very confusing topic.

"strange behaviors develop, unexplained sicknesses, emotional changes"

I would never in a million years go to sexual abuse unless you actually saw it happen.

These type of behaviors could be from stress, which if you went through a break up I am certain there was a lot of stress. Plus, and don't take this wrong, but your post seems like perhaps you are a bit stressed and frantic. This all affects your cat. There could be a cat hanging around outside and your inside cat picks up the smell and reacts differently or pees in weird places or whatever.

What KIND of unexplained sicknesses and emotional changes are you seeing? Cats go through emotional changes and develop odd behaviors as their living situations change. That is just how cats can be.

My point is you said a lot but didn't really say a lot. So please elaborate more. Hopefully we can help.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh I see your edit that you don't want to discuss Kiki but I honestly am not sure how to help you otherwise. I WANT to help. I have been a member here over 17 years and worked with thousands of cats but I think I need more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyBabies-MyHeart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Jen for your feedback – no, it is OK the discussion part but yes you’re right, I am having a lot of words without a very concise point at this moment. And if I disappear tonight, I absolutely will be back tomorrow to respond and hear things.

Yes, you are also right that I am stressed and kind of frantic today – things have actually been going great for about the last month and a half, in spite of Kiki‘s condition worsening. And, the reason that I am asking for people who have experienced it with their babies to share the particular signs and symptoms is because there is not really anything I could find — in books, on google, audio, and video— on the subject. The reason this all arose is quite extreme, and the evidence was horrifying—as identified and confirmed by the vet- which is why I’d prefer not to discuss it further right now. I’m having a hard time not collapsing into tears, which I cannot do right now.

I guess my point to the post was: yes, absolutely my current situation / relationally, locationally, etc would be more than enough to create stress for her. But as her symptoms continued to worsen, but at strange intervals (which can now be tracked to the rare times I was gone) — even as our environment and my emotional state stabilized — no one would listen to anything about the behavioral shifts, her aggressiveness and passivity, the hiding, the lethargy, no desire to play AT ALL or for treats- body tremors if I tried to pet her or pick her up, etc etc. Wailing (which she’s never done before) only when in the cat box, then vomiting anything I HAD been able to get her to eat, immediately. And lastly, she has had no exposure to any other animals at all – only human. So I hope that helps.

I’m so sorry I need to sign off for night to finish work but I’ll be back tomorrow. And again, thank you!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand, you don't have to discuss anything upsetting.

Lethargy and vomitting can be from numerous diseases too. Have you had a full blood panel done on her at all? I am sorry if you said and I missed it but I would be curious to know how her bloodwork all checked out.

Is she on any medication currently for any of her issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyBabies-MyHeart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s ok- yes, she has had multiple blood panels, screenings, x-rays—- basically, anything and everything the doctor wanted to explore I signed off on and made happen. The reason we did not do the ultrasounds etc. for the heart disease questions they were raising was two fold:

1) if we held out for them to do so, they could not do anything to ease her pain in that moment.

2) I absolutely had no more capacity to take out more credit and the next test was going to be around $3000. And the vet said that technically she could wait. Which I hate hate hate as I would always prefer have everything they can possibly do – but, sometimes that just is not realistic.

Lastly, what I am telling you is that yes, she may have some other issue going on health-wise, but the doctors are on the health part. I really want to know what types of symptoms could cross over each other, and that is why I was asking if anyone had experienced that having happened to their cat and the symptoms that had surrounded the abuse.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can't relate to any of this, but just wonder if this article might help at all. It's about abuse (not sexual specifically), and how to help a cat that has been abused)

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover

One thing I have to say is, if you suspect someone you are living with is somehow abusing Kiki, I don't think she will change until that person is completely out of her life. Even if she is now kept completely away from them, if she can still hear their voice in the house, she must still be afraid :frown:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you both have had a difficult time. Assuming that the abuser no longer has access to the cat, I would focus on healing both your cat and you by providing her with the calmest and safest environment possible. If she were mine, provided she is eating and drinking, I would hold off on any other vet visits or taking her out of her home to give her a chance to reduce her stress and rest. I would also suggest you visit with a therapist to help you deal your own stress.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
after reading your posts, i'm not clear on whether you suspect your cat has been abused in the past or is currently being abused.

mrsgreenjeens nailed it - "if you suspect someone you are living with is somehow abusing Kiki, I don't think she will change until that person is completely out of her life. Even if she is now kept completely away from them, if she can still hear their voice in the house, she must still be afraid".

if you feel your cat could be currently abused, take away access to her from the humans she's with or - if a roommate or family member - lock her in your room when you're not there with a serious lock that no one else has the key to. or put up hidden cams to watch what's going on. even better, move. if your ex or pet sitters might be abusing her, get her away from them altogether. don't wait!

btw, have you taken your cat to more than one vet's office? if not, perhaps you could get a vet unaffiliated with your current vet's office to read your kitty's test results. our very experienced vet missed that our cat had a vitamin D deficiency even though he had text book symptoms; he also misdiagnosed HK's flea allergy. no doctor is perfect, and having a vet check the charts would be a lot cheaper than doing more tests.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My heart aches for you and your baby.

A big city shelter/rescue might have nursed animals back from sexual abuse since cities are more densely populated. Maybe they have a vet that can consult with you and your vet on determining what is related to the abuse.

If she is drinking maybe KMR or a kitten slurry would be easier on her system while she is healing. Weaning

I can only relate my experience with humans and maybe it can apply somewhat. If you need more support than people in your life can give don't hesitate to go to a professional. Remember Kiki still has that strong girl inside her. Remind yourself of that when you look at her and give her love from that space.

If you're not able to move immediately and have secured your apartment and her room, you can use a fan as a white noise machine. Just put it outside her room and not pointed at her.